Repost - Windows 7 boot-up issue.

Re-posting this, I realized after reading my original post it didn't make a whole lot of sense, hopefully this is a little more detailed:

So I'm rebuilding later this year. While I wait I decided to just transfer my current computer components into the Fractal case I purchased for the new build, since it's so much quieter. Everything went smooth until I booted up, and got stuck at the "starting windows" screen. I let it sit just to see what would happen, and after about 10 mins I did a manual reset. After the reset, I did a startup repair, the only solution it could find for me was to restore to an earlier point where Windows worked properly, which I did. I noticed immediately that something was just wrong/slow/choppy graphically. I went to YouTube to test video playback, and was getting about .5 FPS. I decided to log into World of Warcraft to test that. I logged in, saw a frozen screen of my character, then it would switch to a black screen, then to another frozen screen of my character, 2 or 3 times, then it would go to desktop. I made sure I had the latest drivers, and restarted. Again it got stuck at the "starting Windows" screen, I had already been through this process several times, and even tried installing earlier versions of the video drivers, so I reset it. This time I chose not to restore to an earlier time and allow the repair utility to run. After about 15 mins of running, it said that it could not repair the issue. I ran the problem details and it said this:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
    Problem Signature01 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385
    Problem Signature03: unknown
    Problem Signature04: 83
    Problem Signature05: AutoFailover
    Problem Signature06: 1
    Problem Signature07: BadDriver
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

So here I am thinking, what the [bleep], all I did was take paarts from case A and put it in case B, what could have possibly gone wrong? So for shits and giggles I decided to do a clean install of Windows. In the middle of the new install it ran a chkdsk, but did not find any issues. The install went smooth, I'm thinking I'm in the clear. It does a few updates as normal, at which point I had to restart, which once again I was back to square 1 with being stuck on the "Starting Windows" screen. Once again I reset it, it ran startup repair utility and got me to my desktop. Another update was applied, I had to restart, and again I was stuck. I let the repair utility run it's course again and clicked on details at the end. Everything was successful until the very bottom it said this:

Root cause found:
    -----------------------------------------
    A patch is preventing the system from starting.

Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Cancelled

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair
    Result: Failed. Error code = 0x490
    Time taken = 350797 ms

I'm at a complete loss. I've never seen anything like this before, nor can I wrap my head around how it could have happened in the 20-30 mins it took me to transfer components from one case to another. If anyone can help out or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Deleted
    personally, i think it's hardware related. if it just happened by moving your parts from one case to another, something must have gone wrong then.

try googling your error. i've found some other people with similar errors, and a fix here: http://www.windowsxpregistrycleaner....0x490-fix.html

Did you swap SATA ports when you moved the drive over?

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Did you swap SATA ports when you moved the drive over?
    I honestly don't remember. Should I attempt to reboot and try a few of the other SATA ports on the MB?

I haven't spent time looking in to the error, just from scanning your post it seems like that is a small chance it could be a bad port. Google is the best way to fix these things when you have a specific error!

Yeah, sadly I've tried several Google fixes and haven't had much luck with any of them

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 05:23 AM ----------

Tried all my SATA ports, no deal. Keyboard and mouse are lit up until the "starting windows" screen, then they go off and I just get stuck at that screen until I manually reset.