Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by majinbebi View Post
    Computer/entertainment > Perhaps helping someone?
    how is helping yourself to survive considered NOT helping someone?

they are helping themselves so no one else has to...

if more people were as independent as they were when able to be, then more people would not have to worry about needing help, ya?

Buy a bicycle generator, diesel generator or solar panels, and go on living normally?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    I would go to my local library and get a book on Blacksmithing...(really? blacksmithing was not in my dictionary? wtf is that shit)

people are gonna need something to do, it mineaswell be some sort of defensive tool. unless gun companies can still make weapons without electricity in their modernized factories

EDIT: and yes i know guns can still be made the old fashioned way, but how many people will know how? Besides, some armor never hurt, however outdated it may be.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

10+ Year Old Account
    I would for one be glad my father taught me how to hunt and skin animals and fish. I think I would be pretty set compared to some of the people who can't go a day without a cup of coffee in the morning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Buy a bicycle generator, diesel generator or solar panels, and go on living normally?
    Solar flairs act like Electro Magnetic Pulses, they literally fry the circuitry of machinery, rendering them completely useless.

So even if you had power, your appliances would be dead.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I'd rediscover fire... the fun way!

I'm going to assume in this hypothetical situation that all the stores have closed due to the loss of power. I'm also going to assume the situation is an 'every man for themself' scenario.

First things first - I'm going to arm myself and fortify my residence. Using what hand tools are available to me at the time I would do my best to blockade my windows and seal off all entrances, leaving only one way in, and one way out. Theres lots of real hardwood materials from the tv stand, book cases, cabinets, etc.. for this.

While doing this I would use my hand cranked emergency weather radio and hope to pick-up a local AM station that might be running on a generator for a short time. I could use this to get news about the situation, and plan accordingly. I would also attempt to fill as many containers as I could with fresh drinking water from my tap before the back-up generators run out of fuel.

Before setting out I would raid my cabinets and hide any and all supplies I have in case scavengers come through.

I live next door to a 'big box' store, and while I wouldnt be proud of it, I would do what every other sane person would do and head over there to obtain anything I could to help me survive. One very necessary thing would be antibiotics. Given the loss of power, sanitary conditions would quickly decline. The quicker I can get in and out of there the better. This particular 'big box store' also has a gas station. Lighters, candles, as well as any type of non-perishable food would be my main goal.

The next part deals mainly with survival, and what I would expect.

Over the course of a week or so things quickly decline. The normal human characteristics quickly disappear as we all fight to survive. Animals roaming freely, dead bodies litter the street, and the smell of death quickly begins to fill the air. Sanitation is almost non-existant at this point. Knowing what types of parasites and diseases are now lurking in the air we breathe, I would have to leave my current location.

<-- end scenario -->

My thoughts: You would quickly see society turn inward on itself. Some would murder others for their supplies, others would go insane after a shortwhile, and even more would die in the ensuing chaos. The worlds population would quickly begin to dwindle as supplies became more scarce. Bacteria, viruses and diseases would begin to take over as the dead begin to pile up. Money would be completely useless. Water, food, and fuel would be the new form of currency.

Its a situation that would be very bleak, and surviving would depend upon chance. I dont think it would be the end of the human race unless some super virus mutated and was able to run rampant. The amish would be well off, albeit their life would change a bit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Solar flairs act like Electro Magnetic Pulses, they literally fry the circuitry of machinery, rendering them completely useless.

So even if you had power, your appliances would be dead.
    Perhaps. But I'd still have light. And since no one else would have light, I'd be in a fantastic position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    I often get a feeling inside of me, like a primal urge to do very primal things... Stuff like hunting for food, or build my own shelter, etc. I think modern life boxes a lot of peoples' primal feelings inside them. Urges to survive, which are natural and have been used for most of our existence.

It could be liberating to actually let loose upon the world with those survival instincts and live as our ancestors did. Of course, people whose primal urges had been bred out of them would be screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd loot some electronics, like a boss.
    dictated but not read.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I own a small cabin in the woods that doesn't have power. Everything is "El natural"

Wife and I go camp in it for a week at a time once in awhile.

Really wouldn't faze me cept id have to trade in my Camaro for a Mustang (horse) :P.....

Take that back I do have a 12 volt battery that is charged off solar panels to charge my Kindle but thats pretty much the only power we got (hate trudging around 10-20 books lol)

Time to get my viking helmet and get ready for some pillaging.

Well this is ironic. My entire house lost power while reading this thread and I'm now posting this from my phone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    I hope all of these are joke responses. Die if the electricity went out? Lol. I think it'd be fun. What would I do? Carry on living, just with more free time.
    Society will collapse, good luck living like you used to.

lucky me i have alot wood stored for a cold winter, so i might just use that to substaine power or heat... tho i will have no electricity, i would probaly also dig out a fridge under the earth, just to secure meat 'n stuff...

also, get myself a gun for emergency looters...
    Lagg dosen't exist. Only bad Internetz...
    Paladins isent OP Blizz just made all ohter classes weaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by majinbebi View Post
    Computer/entertainment > Perhaps helping someone?
    Well, of course I'd help out, but a year is a long time. I think most people would've found out a way to cope after six months. Also, it would be difficult to share my electricity with others, since I live on the countryside and the houses are hundreds of meters apart. That's one looooong and inefficient extension cord.
    Last edited by Cusco; 2012-02-27 at 02:45 PM.
    Amateur Photographer studying Mathematics!
    Linkedin - Portfolio

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a bag of books go to the nearest park and read as civilisation comes crashing down around my ears.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Fight some dragons because i'm pretty sure they'll come back if our power's down.
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

The world would resort to solar and wind power to generate electricity.

Did I win?
    Last edited by Paigeyotto; 2012-02-27 at 01:32 PM.

i would play larp

and go life with the amish like nothing has changed....