[Books] Just finished Storm of Swords.

So, I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire series a couple weeks back and I haven't been able to put the books down since (well, my kindle really). I just finished the third book, and I have to say this is probably one of the best series of books I have ever read. I'm getting sad to think I'm coming to an end for this epic ride, which 2 more to go.

So, my question to you, what are some other books/series you have read that would compare to A Song of Ice and Fire? I read a lot of different genres of books, everything from Harry Potter to The Lincoln Lawyer to Gauntlgrym (Drizzt). I'm looking for some more variety in authors though, seeing how I normally stay true to a few. Please feel free to make any wide suggestions, seeing how I can get the first couple chapters on Kindle as a free deal anyways, just to test the books out.

Thanks!
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). A huge fan of both that and A Song of Ice and Fire. I'd recommend at least looking into it.

I'm also planning on giving the Stormlight Archive a try, as I loved Brandon Sanderson's work on the last couple novels of The Wheel of Time. I couldn't give you a real opinion on it as of yet, though, as I've only read half a dozen chapters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). A huge fan of both that and A Song of Ice and Fire. I'd recommend at least looking into it.

I'm also planning on giving the Stormlight Archive a try, as I loved Brandon Sanderson's work on the last couple novels of The Wheel of Time. I couldn't give you a real opinion on it as of yet, though, as I've only read half a dozen chapters.
    Does Wheel of Time have the intrigue and character development akin to ASOIAF?

No clear-cut good vs. evil setup?

10+ Year Old Account
    ASOS is one of my favorite books ever. I agree.

You may have already read these but...

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods." Interesting read. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but I want to read it again. And the world he created in it is ripe for plundering more stories.

Some people will scoff at it, but Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicle books (Interview with a Vampire, etc) were very good all the way up to Memnoch the Devil. Queen of the Damned in that series is comparable to what ASOS is to ASOIF.

And your ASOIF journey isn't necessarily completely over. There's always the Dunk and Egg novellas. They fill in a lot of cracks and back story of Westeros.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    Does Wheel of Time have the intrigue and character development akin to ASOIAF?

No clear-cut good vs. evil setup?
    There is a lot of character development, though I'm not sure I'd be at liberty to compare it to ASOIAF with much accuracy (I haven't read the books in a long while). But there is a good vs. evil setup, as the novels focus a bit more on the fantasy aspect of the genre, though that's not to say that you know which side each character is necessarily on and that there isn't deception, corruption and betrayal.

Obviously, you'd be much better off reading a more professional review than asking me. All I can say is to try it for yourself.

When it comes to reading, I stick mostly with the fantasy genre. A Song of Ice and Fire is by far my favorite series, but another one I'll always enjoy reading is The Lost Years of Merlin. I read it when I was a bit younger, so it has that extra nostalgia value. However, everyone I've recommended the series to has thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post

I just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods." Interesting read. Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about it but I want to read it again. And the world he created in it is ripe for plundering more stories.

Some people will scoff at it, but Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicle books (Interview with a Vampire, etc) were very good all the way up to Memnoch the Devil. Queen of the Damned in that series is comparable to what ASOS is to ASOIF.

And your ASOIF journey isn't necessarily completely over. There's always the Dunk and Egg novellas. They fill in a lot of cracks and back story of Westeros.
    I loved the Ann Rice novels, they were an amazing series. Also, despite the extreme homo-erotic nature of it all, they are my favorite take on what 'Vampires' are.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Acacia has the blurred lines with no clear cut good guy/bad guy.

Here is a list that shows similar books to a list of 25 "best" fantasy reads.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/top25-fantasy-books.php

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

The Inheritance cycle (4 books) by Christopher Paolini is very good if you like fantasy novels.

i read the first book of stormlight archive... i loved it. dammit. now im committed to yet another damned series that wont be finished for 20 years. im still pissed jordan died before wheel of time finished, although it did introduce me to sanderson, glad about that part i guess

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriot View Post
    So, I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire series a couple weeks back and I haven't been able to put the books down since (well, my kindle really). I just finished the third book, and I have to say this is probably one of the best series of books I have ever read. I'm getting sad to think I'm coming to an end for this epic ride, which 2 more to go.
    To piggy back from the OP, this really is the best series I have ever laid my fingers on. How sad were you when the red wedding happened? Currently on book 5, with 30% left to read. A lot happens between the books.

But to further your question, If you get a chance, you should pick up the two dragon age books, Dragon age: The Stolen Throne, and Dragon age: The Calling. Both were very good reads for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Disenchanted View Post

Also read American Gods a month or two ago, gotta say I was very intrigued. Knew about him from some episodes he'd written for TV shows (recently on Doctor Who), but American Gods was the first book I've read, and was pleasantly surprised.

Also finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King recently. I liked the idea of the book even if I found the writing a tad annoying.

And of course before that, The Hunger Games. Haven't had much time for reading lately so haven't really looked for anything either. Keep those suggestions flowing, thanks! =)

Edit: And as I'm writing this somewhere1510 hits a jackpot! I've had Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne just sitting on my Kindle for a month. Thanks!
    Last edited by Ratatosk; 2012-02-27 at 02:46 AM.

I'll plug it whenever but you cant beat "The Dark Tower" series

Quote Originally Posted by somewhere1510 View Post
    To piggy back from the OP, this really is the best series I have ever laid my fingers on. How sad were you when the red wedding happened? Currently on book 5, with 30% left to read. A lot happens between the books.

But to further your question, If you get a chance, you should pick up the two dragon age books, Dragon age: The Stolen Throne, and Dragon age: The Calling. Both were very good reads for me.
    A lot of what happened in A Storm of Swords shocked me, the Red Wedding and the Wedding that followed mostly, but the ending as well.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yibsu View Post
    The Inheritance cycle (4 books) by Christopher Paolini is very good if you like fantasy novels.
    Oh you mean Star Wars with dragons? I kid, I only ever saw the movie. I shall repent of my sins later.

I've heard nothing but praise for Jordan. Magister's Trilogy from C.S. Friedman is good, and only three books (hence, trilogy). All of her work is excellent.

Check out Discworld if you need something more lighthearted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Also this! Dark Tower for the win, forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    I heard the first books in the series were amazing but King dropped the ball/tried to end it abruptly and it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Is that true?

---------- Post added 2012-02-27 at 02:57 AM ----------

Oh, also for everyone, the God Speaker Trilogy by Karren Miller is a very good series too. They are pretty thick, 900 pages a pop, but its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hksin11186 View Post
    Oh you mean Star Wars with dragons? I kid, I only ever saw the movie. I shall repent of my sins later.
    Don't talk to me about that movie -_-

The books are a thousand times better than that piece of crap.

10+ Year Old Account

I've been using Jordan to fill my ASoIaF void as well. The first 3-4 have slow start syndrome IMO and tend to pick up about 2/3 into the book, but once you get there it's a reading frenzy till you finish it, though I just started 5 and it seems to have picked up much more quickly.

Also, the Sword of Truth series is pretty good, it isn't as good as ASoIaF, it's more an action movie than a long, drawn out epic, but it was still a fun read.

At WoT's 13 (soon to be 14 IIRC) volumes, and SoT's 11 they will definitely keep you busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Look into Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. These are both seminal works and I can't recommend them enough.

Raymond Feist has a very good fantasy series as well, starting with Magician. The following 2 books were 'ok', but he picked up the quality again with the Daughter of the Empire series.
    Youtube Gaming Channel - TheRamblerz. The Best Variety Gaming Channel in this Signature!

i7 2600k (Overlocked to 4.4ghz) ; Asus P8Z68 V-Pro ; 16GB Corsair Vengeance
    2x GTX 570 EVGA Classified - SLI ; 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD; 2x 500GB Seagate HDD in Raid 0