Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying Guild Wars 1 (Not yet another GW1 thread ... I think)

Hi,

I know there are lots of threads about Guild Wars 1, but most of them ask if one could play GW2 without playing the first. Didn't find any that adresses my specific problem. I'm sorry if such a thread actually exists and I just missed it.

So I want to pick up Guild Wars 1 this week. I want a digital delivery as I don't care about the box or the manual, I just want the Game Key. So my question is three-fold :

1) Is there any place that offers the Complete Collection (4 games) online ? Gamestop has it but it's not available online, and the only other website that had it in stock (Gamesbite) keeps cancelling my order for obscure reasons (they kept saying it had nothing to do with the card or the funds, but refused to say why it was being cancelled). The Complete Collection is great because it's cheap and has all the games with a bonus Golem Hero, so this would be what I'd like to buy ideally.

2) If I settle for the Trilogy + EotN, where would be the best place to buy it ? I usually by from a website called Gamersloot, I like them because they are quick and never cause any trouble, but I'm thinking about trying Steam (never bought anything through Steam). So are there any benefits to Steam, knowing that they have the exact same price as my current e-shop ?

3) Is it really necessary to buy EotN now ? I mean, I think it will be sometime before I finish Proph, Fact and Night and I heard that your progress was tracked in the HoM even if you bought EotN after completing all the campaigns. So should I just wait before buying EotN ?

Thanks

PS : Also, if anyone is willing to pick up the Complete Collection from a Gamestop (there are none near where I live) I can pay him through Paypal for the digital key, you can keep the manual and other stuff. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by DrunkenBeard; 2012-02-27 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    Steam has the trilogy and EotN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Steam has all 4, but its separated into the trilogy and then EotN. Honestly though, I've played through the trilogy and never felt the need to pick up EotN because of time issues and not caring about the last expac. But it does track your progress even if you dont have EotN so I'd just wait to get that if you get done before GW2 comes out.

Deleted
    Offgamers.com - http://www.offgamers.com/guild-wars/...-1401-1430.ogm <-- link to GW1

Really cheap and you got the game within 15minutes (just the digital keys, no boxes or so is included)
    And, I'd recommend to buy EotN directly and do it when you hit 20 to make the other campaigns easier

Deleted
    I would say that you should go with Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by roflatorlunde View Post
    Offgamers.com - http://www.offgamers.com/guild-wars/...-1401-1430.ogm <-- link to GW1

Really cheap and you got the game within 15minutes (just the digital keys, no boxes or so is included)
    And, I'd recommend to buy EotN directly and do it when you hit 20 to make the other campaigns easier
    Thanks, that seems to be the cheapest deal of them all

@Eiserne Drossel,

Any reason why I would want to go with Steam ?

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    Hi,

I know there are lots of threads about Guild Wars 1, but most of them ask if one could play GW2 without playing the first. Didn't find any that adresses my specific problem. I'm sorry if such a thread actually exists and I just missed it.

So I want to pick up Guild Wars 1 this week. I want a digital delivery as I don't care about the box or the manual, I just want the Game Key. So my question is three-fold :

1) Is there any place that offers the Complete Collection (4 games) online ? Gamestop has it but it's not available online, and the only other website that had it in stock (Gamesbite) keeps cancelling my order for obscure reasons (they kept saying it had nothing to do with the card or the funds, but refused to say why it was being cancelled). The Complete Collection is great because it's cheap and has all the games with a bonus Golem Hero, so this would be what I'd like to buy ideally.

2) If I settle for the Trilogy + EotN, where would be the best place to buy it ? I usually by from a website called Gamersloot, I like them because they are quick and never cause any trouble, but I'm thinking about trying Steam (never bought anything through Steam). So are there any benefits to Steam, knowing that they have the exact same price as my current e-shop ?

3) Is it really necessary to buy EotN now ? I mean, I think it will be sometime before I finish Proph, Fact and Night and I heard that your progress was tracked in the HoM even if you bought EotN after completing all the campaigns. So should I just wait before buying EotN ?

Thanks

PS : Also, if anyone is willing to pick up the Complete Collection from a Gamestop (there are none near where I live) I can pay him through Paypal for the digital key, you can keep the manual and other stuff. PM me if interested.

1. No, they all offer the trilogy separate from eye of the north, buying the trilogy + EoTN also gives you access to M.O.X, the golem hero you speak off.
    2. Steam would be the easiest way to obtain it, except for the NCSoft store itself, the prices most likely difer tho.
    3. No, it isn't necessary to buy EOTN before you complete the other campaigns, however there are things to take into consideration:
    3a: While the details for your HoM is tracked even without EoTN, you can't keep proper track of your HoMs progress.
    3b: without EoTN you don't:
    get access to an additional 10-12 heroes
    get access to the unique(green) minipet black Moa Chick
    get access to guild wars beyond (which is the bridge between GW1 and GW2 in story)

On top of this you also miss out on all the great content that EoTN introduced, dungeons and so forth.

Wether you wait or not is obviously entirely up to you tho.

I don't know about what to do, but iff you'd like a leveling partner, I'll play with you

Thanks guys I'm gonna go for Offgamers I think. Already made the order, I'm just waiting for delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    I don't know about what to do, but iff you'd like a leveling partner, I'll play with you
    Deal then I'll PM you whenever I start playing.

Thanks guys I'm gonna go for Offgamers I think. Already made the order, I'm just waiting for delivery.

If you're buying the last expansion, tell me so that I can to then, I might get it just because of the other classes.

EDIT: Does offgamers send you physical copies? If so that's a few days I guess I can wait :P
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-27 at 03:00 PM.

Deleted

Good choice, has been my 1st supplier for games that I don't care about the box for! So cheap, good service and I get the games quick. Remember you'll have to go to completed orders and then click the button under the name of the game and wait 1 second to see what the codes are.

Just wanted to say that the orders were shipped and give some props to OffGamers Really cheap and, after the verification process (took a day in my case) the second purchase was a matter of 10-15 minutes.

Also, what district are you playing at Allanon ?

Just wanted to say that the orders were shipped and give some props to OffGamers Really cheap and, after the verification process (took a day in my case) the second purchase was a matter of 10-15 minutes.

Also, what district are you playing at Allanon ?
    Is that like channels/servers? Which ever I log into I guess, NA.

Is that like channels/servers? Which ever I log into I guess, NA.
    there are not servers. there are no channels. you can chose any server you wish to play at any time in the top left of the screen, always make sure it's American-1 because that's where all the english-speaking people are. Never go to EU-Eng-1, that's where all the germans are, even though they have their own EU-German-x servers.

Quote Originally Posted by agracul View Post
    there are not servers. there are no channels. you can chose any server you wish to play at any time in the top left of the screen, always make sure it's American-1 because that's where all the english-speaking people are. Never go to EU-Eng-1, that's where all the germans are, even though they have their own EU-German-x servers.
    Even if they are named differently from servers/channels, the idea behind them is the same.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Gah ... I'm completely confused as to where to start. I guess I still need some suggestions here, here's my dilemma :

1) I want to play an Assassin
    2) I want to play for the lore primarily. Tutorial zones are not that important if there is a way to learn about their lore later, especially if it's in game.
    3) I want to play the easiest way. I am not really playing for the challenge, I don't want to minmax, I don't plan to PvP, I don't plan to get rich, I'm just playing for the storyline.
    4) HoM is important to me.

So what I'm trying to do here is sketch out a plan before starting to play. Basically I want to know which campaign I start with and how much I play each campaign before switching etc. Here's what I came up with so far :

Create an Assassin
    Start with Nightfall and do all the quests until the one that unlocks Eye of the North (Level 10ish)
    Play all the story lines specific to Eye of the North
    Go back to Nightfall and complete it entirely
    Go to Factions and complete it entirely
    Go to Prophecies and complete it entirely
    Complete Guild Wars Beyond

The idea behind this is that I quickly unlock HoM and get my Heroes in EotN. The mission are also quite short so it's a pretty great place to start with. I then go back to Nightfall because I have to finish it and ... more Heroes ! The reasoning behind factions is that it is quire short too and it unlocks some stuff in Guild Wars Beyond. Then Prophecies as it is rather longish. Finally Go back to do Guild Wars Beyond and connect everything to Guild Wars 2.

Aside from the tutorial zones of Factions and Prophecies, would I miss anything by doing things in this order ? Also, does this order mess up continuity ? (No spoilers ! O_O)

Thanks

Gah ... I'm completely confused as to where to start. I guess I still need some suggestions here, here's my dilemma :

2) I want to play for the lore primarily. Tutorial zones are not that important if there is a way to learn about their lore later, especially if it's in game.
    3) I want to play the easiest way. I am not really playing for the challenge, I don't want to minmax, I don't plan to PvP, I don't plan to get rich, I'm just playing for the storyline.

So what I'm trying to do here is sketch out a plan before starting to play. Basically I want to know which campaign I start with and how much I play each campaign before switching etc. Here's what I came up with so far :

Create an Assassin
    Start with Nightfall and do all the quests until the one that unlocks Eye of the North (Level 10ish)

The idea behind this is that I quickly unlock HoM and get my Heroes in EotN. The mission are also quite short so it's a pretty great place to start with. I then go back to Nightfall because I have to finish it and ... more Heroes ! The reasoning behind factions is that it is quire short too and it unlocks some stuff in Guild Wars Beyond. Then Prophecies as it is rather longish. Finally Go back to do Guild Wars Beyond and connect everything to Guild Wars 2.

Aside from the tutorial zones of Factions and Prophecies, would I miss anything by doing things in this order ? Also, does this order mess up continuity ? (No spoilers ! O_O)

Thanks
    You can't make an assassin until you have a level 10 character sadly or play Factions 1st :<

I didn't ssee any tutorials at all in Prophecies, might have skipped them unintentionally I think.

But again, I'm willing to play with you, send me a PM and I'll send my skype info or we can try to use vent if you'd like.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-28 at 11:01 AM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

You can't make an assassin until you have a level 10 character sadly or play Factions 1st :<

I didn't ssee any tutorials at all in Prophecies, might have skipped them unintentionally I think.

But again, I'm willing to play with you, send me a PM and I'll send my skype info or we can try to use vent if you'd like.
    Yeah Allanon That's why in my plan I start playing Nightfall first. I'll PM you as soon as I sort this out so we can start playing together Really trying to do things right from the beginning, I would hate starting and then realizing that I could have taken a better path or that I am going to miss on something. Also, this question is open to anyone who wants to help.

Deleted

Create an Assassin

Thanks
    Some things I want to point out:

- You can't make an assassin and start in nightfall, you need to start in factions instead. In order for you to get access to nightfall with your assa you need to get to kaineng city, which requires you to finish the first 2 missions of factions.

- EoTN can be very challenging for new players, so be warned.

- I suggest you try to get 2 of the 3 necromancer heroes asap. You can do this by doing 2 of the following: the whole Asura questline in EoTN (challenging for new players), short quest in Lions arch (very easy) or 1/3 of the nightfall campaign (easy but time consuming).

- I highly suggest you pick up the ritualist from the norn fighting tournament. You can do this at the beginning of EoTN. All you need to do is defeat her in the tournament and she joins your group. Your opponent in the tournament is always picked at random, so you won't always get a chance to fight her. Luckily she can only appear in round 2 so all you have to do is defeat the 1st opponent and see who the 2nd one is. If it's her, defeat her, if not just use your map to teleport out and rejoin the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by nektar View Post
    Some things I want to point out:

- You can't make an assassin and start in nightfall, you need to start in factions instead. In order for you to get access to nightfall with your assa you need to get to kaineng city, which requires you to finish the first 2 missions of factions.

- EoTN can be very challenging for new players, so be warned.

- I suggest you try to get 2 of the 3 necromancer heroes asap. You can do this by doing 2 of the following: the whole Asura questline in EoTN (challenging for new players), short quest in Lions arch (very easy) or 1/3 of the nightfall campaign (easy but time consuming).

- I highly suggest you pick up the ritualist from the norn fighting tournament. You can do this at the beginning of EoTN. All you need to do is defeat her in the tournament and she joins your group. Your opponent in the tournament is always picked at random, so you won't always get a chance to fight her. Luckily she can only appear in round 2 so all you have to do is defeat the 1st opponent and see who the 2nd one is. If it's her, defeat her, if not just use your map to teleport out and rejoin the tournament.
    Ah I see. Thanks a lot ! I thought that classes available in one campaign were also available in subsequent campaigns as starter toons. So I'll have to reorganize this so as to be able to start with Factions. Gonna see what I can do. Any comments on the lore aspect ? Can I start in any order and still experience the entire lore with no spoilers/mess ?

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 11:36 AM ----------

What do you guys think about this :

Factions -> Unlock EotN
    Complete EotN
    Complete Nightfall
    Go back to Factions and complete it
    Complete Prophecies
    Start Guild Wars Beyond

There are two little details that I need to clear up with this plan :

1) When I unlock EotN from Factions, would it automatically mean that I would have also unlocked Nightfall ? Or do I need to quest more ? I want to start Nightfall right after EotN.

2) There is that "Go back to Factions" that is still a little confusing to me. Should I just write down the last quest I did in Factions before starting EotN and go back to pick up the follow up when I come back to Factions, or is it more involved ?
    Last edited by DrunkenBeard; 2012-02-28 at 11:38 AM.