Thread: Rolling warrior

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Rolling warrior

Sadly after reading some guides on warriors and watching some videos I am no further in knowing anything about warriors.
    So I would like some help in deciding if I should do it or not. I have exclusively played casters since I started in WOTLK. So I dont know if a warrior would be a good choice for a first melee class. Also what would the best spec be for leveling be.

Some pro's and cons would also be nice

(sorry for any spelling mistakes)

Thanks in advance

Don't do it. Roll a rogue/feral/dk. Warriors are shit.

grats for picking a war now my hunter can pwn you
    THREAD CLOSED

* Post more constructively, please. Also, acting like a moderator isn't appreciated. ~Mest
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2012-02-26 at 09:04 PM.

nice of people to be useful /sarcasm

the best levling spec depends on what you want. both arms and fury are quite good, but if you wanna focus on dungeoning prot is better (this get horrendously boring though).

Deleted
    Depends on what you want to do.
    From someone that plays warrior as main for almost 3 years now,here's some info :
    Warriors are at their peak in PvE at the moment,with the right itemization and rotation warriors can easily be top dps in raids.
    As for PvP,which is my main focus sadly.No.Warriors require alot of skill to play in PvP,are not competitive,and just lack pretty much what every other melee has,combined.I don't want to go deep into this,but lets just say that warriors are inferior in both damage,sustainability of it,mobility,survival and utility,as opposed to the other 4 melee classes (feral,rogue,dk,paladin)

If after this you decide to roll one,warrior is in my opinion one of the most fun classes to play,as it really gives an immersion and realisticability to your gameplay.
    As for the spec,Arms is the way to go,unless you want to be a tank(meh),which the choice is pretty obvious.

I leveled my warrior as prot from 1 to 80 so far, leaving him at 80 to do herald of the titans.

It's pretty fun tanking in dungeons and you have 0 downtime with victory rush if you're questing/farming.

Far as pvp goes, warriors might be a bit weaker alone compared to other classes, but if you have a buddy that can heal for you, warriors can become annoying for a lot of classes.

Deleted
    My main focus is PVE as i do very little to no pvp. Also are racial buffs in any way majorly important as a warrior? (horde)

Deleted
    Indeed they are,as a horde warrior doing pve,i'd suggest an Orc,or possibly a troll
    Last edited by mmocf018de09fb; 2012-02-26 at 05:41 PM.

Orc.

Troll is shit.

Facials depend on what spec you wanna roll. If you mainly want to dps the definitely roll orc. The axe expertise bonus and the blood fury buffs are great. If you wanna tank then I would suggest tauren. The Stamina bonus is always good and warstomp is great for additional add control.

15+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest Orc for tanks too.
    The stamina is not good at all these days because it only affects base hp.
    Warstomp has a cast time and makes you unable to parry/dodge/block
    Stuns can really get tanks gibbed so the duration reduction is very useful in those cases.
    Last edited by Siri; 2012-02-26 at 10:35 PM.

Deleted
    warriors are a great class. they have always been top dps (especially in end-game content) and i guess, they will always be. they have a nice resource-system and i like their style.
    i guess this is, what should make your decision: what style do you favor? many think, warriors dont have some kind of great "lore" like paladins or dks. so they can't identify themselves with the classe. others however don't like melee classes who use casts (like deathcoil) so they play warrior or rogue.
    i always preferred rogue and warrior (rogue has been my main for 5 years now, except wotlk) over the others. i play the rogue as main as i always liked the resource-system a bit more (combopoints etc.). furthermore, i think that rogues have the better survivability and -since cata- the better cleave, whereas warriors have a better mobility.
    but in the end, playing a warrior is never a bad decision

Rolling warrior
    Sorry Monks roll. warriors charge

haha no sorry. those ppl who ccome and say "warriors is shit" is either 1: a blood dk. 2: jealous. or 3: plain stupid.
    a well played warrior can be the crap outta anything anytime anywhere. yes we are a bit weaker THIS tier. that dosnt mean we arent useless.

id say lvl a lil bit 60+ ( dosnt take long) and just see if you enjoy it.

warrior is a challenge for sure. can say that i know alot of ppl who only had like a hunter mage or some kind of healer who tried to roll a warrior and they just give up to the fact that it requires alot of focus and there is "alot" to press

i love it tho. nothing beats playing a warrior in my opinnion

and for race? id say Blood elf. why? beacuse its some free rage every 2 min in MoP. and thats gonna be loved!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Deleted
    Alliance - I'd go nelf just in case you decide you want to tank 5% change to dodge is always nice
    Horde - Orc is the best

I play may warrior very rarely these days but when i do it's a blast, charge and heroic leap are probably my most favourite abilities in the. Warrior just feels a bit more dynamic than the other melee classes I have at max level so i'm sure it'll keep you interested.

I play arms as main spec prot as off spec, its always fun to stomp fury warriors on the damage meters as arms before and after the buff it got. Levelling advice i'd say don't tank dungeons until you get the warbringer (still don't get why you have to stance dance to charge as a tank at low levels, just makes it more annoying) once you can charge in defensive stance though i found warrior tanking quite fun. Rend+thunderclap is a really sweet mechanic at low levels for aoe threat except when rend misses of course >.<

If you don't want to tank i'd go arms just because i find it more interesting than fury and you'll miss a lot less at the lower levels due to just using a 2h.

Leveling a warr as we speak, got rogue, pala (Ret(ms)/holy(os) and shammy(ele(ms)/resto(Os)). And I have to say, after playing rogue since game release (Vanilla) and pala since TBC release I find warrior great fun! Tanking as a warr is awesome, I like it 10 times better than pala, dpsing is a dream! A dream in the way that it's a challenge, with stance dancing and everything - but I love it!

I'd say - make one, level it to 70-80 (60+ is to low) try out fury, arms and prot. And if you dont like it the moment you hit 80 you can leave it :P Going to 70-80 is a dream now anyways.. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

With Cata I decided to finally roll a Warrior, now sitting at 76. From a start I leveled with heirlooms so I had more HP and more DPS. I loved Titan's Grip talent so I specced Fury, Prot being an OS that I started using in Outland.

I went Fury and I love it. I played other plate dps before but Warrior - I was amazed with his mobility. Charge + Victory Rush and you move over the battlefield like a tornado. It's the first class (well, except Warlock and Blood DK) that can enter a 5 mob fight half dead and end it with those 5 mobs dead and you with full hp. I often regretted that mobs end so quick. With some skill and exp you can fight infinitely.

The only flaw I noticed (with my Warrior) is awfully low hit rating. I missed a lot, got blocked/parried/dodged. Frustrating. To the point that I was close to deleting him several times. But I endured. Past 70 it gets better. But till then - pure RNG. You can 2 shot 4 lvl higher mob and next fight a whole minute with green lvl mob as he constantly dodge and parry you. But when you manage to hit - you do it like a freight train.

As for tips )Fury in this case):
    - open with Charge
    - Bloodthist (use whenever possible, it heals you for small amounts for the next two attacks)
    - Rend/Heroic Strike (for single target) or Cleave (for multiple)
    - Slam when it proc or everything else on CD
    - Battle Shout keep on CD at all times (I often use it pre-charge)
    - when you kill an opponent that yield xp/honor you get Victory Rush buff (20s. quite nice damage + 20% of max hp heal)
    - Execute when target is >20% hp (config macro/addon for that, I use TellMeWhen, it pops an icon so I know when to strike, aha, no CD on that so spammable)

With that I haven't had any issues even with multiple opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by RadmaKanow View Post
    With Cata I decided to finally roll a Warrior, now sitting at 76. From a start I leveled with heirlooms so I had more HP and more DPS. I loved Titan's Grip talent so I specced Fury, Prot being an OS that I started using in Outland.

I went Fury and I love it. I played other plate dps before but Warrior - I was amazed with his mobility. Charge + Victory Rush and you move over the battlefield like a tornado. It's the first class (well, except Warlock and Blood DK) that can enter a 5 mob fight half dead and end it with those 5 mobs dead and you with full hp. I often regretted that mobs end so quick. With some skill and exp you can fight infinitely.

The only flaw I noticed (with my Warrior) is awfully low hit rating. I missed a lot, got blocked/parried/dodged. Frustrating. To the point that I was close to deleting him several times. But I endured. Past 70 it gets better. But till then - pure RNG. You can 2 shot 4 lvl higher mob and next fight a whole minute with green lvl mob as he constantly dodge and parry you. But when you manage to hit - you do it like a freight train.

As for tips )Fury in this case):
    - open with Charge
    - Bloodthist (use whenever possible, it heals you for small amounts for the next two attacks)
    - Rend/Heroic Strike (for single target) or Cleave (for multiple)
    - Slam when it proc or everything else on CD
    - Battle Shout keep on CD at all times (I often use it pre-charge)
    - when you kill an opponent that yield xp/honor you get Victory Rush buff (20s. quite nice damage + 20% of max hp heal)
    - Execute when target is >20% hp (config macro/addon for that, I use TellMeWhen, it pops an icon so I know when to strike, aha, no CD on that so spammable)

With that I haven't had any issues even with multiple opponents.
    If the hit chance bothers you you could go arms you know, you need alot less hit rating as arms : )
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

You are not "rolling" anything. There are no dice rolls involved in making a character.

OT: Warriors are pretty beast, but if it's your first melee, it's kind of tough to play perfectly. They have a LOT of buttons. I'm leveling a Warrior tank, up to 40 right now, and I think I have about 13 abilities I use regularly in dungeons (yes, I do use them).

Yeah, I know I could just use rend and TC, but there's so much more I can do.

It's tough, but rewarding. I broke 1k DPS as tank already, so I'm sure you can do the same if you really give it your best.

Honestly, though, I'd suggest a Paladin for melee DPS. But not Ret. Ret is a pain in the neck. Or you could pick a DK where all specs are easy.

Yeah, I know I can go Arms. But this is another Paladin for me. Plate + 2 hander. When I just love smashing and slashing mobs with two 2 handers. And this issue is diminishing right now. Hit food helps atm, soon I'll lay my hands on hit gear. The most problems I had till lvl 70. But, as I even asked here on MMO-C about that, it seems low hit is a designed feature for low lvl Fury Warriors.

Yes, there is a roll. If I have to chose one option from few available and equally pleasing it's a matter of random shot. Like a dice roll. And don't be so language purist. I bet you said "ding" multiple times even when actual sound of advancing a level is nowhere similar to "ding". Do you even know why it's "ding"?

I'd suggest a Paladin for melee DPS. But not Ret.
    Whaa? Paladin dps but not Ret? So what then - prot dps? It's even worse than Ret. For leveling you are immortal but each fight takes eternity to finish. I tested it. 83-85 levels as protardin (been fed up with how squishy ret was back then). I was immortal, unkillable but it took like 4x much time to kill anything compared to ret.

With a DK I could agree, hard and powerful. But Warrior is way greater fun than Paladin and still more fun than DK (imo).
    Last edited by RadmaKanow; 2012-02-27 at 10:02 AM.

@Radmakanow:
    I've played a ret since TBC and I don't think arms is "another ret". I find arms ALOT more fun than ret, but I'm stance dancing and everything to take it to the top level. I did try fury, but didn't realy have the gear for it and didn't enjoy it as I did with arms. Maybe I'll try it again fi I find a good second hander soonish : ) I'm at level 82 now, and can't say I'm tired of arms yet :P

And lol at the "paladin dps but not ret" like you can dps as holy or prot? luul.
    And ret is not a "pain in the neck", watch your HoPo and procs and it's just darn boring to play. Easy peasy to do good dps, but hard to be a exceptional ret (With all the Hands of XXX spells and all that, one example was in LFR this other day on my alt and a pala neglected to use Hand of Sacrifice on the tank when he was about to get impaled... Long story short: One tank sucked balls and never taunted and we wiped 2 times because of this.
    Then when I told the palas to use HoS on the tank to help him surivive the impale one raged at me and told me to learn to play ^^ I've done it, and that's on normal mode. So I guess LFR mode shouldn't be a real problem.

Wow got a bit off topic here ^^

GOGO WARR! It's great fun! In all specs that is
    Last edited by Noxina; 2012-02-27 at 10:12 AM.