Page 1 of 3
LastLast

i7 9xx overclocking Guide for beginners

Recently OC'd my i7 930 from stock 2.8ghz to stable 3.8ghz by following this guide.

i7 OCing guide for beginners

I started out at 3.36 and went up from there.
    Last edited by Protozoa7; 2012-02-28 at 02:41 AM.

Excellent, thank you for the link. I've been trying to overclock my 950 lately and having no luck, hopefully this guide will help me out.

Good luck, please post what stable speeds you are able to get and at what accompanying core voltages if possible.

Deleted
    I've read this guide briefly before, and I'm just curious, it mentions after all the CPU overclocking is done that it will next show you how to bring the speed of the RAM back up, but never appears to do so. Am I just missing it or is it simply not there?

So there we have it, some basic overclocking on the i7 platform. Next up, we will have a look at the memory and how we can make it run faster.

Sorry Rain it would appear that the OP of the OC thread never got around to an OCing guide for ram. Will do a little research and see if I can find anything.

Found this guide and while it is not as specific in terms of explaining step by step it has alot of general information that is worth looking over.

Ram OCing Basics DDR-3
    Last edited by Protozoa7; 2012-02-27 at 08:13 PM.

Deleted
    For a gaming pc i do not see the use of an OC system. The current CPU are by far Fast enof for gaming No use to go over 3.2 stock clock cpu
    There is no Use for 4 GHZ oc. If you Oc for a faster workstation then it is acceptable bud for game's No need.
    Only gain from oc for game's is faster loading screen. The ssd in your system is Good enof for the job.
    Second the fps gain you will see meby no improvement or meby 3 to 5 frame's of improvement. not worth the hassle
    You hurt your lifespan of your cpu that is already capable of running your game smooth at it stock speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wassabi View Post
    For a gaming pc i do not see the use of an OC system. The current CPU are by far Fast enof for gaming No use to go over 3.2 stock clock cpu
    I'm using a CPU that is three (soon to be four) generations old, I'm starting to really see FPS drops in games like SWTOR in high population areas. Overclocking my CPU should help alleviate the problem.

Only gain from oc for game's is faster loading screen. The ssd in your system is Good enof for the job.
    That's certainly not the only gain from OC... The CPU being able to perform more computations/handle more process requests are some of the obvious gains from OC.

You hurt your lifespan of your cpu that is already capable of running your game smooth at it stock speeds.
    A moderate OC with proper cooling is not likely to take more than a few years off the lifetime of your CPU. Your CPU will become outdated and useless long before an OC kills it.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-02-27 at 09:14 PM.

For a gaming pc i do not see the use of an OC system.
    You should try playing some games then. There are plenty of games out there where CPU overclocks yield substantial benefits, not to mention simply opening up headroom on exotic gpu's (590/6990).

Deleted
    Older versions Yes newer versions like I7 and I5 is a no no these cpu already out preform any performance you need for game's.
    these are overkill already your not using all of you PCU power to run these game's

Older versions Yes newer versions like I7 and I5 is a no no these cpu already out preform any performance you need for game's.
    these are overkill already your not using all of you PCU power to run these game's
    You're wrong and the evidence is in the increase in a game as old as Crysis when you overclock a 2500k from stock 3.3 up to 4.5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GG you got me View Post
    You're wrong and the evidence is in the increase in a game as old as Crysis when you overclock a 2500k from stock 3.3 up to 4.5.
    I find this hard To belive that you see a big performance change when this game caps at 3.2 ghz.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find this hard To belive that you see a big performance change when this game caps at 3.2 ghz.
    Well, Crysis' physics are quite heavy on the CPU even being a Dual Core coded game and does benefit from higher clock speed depending on the GPU that is paired with the CPU from what I have seen.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really think the title should be changed to "i7-9xx overclocking guide for beginners" that way we don't have new folks thinking this also refers to the i7-2600/27K.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no Use for 4 GHZ oc. If you Oc for a faster workstation then it is acceptable bud for game's No need.
    Second the fps gain you will see meby no improvement or meby 3 to 5 frame's of improvement. not worth the hassle
    this is just not true really. any CPU bound game will gain more then this. if i wasnt rushing out of the house i would find some benchmarks to prove you wrong but an easy google search and it will be easy to see.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I really think the title should be changed to "i7-9xx overclocking guide for beginners" that way we don't have new folks thinking this also refers to the i7-2600/27K.
    Just what I came here for

If a Mod can edit the thread title that would be awesome. Just add in the 9xx portion after i7 thanksssssssssss

Yeah, spent another hour+ trying to get my system to overclock, but still not having any luck. I tried at 3.6 and 3.8 (1.2 and 1.25 voltage) and neither would POST.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best OC guide ive seen for one reason, the mfr term reference guide! love it!

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    Yeah, spent another hour+ trying to get my system to overclock, but still not having any luck. I tried at 3.6 and 3.8 (1.2 and 1.25 voltage) and neither would POST.
    you might just have a picky chip:/ did you turn off your HT and boost?
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga

Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    That's strange.
    Try to not mess with the DRAM settings first and make sure RAM is set below it specs until you have it sorted.
    Try not to change the CPU multiplier, only BCLK, PCIE manually set to 100.
    Disable C3 and C6.
    Disable Turbo.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deng View Post
    That's strange.
    Try to not mess with the DRAM settings first and make sure RAM is set below it specs until you have it sorted.
    Try not to change the CPU multiplier, only BCLK, PCIE manually set to 100.
    Disable Turbo.
    i definetly dont want to tell anyone to put their voltage up because im not as experienced as i would like to be with OCing but cant he go higher then that? by quite a bit? 1.30-.32?
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Naga