Page 1 of 2
LastLast

whats the difference between a Goth & an Emo

So I walk down to the theatre to pick up my tickets for tonights Marilyn Manson/ Coal Chamber/ Wedensday 13 concert in Sydney.

And outside the theatre are heeps of Young EMO kids in their teens to maybe early 20s who start telling me to go away. Because of my age.

Of course they wern't to know that Im an old Goth in his late 30s who used to listen to bands like Manson, the Cure, Bauhaus etc

I Dont like the Emo attitude if they are like that.

Some of my mates are older Goths who grew up with the Dark Sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there still emo kids around anymore? I thought that whole phase died in 2008, at least I havent seen many emo dressed people.

As for goth people I did feel sorry for them during the 00's they had to put up with alot of trend setters supporting the look becuase alot of bands did at the time. Now that has also died you can tell who the real goths were becuase they are still dressed that way where as the scensters and wannabe goths are all gone and found something else or outgrown it.

I never understood that there was a differnece, of course emo kids always acted like they were troubled and life was hard but it was all really just teen angst, we all had that growning up. Most of us just didnt dress that way to express it though.

Goths though are pretty normal, they just like to dress the way they do but are pretty much normal people, despite the sterotypes on TV make you believe. I have two goth friends and they are the coolest people I know.

have a long history of beeing friends with people that i would acll one or the other of theese groups (some both!!)

and i would say

Goth:
    Way of life that embrace the way things was in the old days , but since dressing like a maiden/knight/fool etc etc isnt really that possible (imagine walking down the street with a greatsword on your back.. "hello officer...")

they are often mistaken for emos due to the similaity in clothing.

Like myself Goths also tend be more nerds in the way of wow, swotor, laiv, d&d, warhammer , warmachine etc etc since it appeals to the fantasy side of what we know of the older days.

Emos:
    more a state of mind where you don`t really care about norms and what everyone else think .. and you let them know it!
    i had a friend that told me this once, and he was a emo by all accounts (himself and us friends)
    "i am a emo, as such i don`t like capitalisim, i hate the man (law/goverment) and i am generaly against anything the big companies want me to do"

and then you ofc have the once who are both, who often make the image of the goth a bad one, witch is not warranted since it is no different than beeing .. say a wow nerd and dress with a "i love the alliance" t-shirt, but are infact emos.

my 2C

I think the word just keeps evolving, I'm of your age where I would associate The Cure with Goth, I liked to dress in the style but I was never dysfunctional, I was a normal kid. Emo's seem to be all about teen angst, I was a pretty happy goth haha. I think emo style was pretty much stolen from the visual kei bands in Japan, there are some pretty awesome gothic fashions there, I wish I could wear them but there's nothing worse than a chubby goth. I guess emo's are like pretty versions of nihilists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ever see the South Park episode, called "The Ungroundbles," with the goth kids and the vamp-kids? It's pretty much, that.

Goth kids are the prerequisite to emo kids. Emo = Goth + Banana Republic, essentially.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

http://yourscenesucks.com/

One of my favorite websites might help explain it

Quote Originally Posted by seraphius View Post
    Goth:
    Way of life that embrace the way things was in the old days , but since dressing like a maiden/knight/fool etc etc isnt really that possible (imagine walking down the street with a greatsword on your back.. "hello officer...")
    Whats the problem with that? In my state, ohio, (i dont know if its different elsewhere) A sword worn visibly is completely legal, as long as it is kept in a sheathe. you cant brandish it, but its similar to having a gun in a holster. you cant draw it and threaten people, but you can keep it on you for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolution View Post

lol the black metal knight at the end
    don't think I've ever seen that walking the streets sadly

God i really dont like most emo kids...

Never ever call me a emo when i walk around gothic style...i may be forced to hit you -.-

10+ Year Old Account

Emo's are the de-evolved form of Hipsters basically
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

Deleted
    emo is also more a attention thing than just about the style... a lot of emos also cut whine from attention... (know from xp.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Goths though are pretty normal, they just like to dress the way they do but are pretty much normal people, despite the sterotypes on TV make you believe. I have two goth friends and they are the coolest people I know.
    Yea... Untill there's no "non-believers" in the room, they pop in their fake vampire teeth, and have a cup of human blood.

Deleted
    Nothing, they'll both get picked on.

Well to sumerize

Hardly saw any emo School kids at the Gig

Wedensady 13 played a really good set

Coal Chamber was awesome . Everybody got into "I want to be Cremated"
    Reyna was really cool, tossing her long hair around

Manson...welll Manson.. started out by giving some joints to people for the "Dope Show" song

Wore Flouresent pink highlighter around his eyes

Really good gig.. Liked "the BEautiful People"

Hardley any emos in sight..alot of mature dressed in black Manson fans

My reckoning is the emos where school kids who where pissed that they couldnt get into a sold out concert

---------- Post added 2012-03-01 at 02:55 AM ----------

No..But South Park is awesome

Will look it uo

GO THE GOTH KIDS
    I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolution View Post

*shudder* Juggalos... Ugh...

10+ Year Old Account
    1 part Goth +2 parts Hipster + 1/2 part Scene => 1 Emo.

I will post on the reversability of this reaction as soon as I find my chainsaw...
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    1 part Goth +2 parts Hipster + 1/2 part Scene => 1 Emo.

I will post on the reversability of this reaction as soon as I find my chainsaw...
    Why bother? Emos themselves have been doing this research for you for years with razor blades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Why bother? Emos themselves have been doing this research for you for years with razor blades.
    Yes, but they have failed to find useful data. Then again being emos, failure should have been a foregone conclusion.

Also there is the fun angle. Case in point, my follow-up study; "The Emo Pain Response to Pummeling Blows all over the Body". Should be a blast!
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    So I walk down to the theatre to pick up my tickets for tonights Marilyn Manson/ Coal Chamber/ Wedensday 13 concert in Sydney.

And outside the theatre are heeps of Young EMO kids in their teens to maybe early 20s who start telling me to go away. Because of my age.

Of course they wern't to know that Im an old Goth in his late 30s who used to listen to bands like Manson, the Cure, Bauhaus etc

I Dont like the Emo attitude if they are like that.

Some of my mates are older Goths who grew up with the Dark Sound.
    Honestly though... google it! You can learn so much more that just taking peoples opinion's about it.