Defender Points.....

ok so i play a dps sage and tbh im a medal freak, they get me commendations, and i REALLY want gear quickly (hence why i dont heal so much). i get 8-10 medals usually (9 is average, everyone can get them, easier for non heals obv) but i like more =)

so, how do defender points work exactly?

Huttball - i know if you attack the ball carrier, or the guy who just scored you get points (not so fast on the carrier, but on the scorer you get a lot) rarely will i get 3k, sometimes 1k tho.... (to compensate, solo kills are really easy here without going out of your way) are there other ways?

CW - stay on nodes obviously, always get 10 medals here unless its short, and i always get 3k unless were losing so no questions here

Voidstar - im at a loss tbh, i stand on doors all the time when i defend, never get any points..... on offense, one match i planted EVERY single bomb + got the core.... 0 points..... are there defender points here?

also, ive noticed that under objectives, to get the 1k medal you need 1k+ in both offense/defensive objections, oddly enough they are always the same score, and 3k per for the 3k defpoints medal.... so ??? (sure i get medals easily so you might not wanna help me, but what about those poor healers =( have some pity for them pre 1.2)

On voidstar if you want to actually get a medal for defender points you need to interrupt a ton of bomb planting attempts, atleast from what I have seen. Simply standing by the door while you defend doesn't seem to matter, unlike in Alderan. Just killing the enemy near the doors also seems to award nothing. I think on the occasions where I saw the medal was when i was aoeing the door against a bunch of enemies spam attempting to cap.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

I know interceptions get you points in huttball, how many? I don't know.

Happened to me today, after a death in the middle of my huttball game, I spawned and started walking out towards the middle.
    A solo enemy player had the ball walking towards the goal. It was one of those games where no one was trying, everyone was fighting in the middle. He was full health just walking completely by himself.

Pretty much as soon as he saw me, he threw me the ball from the ground level to the mid level (most likely thinking I was on his team). I immediately got my 1k defender medal. I hadn't even hit him. No one else was hitting him either, therefore, I know interceptions definitely give you defender points (probably not 1k, as it was midway through the game).

15+ Year Old Account
    You also get defender points in huttball when you kill people in your team's endzone.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by GeneticVigilance View Post
    Voidstar - im at a loss tbh, i stand on doors all the time when i defend, never get any points..... on offense, one match i planted EVERY single bomb + got the core.... 0 points..... are there defender points here?
    Yes, you can get defender medals in Voidstar, but no one seems to know how they work.

Whenever I get the medal in Voidstar, it seems to pop up when I'm dropping mad aoes on enemies fighting *very* close to the door, but then that doesn't always seem to work, so it might have something to do with hitting people trying to cap rather than doing a lot of damage.

There are only 2 defender medals, 1k and 3k. Huttball and Alderaan are easy. Voidstar requires you to disarm the bomb or assist in some way (healing, fighting ontop of the bomb) to earn a medal, which is obviously harder then the others.
    Last edited by THoyt; 2012-02-28 at 11:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneticVigilance View Post
    i get 8-10 medals usually (9 is average, everyone can get them, easier for non heals obv) but i like more =)
    as dps I usually get 4-5...
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-02-28 at 05:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote

well i forgot about pure dps classes, in which case i feel for you =(, come 1.2 tho it wont be as bad for you guys, who knows you might actually be better off then the rest with the new medals...

and im gonna try the interupting people when they cap thing... my only reservations are when im the last 1 or 2 people defending a side, and im about to die, i dot the hell out of everyone (weaken mind - 21s boo ya) and i swear people try to cap, yet i never get the medal... hmm i wish someone knew, or they would explain it lmao

Let me make this abundantly clear: the amount of medals you get are objective based, but certain combinations of objectives distinctly favour classes with a wide set of utility. Sage is a perfect example of this. Another is a kinetic Shadow or a balance Shadow. Why? Because you are just downright better at performing more than just damage. I've found my average medal gain in mostly decked out first tier pvp items to be from 6-7 medals as Infiltration Shadow. At best I peak 10. Using the single-target taunt on Sorcerors and the AoE taunt while stealthed are tricks I use to get 10k+ protection done without having to constantly worry about my performance for medals.

I make those minor tricks a habit and focus on the objectives. Why? Because a player that farm medals despite his handicap in getting them is no good for the team and may actually put the team at a disadvantage. A healer that puts out 400k healing without removing his own gear pieces and replacing them to cheat the score board is ten times more worth than a dps Sage topping the medal board but with only 110k damage done. Currently the medal system is a little biased towards flexible specs. Especially tanks that push out good damage and know about the Guard function.

That said, the amount of people that overdo the focus on medals is just silly. Once you reach gold (6) then you shouldn't bother so much with farming number of medals as you should actually winning the game, imo. Once you get above 7 alot of them are a little luck based and very related to if you fight near an objective and not a "one-on-one" kill, for instance.

That said, Infiltration specced Shadows on republic side don't seem to know just how godly the 45 sec CD AoE taunt actually is in big fights. It could potentially reduce a lot of incoming damage from Sorcerors, but still you see infiltration specced players that ignore it completely or don't know about it. I'm not talking about the amount absorbed so much as when used in large fights around nodes or doors, ballcarriers too.

Tbh, the medal system needs a lot of tweaking still, but it is miles better than the honor gained in WoW which is roughly based on how many kills (not KB's, so much) you get and little else. That's just one of many factors in the medal system, however.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

I feel exactly the same way, but i abuse the system bc its the only way to get gear and actually be able to compete with the imps on my server, alot of them are dumb, but there are TONS of BM's. So much so, that if im defending a node in CW, i get them to ~60% before they kill me..... (im a sage, its not skill difference, theres no skill required lol). this means, when you have 1 person hold a node which usually happens, its never me bc im not helping by surviving long enough for help to come, bc i dont live that long.

and huttball is usually the ONLY fight where i never get the 300k medal (unless its short/in progress) bc im usually at 200k healing helping to keep our BC and healers up. and i have a guardian, so i know how op the taunts are..... actually i get more medals on him, bc using taunts on cd gets me 50k defense in a full length match lol

so point being, until i get more champ gear (im at 3 right now, lightsaber + oh took me like 28 bags worth to afford) im not gonna be any help to the team to start, so by taking advantage of the system, i can get to helping faster, and when i get there, i wont be worried about gear bc i wont be so squishy and ill be able to solo defend a node.

truth be told, by the time i get to that point, theyll prolly have fixed the system to prevent it in the first place, so theres no point..... but how can they fix the system? if they do comms per kill, it becomes wow, and there will be a huge demand/requirement for burst dps which will make operatives/rage juggs or scoundrels/focus guardians consist of the majority of a team (less burst in sw, so most wzs wins count on healers, in wow as a disc priest (in bgs) there were sometimes where even in 2200 rating gear, i couldnt keep people up when they were being focused) so until theu fix it or i get gear, i will abuse, while trying to help the little i can. what else can i do?