View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloody251 View Post

Fight starts around 4:50 I think.
    Not a real Shaolin Monk. Difference between this guy, and a real Monk is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    I was seriously hoping for an awesome video in this thread...

Pretty much what has been stated in this thread. Dolph is getting his ass kicked until he gets a hold of Li (I know technically this is boxing vs. some form of Kung-Fu and Hollywood-ized, but it came to mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    Please read my first post guys.

"No arena, no weapons, no padding, no rules, think of it as a kinda "street" fight."
    Hadouken!

MMA would easily win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the fighter, but honestly, unlike punches, you can't block grabs, much harder to actually counter that.
    Howay the lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Do people really believe that the monks know a '5 finger exploding heart technique'? Thats TV stuff guys. Monks are holy artists. Not great deadly warriors. . . . .
    I am pretty sure a monk can strike you in the head, throat or leg with enough force to disable / kill...

Well a MMA fighter could do the same, but the monk has a higher chance of doing so.

You don't need a "secret technique" to kill or disable someone.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-02-28 at 05:31 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, Kung Fu experts are trained in throws and pins. MMA fighters lack true defense; they base their "defense" on countering or covering up. Kung Fu experts are trained to use potential energy in their favor. +1 for Shaolin Monk.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if this vid is serious, or just a demonstration.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMJ_b9uV1Lo

Demonstrating technique and speed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1HqaJ8uITE

Sorry for the shit quality.
    For anyone that has some extra cash, and really wants to see a Monk/s in action, I would suggest going to China, and seeing it for yourself. The stuff they do is incredible.
    Last edited by Scryers; 2012-02-28 at 05:42 PM.

I Think Brazilian JuJitsu has been proven to be the most effective fighting style to date. There is no way a Kung Fu master could handle a BJJ master. Its just not possible. Humans cannot block punches and grab wrists like Steven Segal in Hard To Kill. Nor can you land a Budhist Palm on someone with a knife trying to rob you.

If you go back to the early spectacle days of the UFC, you can notice that all of these mystical fighting styles were debunked with Mui Thai and BJJ.
    You need to read up on a judoka named Masahiko Kimura. (There's a reason that arm lock is named "Kimura".) He pretty much dismantled Helio Gracie, you know, the "father" of BJJ. BJJ is not the be all and end all of MA, not even close.

/signed 15 year judoka

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt monks are superbly awesome fighters like they are in the movies. Sure they may have some training but mma fighters are the new high tech version. They train to rip your face off whereas I'm betting monks just stand there and punch the air in single file and do the splits.

Quote Originally Posted by thedb View Post
    a bad eye gouge or hit to the balls or any of their nasty moves and its over.
    hey! in Clan of the White Lotus (1980) Pai Mei was able to retract his balls so it's ok

Quote Originally Posted by thedb View Post
    People here have seen too many kung fu movies.
    (Hey, me too, im a huge kung fu fan, im not hating).
    Best movies ever.

However I'm still of the idea that the fact that kung-fu includes weapons would give our monk an edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    hey! in Clan of the White Lotus (1980) Pai Mei was able to retract his balls so it's ok
    4 consecutive kicks to the balls, and this Monk was ok. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_7uOMuIeE

If given equal time devoted to their craft, I'll take the MMA fighter, 10 times out of 10 in a street fight. No question.

35% being bros apparently accept a "professional" wrestler being capable of defeating a monk having spent his entire life in training and perfecting all forms of lethal martial arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Margrim
    "Heroism sounds like an old lady picking flowers
    Bloodlust sounds like Freddy Krueger dualwielding Gnomes."
    Quote Originally Posted by Demichelis View Post
    Phantasmagorical novelization, oh great one. Art thou enraged?

Deleted
    Something like this...

I Think Brazilian JuJitsu has been proven to be the most effective fighting style to date. There is no way a Kung Fu master could handle a BJJ master. Its just not possible. Humans cannot block punches and grab wrists like Steven Segal in Hard To Kill. Nor can you land a Budhist Palm on someone with a knife trying to rob you.

If you go back to the early spectacle days of the UFC, you can notice that all of these mystical fighting styles were debunked with Mui Thai and BJJ.
    This guy has it right. BJJ submissions/defense + Muay Thai striking + Wrestling.

The MMA fighter would stomp the monk.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyyttoni View Post
    Something like this...
    You are seriously underestimating the capabilities of a Shaolin Master.

Deleted
    Given equal skill of the fighters, I'd say the MMA guy would win 10 out of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Scryers View Post
    Who would win, and why would they win?
    a shaolin will never fight a western world douchebag for "show". if they had to, on the other hand, i guess the mma douche would be K.O. in a few seconds/rounds/minutes.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    a shaolin will never fight a western world douchebag for "show". if they had to, on the other hand, i guess the mma douche would be K.O. in a few seconds/rounds/minutes.
    I know they wouldn't, but if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    the person who knows how to fight or the big sweaty guy who rolls around on top of another big sweaty guy and claims its fights? MMA fighters may be strong, but the fighting style (as seen on TV used by 'professionals') is homo-erotic at best.
    haha, that made my day! thanks.