View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    So, there were these presentations.... A shaolin disciple bent a spear on his neck. And that's disciple, not monk.

I don't think a wrestler would stand much chance.

Pretty cool vid, but obviously Jet Li sucks :P
    I think that a shaolin monk would beat an MMA fighter of equal or somewhat greater size. However I doubt anyone but the absolute best would be able to overcome a size difference like the one in that vid, and definitely not as cleanly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Defengar View Post
    I think that a shaolin monk would beat an MMA fighter of equal or somewhat greater size. However I doubt anyone but the absolute best would be able to overcome a size difference like the one in that vid, and definitely not as cleanly.
    Definately not the same, but a nice example of a smaller submission fighter submitting a considerably larger wrestler/striker here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    Have you seen the video of Anderson Silva grappling with a native from the Amazon rain forest? He loses 1-2.
    Grappling. Not fighting. Silva is the most accurate striker in UFC history.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 04:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    Given equal skill still applies. If you and I know all those same moves and can use them with equal skill and I have a few pounds on you, eventually I will wear you down.
    The normal school of thought here is that YOU will get worn down, not your lighter opponent.

You have to expend more effort to do the same thing as the lighter guy.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 04:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    I've known Frankie Edgar since 8th grade along with his wife. I can gaurentee you MMA is not staged.
    I bet you were pretty unhappy on Saturday then. I was too.

Edgar was talking afterwards about how he thought he won the fight, but I didn't think he came close.

What do you think?

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 04:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    The only way an MMA fighter has a chance against a shaolin monk is if the fight is fought with MMA rules, in a MMA ring. Even there, as long as the monk understands the rules and had time to prepare for fighting under these rules, 9 times out of 10 he would completely destroy the MMA fighter in no time at all.

What's an MMA fighter? Someone who trained to win MMA fights.
    What's a shoalin monk? A warrior trained to kill enemies in real combat.

How intensely is an MMA fighter trained? Casually during his youth, often starting only in teen years, usually in one discipline, for a few hours per week
    How intensely is a shaolin monk trained? Every single day since the age of 6, doing nothing but prepare to kill enemies that attack in the night, in brutal inhumane fashion that by our standards would be nothing short of child abuse

People are immensely overestimating the fighting ability of the average MMA fighter. Most are only "master" of one discipline, which really they have "mastered" to about 10% of the monk's mastery of Kung-Fu. And are completely misjudging the fighting experience of both. A lot of MMA fighters have never been in a real fight (aka no rules, no judge) against another toplevel martial arts practitioner - they are used to fights that are interupted ever 5 minutes for everyone to have a rest, where you can call on a judge to halt the fight if you get something like an eyepoke or balls-kick, where the most efficient techniques are prohibited because too dangerous, where attacking the most vulnerable bodyparts is not allowed,... . Shaolin monks, on the other hand, spend a good deal of their training beating the snot out of eachother in true freefight.

The difference between an MMA fighter and a Shaolin Monk? The MMA fighter doesn't like getting kicked in the balls so he makes a rule not to kick eachother in the balls. The Shaolin Monk doesn't like getting kicked in the balls so he learns to freaking deal with it and fight through it. The MMA fighter doesn't like getting headbutted so he makes a rule not to headbut eachother. The Shalin Monk doesn't like getting heatbutted, so he spends a good deal of time breaking walls with his head. Fact.

*Fight starts - GSP rushes toward monk - monk headbuts GSP - GSP's face melted to the back of his skull*
    This is a long and nifty post. However you are saying the MMA fighter has never been in a "real" fight, which is probably not true. Plenty of guys get into MMA as a result of being in fights and wanting to win them.

Shaolin monks, on the other hand, NEVER get into real fights under ANY circumstances. Every fight a modern monk has been in has been exhibition or sparring.

Depends.

Given that MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, that implies that a fighter from that sport could also be trained in the same fighting style as a Shaolin Monk. It also depends on whether there is a Martial Art than is considered better or a counter to whatever it is a Shaolin Monk uses. Generally the MMA fighter has access to a far greater style of fighting, so I would have to go with the MMA fighter.

Assuming the Martial Art these Monks use is the best, then you probably have to take into account work ethic as well. I'm not sure who would be in better shape? I'd imagine both take their training seriously.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think most people here are delusional. They've seen Shaolin monks in movies, and think it's real. Just because you've trained your whole life, doesn't mean you're ready to take on someone that's been in 20 real MMA fights.

I mean seriously, you're talking about breaking sticks, hitting bricks, breaking through walls. Yeah that's gonna help you in a real fight against someone who's trained specifically to fight man against man.

Average UFC fighter > average shaolin monk.
    Last edited by Beace; 2012-02-29 at 05:14 PM.

the contemporary performing warrior monks are comparable to contemporary wushu artists who focus on beautiful, elaborately dazzling form rather than original martial application and fighting prowess.
    It's mostly for show. MMA wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    I think most people here are delusional. They've seen Shaolin monks in movies, and think it's real. Just because you've trained your whole life, doesn't mean you're ready to take on someone that's been in 20 real MMA fights.

Ya, ITT: Weaboos (are they still weaboos if it's Chinese instead of Japanese?) most Asian martial arts are centered on self discipline and training or based on the other guy using punches/kicks only. In reality monks don't possess some sort of magical powers that enable them to punch out another fighter in one blow, just because they practice forms while standing on a post doesn't mean they are engaging in more serious training than a guy beating the crap out of a bag or practicing submission holds, the mysticism surrounding these monks would evaporate quickly were he to get in a fight with someone trained in BJJ or Muy Thai at the same level as his Kung Fu, they are just more practical disciplines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

Most of the stuff is fake from the movies. However, there are some rare gifted individuals who can do absolutely amazing things. A friend of mine who trained in a specific discipline of Kung Fu swears to this day that one of his masters once demonstrated somewhere between a 10-15 foot horizontal jump from a dead stand still to deliver a kick into a heavy bag that almost took the bag off where it was hanging. This friend of mine is very down to earth and is not prone to exaggeration.

Just throwing in another two cents, obviously the above does not necessarily translate into a direct fight, but I think there are truly gifted individuals in every martial art/method of training. Personally, I remember a story about a CIA Operative from their S.A.D. (Special Activities Division), who was defending an embassy when it was overrun, and managed to kill 400 attackers by himself. First with his rifle and then gun, then when he ran out of bullets, he pulled out his knife and continued to fight to allow the delegates and other embassy staff time to flee.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Most of the stuff is fake from the movies. However, there are some rare gifted individuals who can do absolutely amazing things. A friend of mine who trained in a specific discipline of Kung Fu swears to this day that one of his masters once demonstrated somewhere between a 10-15 foot horizontal jump from a dead stand still to deliver a kick into a heavy bag that almost took the bag off where it was hanging. This friend of mine is very down to earth and is not prone to exaggeration.

Just throwing in another two cents, obviously the above does not necessarily translate into a direct fight, but I think there are truly gifted individuals in every martial art/method of training. Personally, I remember a story about a CIA Operative from their S.A.D. (Special Activities Division), who was defending an embassy when it was overrun, and managed to kill 400 attackers by himself. First with his rifle and then gun, then when he ran out of bullets, he pulled out his knife and continued to fight to allow the delegates and other embassy staff time to flee.
    Well, I dunno about your first statement. Not much to say about it really.

I do agree about your second statement, and I don't find it unbelievable that that CIA story is real. The thing is, gifted MMA fighters put everything they got into training to beat another fighter, 1 on 1. Let's assume the CIA story is real. That guy is obviously amazing at what he does. But put him 1 on 1 against Anderson Silva, and he'll find himself knocked out before he knows what hit him.

I know about the first statement. The world record for standing long jump is 3.71 meters. Nobody jumped 5 meters and also threw a kick that almost took the bag off. Did not happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    I know about the first statement. The world record for standing long jump is 3.71 meters. Nobody jumped 5 meters and also threw a kick that almost took the bag off. Did not happen.
    You are forgetting a well-known fact: Asian martial artists have magic
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

I do agree about your second statement, and I don't find it unbelievable that that CIA story is real. The thing is, gifted MMA fighters put everything they got into training to beat another fighter, 1 on 1. Let's assume the CIA story is real. That guy is obviously amazing at what he does. But put him 1 on 1 against Anderson Silva, and he'll find himself knocked out before he knows what hit him.
    Anderson Silva may be the greatest fighter of our age (at least, that we've been given the opportunity to observe)... but in history? I know we only have conjecture to go off of, but looking at Chinese history, where at one time the masters did challenge each other to duels to the death quite regularly to prove whose martial art was superior.. things may be different. But of course, we can never know, it's all speculation. But just throwing in some more food for thought

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    Believe what you want. Also between 10 and 15 feet translates to 3.048 to 4.572 meters. Since it was a given range, and this story is from a friend, I tended to believe in the lower range of the category.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, that was Mike Spann. It wasn't an embassy, it was an Afghan prison and it wasn't being attacked, there was a riot. He never used a rifle and he killed 3 rioters, not 400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Micheal_Spann

So, I'm sure you'll forgive me if I take the whole 15 foot horizontal leap thing with an asteroid size grain of salt.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Yeah, that was Mike Spann. It wasn't an embassy, it was an Afghan prison and it wasn't being attacked, there was a riot. He never used a rifle and he killed 3 rioters, not 400.

So, I'm sure you'll forgive me if I take the whole 15 foot horizontal leap thing with an asteroid size grain of salt.
    Unable to find this... as it was relayed to me from a friend (a different one), I'll cede this point to you and claim my story was fabricated/exaggerated.

I still hold true to my point that there are truly gifted individuals in every method of training and some are capable of mind blowing feats that would be considered nearly impossible.
    Last edited by Shaderas; 2012-02-29 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post

I was laughing so hard when I read this I shot Coke Zero out of my nose.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not the story I was thinking of, I'll see if I can pull up more on it later..
    Good luck with that!

That's not the story I was thinking of, I'll see if I can pull up more on it later..
    You were thinking of the other CIA S.A.D. operative who was overrun by 400 guys? And the one you are thinking of lived? That's impressive. The CIA must be suppressing the story.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    Anderson Silva may be the greatest fighter of our age (at least, that we've been given the opportunity to observe)... but in history? I know we only have conjecture to go off of, but looking at Chinese history, where at one time the masters did challenge each other to duels to the death quite regularly to prove whose martial art was superior.. things may be different. But of course, we can never know, it's all speculation. But just throwing in some more food for thought
    One point I do like to make. In modern MMA, asian fighters generally aren't doing very well. There's a couple of exceptions (Sakuraba comes to mind), but that's just the way it is. I've no idea why, but it's something to think about while on this subject.

And if you look at the history of modern MMA, it all started with the idea of pitching different fighting styles against each other, and see who came out on top. There has been Kung Fu fighers in UFC, but none of them were successful. The methods that have been proven to work in 1 on 1 fights, is wrestling, striking and BJJ. The Asian styles we love to see in movies, just don't seem to be able to compete.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    One point I do like to make. In modern MMA, asian fighters generally aren't doing very well. There's a couple of exceptions (Sakuraba comes to mind), but that's just the way it is. I've no idea why, but it's something to think about while on this subject.

And if you look at the history of modern MMA, it all started with the idea of pitching different fighting styles against each other, and see who came out on top. There has been Kung Fu fighers in UFC, but none of them were successful. The methods that have been proven to work in 1 on 1 fights, is wrestling, striking and BJJ. The Asian styles we love to see in movies, just don't seem to be able to compete.
    Well personally, they need to take it to the next level and start fighting no holds barred... sign the death waiver and compete. Then we'll see which style is truly best..

As for the above posters, I am officially retracting my comments about that CIA operative, and am eating my words. If you would like me to commit suicide for my grievous error you can always PM me and we can talk about it

10+ Year Old Account

Well, they can definitely compete, but the nature of the competition demands that they be bolstered by grappling skills. Just look at how many UFC champs have backgrounds in Kyokushin and its derivatives or Muay Thai. They just need to be adapted to the environment they're in and they work just fine.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 06:18 PM ----------

As for the above posters, I am officially retracting my comments about that CIA operative, and am eating my words. If you would like me to commit suicide for my grievous error you can always PM me and we can talk about it
    Well aren't we dramatic!