Graphics and responsiveness decrease on new PC?

This is what I had;
    CPU Intel i5
    RAM 6GB DDR3
    GPU GeForce GT240

This is what I have now;
    CPU Intel i7
    RAM 8GB DDR3
    GPU Radeon 6450

Now I keep graphics settings on 'low' and don't get more than 30 fps in empty zones and the screen is jerky if I try to look around. Needless to say I had overall better performance on my old machine. I've heard Nvidia is better for gaming but is AMD really THIS bad?

That graphics card is actually worse than the one you had. They're both pretty bad, but the radeon is worse, I mean it's horrible. It has nothing to do with Nvidia vs AMD.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    Look for yourself just to see how they compare. The GT 240 is in the 700s, while the 6450 is way down in the 300s.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-02-29 at 05:13 AM.

I was under the impression that the AMD was higher end than my old 240. My GeForce doesn't even work with DirectX 11 where as the AMD does.

If I was to buy a new Nvidia card, what would you recommend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah thats a pretty low end gfx card. If you want good performance you want a ati 6850 or nvidia 550 or better.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3107.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-7.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ateup View Post
    If I was to buy a new Nvidia card, what would you recommend?
    What's the most you're willing to spend and how many watts is your PSU?

Quote Originally Posted by tehTyrant View Post
    If you want good performance you want a ati 6850 or nvidia 550 or better.
    The issue is that I had good performance with my 240. I still have it so I'll probably just try plugging it into my new PC.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 05:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    What's the most you're willing to spend and how many watts is your PSU?
    460 Watts

10char

I'd say either GTX 550 Ti or GTX 460. You wouldn't have to upgrade your PSU with either of those and you'll notice a good difference. The GTX 550 Ti is about $20-30 cheaper than the GTX 460, but I think the $20-30 is worth the increase in performance that you'll see with the GTX 460.

ya, like others have said, that radeon is like a fat girl in a tube top dancing on a bar counter, fucking blasted on 2 dollar jello shots. ahem, that is to say, not a good thing.

if you get a new GFX card (which you should, see above analogy) make sure it has AT LEAST 1-2 gigs of (g)ddr3/5 memory--anything under 1gig is a fossil right now; hell even 2 gigs is starting to get low-end.

i have a nvidia 560ti and it runs the game on max settings, 4x AA, at 13xx X 7xx resolution (got a 19inch monitor) at a constant 50-60+ FPS, which is just fine. for about $130-180 (depends on where ya shop), it can be yours. also, i run an i3, so it's definitely not your processor.

also, you might already know this but ill still say it anyway, make sure you are:

--running in admin

--updating drivers

--running in compatibility mode for windows xp service pack 3 or 2
    Last edited by Qwell; 2012-02-29 at 02:54 PM.
    "Angle of incidence equals angle of reflectance. Meaning, if you can see them, they can see you. Use the environment around you. Free yourself from the tyranny of eye-level!"--Roger Dodger i also play the git-box
    Poke THIS Robot--it's a link to MY MUSIC!--