HM Warmaster as Shadow

We're working on HM Warmaster, and we're trying to get the drakes down as fast as possible. When they are harpooned they're easy enough to target, but while they're flying around, they're very difficult to target.

I play on a 1280x1024 resolution with a smaller monitor, and I use the /cameradistancemaxfactor macro to get extra room when I scroll back, but I've seen most HM videos of Priests doing this who are pulled way further back than I am, and can target and multidot the drakes flying overhead much more easily than I can. I can't even see them most of the time.

Is the solution to this to just make a targeting macro for the drakes? Seems to me that might be problematic since they have the same name. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Deleted
    Personally I make sure I'm on the left side of the boat for all 3 waves as they fly over. Start attacking the left one as soon as it comes into range and track its flight, will have all 3 dots on it when it's roughly half way over the boat at which point both drakes are close together so it's not too hard to change target.

As for camera angle I simply look up rather than scrolling out etc.

There is no issue with creating a target macro. They fly over at a different pace. If you are FACING the cabin, the drake on the right will always be in range before the drake on the left. Just try it.

What kynd said. Targetting macro and voila, problems solved

Has anyone an idea if Shadowfiend has been fixed in 4.3.3 as in he will stay on a drake rather than falling off the boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminee View Post
    Has anyone an idea if Shadowfiend has been fixed in 4.3.3 as in he will stay on a drake rather than falling off the boat?
    An easy workaround is just to spawn your Shadowfiend on one of the ground adds and let the orbs generate that way.

Isn't it hard coded to assisting these days?

15+ Year Old Account
    Zoom your camera way out, there is a macro to let it shift beyond the max set by blizzard which is also useful.

Angle your camera down and stand in the path they fly over to maximize gcd's you get on them (I can usually get MB,VT,Pain,DP - VT, Pain if I'm in the perfect spot anywhere along their path).

I'll link you to our first warmaster kill video (from shadow perspective) so you can see where I'm positioning for drake fly-bys - it's pretty useful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4KSdRk9PD0
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Great video, but god damn are those sounds annoying :P the thunder/k-tching noices that ur power auras make? Damn, I had to stop watching they we're hurting my ears :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ignominious View Post
    Great video, but god damn are those sounds annoying :P the thunder/k-tching noices that ur power auras make? Damn, I had to stop watching they we're hurting my ears :P
    Completely agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamiel View Post
    Simple question what healer gives you personally the biggest headache in pvp?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobajobjob View Post
    I play a ret paladin, so my answer is this:

Yes.

Deleted
    I hate specific target macros for one reason: you don't have to have any awareness or skill whatsoever to use them. The only exception is if it is impossible to target them faster without macros (for example tendons). I don't mean macros such as /target boss1, those are fine, but macros like /target Assualt.

Deleted
    Isn't it hard coded to assisting these days?
    Could anyone answer him please? I'm interested in this too. He wonders if it's possible to cast SF and attack a Dreadblade while we MS/MB a dragon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyStanger View Post
    Completely agreed!
    Is it really that bad? I guess I'm used to it - I've had those sounds in all expansion.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarc View Post
    Could anyone answer him please? I'm interested in this too. He wonders if it's possible to cast SF and attack a Dreadblade while we MS/MB a dragon.
    it is, you just need to make it attack the melee adds once its out

13/13M Jubei'thos - Oceanic 8th - US 53rd

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatari View Post
    it is, you just need to make it attack the melee adds once its out
    The problem I encountered with this is that SF will jump to my current target if it shadowcrawls. Am I missing something?

The problem I encountered with this is that SF will jump to my current target if it shadowcrawls. Am I missing something?
    When they changed the way Fiend works to assist the wording they used was that it would attack the target you are doing the most damage to. So you can cast it on one target, but then when you switch get your dots up and start casting MB on a different target he will change too.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    When they changed the way Fiend works to assist the wording they used was that it would attack the target you are doing the most damage to. So you can cast it on one target, but then when you switch get your dots up and start casting MB on a different target he will change too.
    Well, on the dummies I found it possible to have the SF stay on the secondary target if I keep VT and SWP on that target running while MS/MB-ing my first target. Your conclusion makes sense, maybe there is a weird threshold coded within, not just more damage. I am really interested though in how other shadowpriests handle Blackhorn then, because I haven't been using MS/MB-rotation at all before phase 2 because of this issue. It's still possible to kill the dreadblade in time but the extra damage would be nice.

Oh there definitely is a threshold... I probably worded that weirdly (I just got my morning coffee!). As long as you keep up dots on the target you want fiend to stay on he should... but if they start to fall off/you don't occasionally hit that target with something Fiend decides the original target is boring.