Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Factions/World Pvp

I'm new to the Guild Wars franchise and have a question about Guild Wars 2:

Are there any divisional factions at all in the game? IE: Alliance/Horde in WoW.

And if not, how is non zone dependant world pvp possible (if at all present)? Is it like Age of Conan where everyone is on their own and can be killed by anyone else?

You go against other servers in WvWvW. It's server vs server vs server (server = world). There's a green team, a blue team, and a red team.

When you're in PvE zones there is no PvP at all, so you can't be ganked out in the open world. You can visit other servers, but you can't fight other players there.

You can only fight enemy players on the WvWvW maps, and in the battlegrounds.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Pvp
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-03-01 at 03:54 AM.

No factions. All PVP happens in battleground or in World vs. World-- a bigger battleground pitting servers against each other.

No. It's not. And no.
    Anet's reasoning is that they don't want to split the community. They cater for pretty much every taste, but don't provide exclusivity in order to do it.
    That's most people's only beef, that in some way, shape or form they want exclusivity.

FFA PvP would be kind of fun tbh. I've never thought about for an MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I played an MMO with FFA PvP... it can be fun, but knowing the community these days, there'd be too many whiners.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

There are some out there that is FFA PVP. Most of them are free to try as well. Check them out. It can be thrilling but also frustrating.

Asherons Call had a server like that, it was a big hit for the players that were into that kinda thing.

The community did something pretty cool stuff with it too with the way they made their guilds. People would label their guilds as either PK or anti-PK. The PK guilds would attack anybody outside the guild with no hesitations, and the anti-pk guilds were neutral with all the other anti-pk guilds, but they weren't neutral with pk guilds.

Then you also ended up with guild owned dungeons, and they'd fight to protect them.

It was the most hardcore game I've ever played. If you weren't careful, you could end up dropping some of your best gear when you died and whoever killed you would be allowed to loot it off your body. It certainly wasn't a place where carebears belonged lol

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Asherons Call had a server like that, it was a big hit for the players that were into that kinda thing.

The community did something pretty cool stuff with it too with the way they made their guilds. People would label their guilds as either PK or anti-PK. The PK guilds would attack anybody outside the guild with no hesitations, and the anti-pk guilds were neutral with all the other anti-pk guilds, but they weren't neutral with pk guilds.

Then you also ended up with guild owned dungeons, and they'd fight to protect them.

It was the most hardcore game I've ever played. If you weren't careful, you could end up dropping some of your best gear when you died and whoever killed you would be allowed to loot it off your body. It certainly wasn't a place where carebears belonged lol
    They had a similar system in Runescape when I played it. Dying = Lose all every single item you had on you.

It was terrifying. =\

Especially since the only way to get back that gear was grind for hours. (which I hate)

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post

It would be fun in GW2 tbh, I wish/hope they make a FFA PvP server, though I highly doubt it. People just become "unattackable" if a dynamic event is happening/starting nearby.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

They had a similar system in Runescape when I played it. Dying = Lose all every single item you had on you.

It was terrifying. =\

Especially since the only way to get back that gear was grind for hours.
    In AC there was a way to protect your items from dropping, but it was expensive. The items you dropped was based on the value (how much it sold to vendors for), so if it had a high value there was a very good chance that you'd drop it. You ended up carrying a lot of items people would call 'death items' which were just a bunch of high value low burden items.

Overtime they made it easier to protect your items by adding stuff that would increase the value of an item by a percentage, so you had more expensive death items, and then there was a passive benefit so you would drop less items when you died.

It was terrifying. =\

Especially since the only way to get back that gear was grind for hours. (which I hate)
    Asherons call was not quite that hardcore. They had a system where you'd drop a number of items on death that increased as you gained levels. Normaly 1-2 at low levels but could be up into the 6-8 range at high levels. It would always drop the most expensive items(based on vendor gold price) you had so it was common pratice to carry "Death Items" generaly high value low weight items that you didnt care that much if you lost them. Conversely you wanted your equipment to be as good as possible while haveing the lowest gold value as possible as they are easier to cover that way. for PVE normaly carrying 2 deaths worth of items was enough but hardcore PVP'ers could run around with 5-6 deaths worth and would loot any death items their foes droped to add to their own buffer.

Who is John Galt?

I know someones going to correct me, so I'll just say it, I meant for PvP. In normal combat you kept the 3 most valuable (usually the least valuable to players ._. ) items on you. In PvP you dropped everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    Asherons call was not quite that hardcore. They had a system where you'd drop a number of items on death that increased as you gained levels. Normaly 1-2 at low levels but could be up into the 6-8 range at high levels. It would always drop the most expensive items(based on vendor gold price) you had so it was common pratice to carry "Death Items" generaly high value low weight items that you didnt care that much if you lost them. Conversely you wanted your equipment to be as good as possible while haveing the lowest gold value as possible as they are easier to cover that way. for PVE normaly carrying 2 deaths worth of items was enough but hardcore PVP'ers could run around with 5-6 deaths worth and would loot any death items their foes droped to add to their own buffer.
    Sounds like a softcore Diablo II on steriods, seeing as in Diablo you lost everything, and people could steal your gold.

Though iirc they couldn't loot your bodies, but damned be you if you tried to get it back or you DCed from the server for any reason.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Sounds like a softcore Diablo II on steriods, seeing as in Diablo you lost everything, and people could steal your gold.

Though iirc they couldn't loot your bodies, but damned be you if you tried to get it back or you DCed from the server for any reason.
    Isn't Diablo singleplayer...?

10+ Year Old Account
    I never found world pvp very enticing anyways. It's most always one person getting ganked by a group of dicks who just want to kill you and ruin your questing experience or material gathering, simply because you are killable.

I was never around for the supposed "glory days" of Tarren Mill vs Southshore, but whenever I hear about it, it doesn't sound fun to me. Structured pvp with objectives has always seemed more fun.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I never found world pvp very enticing anyways. It's most always one person getting ganked by a group of dicks who just want to kill you and ruin your questing experience or material gathering, simply because you are killable.

I was never around for the supposed "glory days" of Tarren Mill vs Southshore, but whenever I hear about it, it doesn't sound fun to me. Structured pvp with objectives has always seemed more fun.
    My only world PvP experience is at the beginning of expansions, and sitting by nodes in stealth.

It's fun, I'm like a spider. Patiently waiting for my prey to get stuck in my sticky web...

nehehehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't Diablo singleplayer...?
    Diablo II was on battle.net, and if you didn't PW protect your server, people could hop in and straight up kill you, steal your gold, and leave. Even worse were the people who camped your corpse and dared you to come and get it.

And if you died too many times, tere was a limit to howmany corpses could be in the game, so it would remove the oldest one first...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    Diablo II was on battle.net, and if you didn't PW protect your server, people could hop in and straight up kill you, steal your gold, and leave. Even worse were the people who camped your corpse and dared you to come and get it.

And if you died too many times, tere was a limit to howmany corpses could be in the game, so it would remove the oldest one first...
    Oh my god that's terrible XD

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Back in the days of AC there was actually a good amount of players that had respect. It was very common to have 1v1 fights where other people just sat around and watched. The community was way better 9-12 years ago.