Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Has SWTOR inspired you to try other Bioware products?"

Well my first BioWare product was Baldur's Gate, if I recall correctly, so no... It has not. In fact TOR was another recent title from BioWare that made me ponder "what happened?" DAO was quite good. DA2? Not so much... Didn't bother with ME but ME2 was nice and ME3 isn't bad either. However, Baldur's Gate was incredible, BioWare's games that followed it have not impressed me anywhere near as much.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    I actually found the Prothean to be a much bigger part of the story than either Zaeed or Kasumi. You have far fewer companions than ME2 so each one adds a lot of to the social/story interactions, and the Prothean was more than a washed-up merc or a thief. Luckily I didn't spend 1 cent for ME3, I do not like being treated like a cash cow.

After ME3 (not after SWTOR), I will very, very carefully think about buying Bioware games again, not due to quality - but due to ethics behind the company.

Edit - I do not usually buy games before trying them, so I usually download either a demo (if there is one of decent quality), or a pirated full version to try it out. If the game does not appeal to me, I will not buy it. But if the game is good I will buy it even if I have already played it for free. Happened with TW:Shogun 2, ME1, DA1, Witcher 1, Kingsbounty, Heroes 5 etc. I am on a strict budget and I will not part with my money for games/companies that I feel don't deserve it.
    Last edited by mmocc468b26ddc; 2012-03-15 at 08:58 PM.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    I love both Blizzard and BioWare games.

But saying something like THAT means you are either very, very stupid, trolling or just incredibly ignorant not to care/know about BW's straight up LEGENDARY games.

Give me an infraction.
    Honestly, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2 and Starcraft: BW are somewhat more legendary than ME, DA, KoToR and a bundle of games most people have never heard of this day and age (NWN, BG, ICWD and that Jade thing).

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Thrage View Post
    Dragon Age: Origins is a fantastic game, and probably my personal favorite BioWare offering. The combat however is not for everyone - at the easiest difficulties it's boring, and at the hardest, highly tactical and a lot of fun, but only IF you're into that whole pausing every other second thing. I guess the same could be said for most BioWare games, all the way back to Baldur's Gate (which is another one I recommend if you don't mind that it came out in 1998.)

Dragon Age 2 is ... not so fantastic. But some people like it.

As for ME3, I'll be participating in the boycott of the title. Day-one DLC is wrong, and as much as I love the series, I don't love it enough to reinforce game studios to continue this sort of trend.
    The only other Bioware games I have tried is DA:O and Mass Effect 1. I played DA for maybe 10 hours and like you said, the combat system wasn't for me. Maybe I will install it again. I liked Mass Effect 1 but only played it for a few hours. I picked it up after playing SWTOR in beta because I wanted to get more of a feel for the cut scenes but overall, I was still raiding in WoW at the time and didn't have the time to really mess with it but will go back to it someday and then MA2 after.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was pretty disappointed with ToR and more so with ME3, but alot of Bioware's games before these 2 was still some of the best I've played. That said, I'm still planning on buying their games if they manage to catch my interest.

I finally got a copy of KOTOR to play. Haven't played it since it came out, so I'm pretty psyched to refresh my memory on all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by WZT View Post
    I actually found the Prothean to be a much bigger part of the story than either Zaeed or Kasumi. You have far fewer companions than ME2 so each one adds a lot of to the social/story interactions, and the Prothean was more than a washed-up merc or a thief. Luckily I didn't spend 1 cent for ME3, I do not like being treated like a cash cow.

After ME3 (not after SWTOR), I will very, very carefully think about buying Bioware games again, not due to quality - but due to ethics behind the company.

Edit - I do not usually buy games before trying them, so I usually download either a demo (if there is one of decent quality), or a pirated full version to try it out. If the game does not appeal to me, I will not buy it. But if the game is good I will buy it even if I have already played it for free. Happened with TW:Shogun 2, ME1, DA1, Witcher 1, Kingsbounty, Heroes 5 etc. I am on a strict budget and I will not part with my money for games/companies that I feel don't deserve it.
    Now now, don't be a hypocrite. You cannot fault Bioware for ethics while you pirate games. You are hurting the gaming industry more than Bioware's questionable choices with their games. Pirating is bad. Period. If you are really tight funded maybe playing video games is not a good hobby until you get a bit extra funds.

In regards to the OP - ToR hasn't inspired me to play other Bioware games, quite the opposite. Bioware has inspired me to try ToR. Sadly something has happened to effect the experiences people have with their games. Expectations? Rose colored glasses? Quality of games slowly dropping? Who knows. What I do know is I won't be purchasing another Bioware product for a while.

If despire or unspire were words...They would be more appropriate.

For me was the reverse, it was the other Bioware products that got me into SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nooooope, unfortunately.

Nope, was a Bioware fan beforehand. However, thanks to ME3, not so much anymore. I'll definitely have a much more cautious and critical eye towards Bioware products in the future.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

DAO, DA2, ME1, ME2, ME3, SWTOR; all use exactly the same graphics engine (par TOR which is a heavily modified version), same models, same texturing, same speech system, same Good/Bad System (Sith/Jedi, Renegade/Paragon).
    In-fact so much is recycled all the way down to hand gestures of character models i feel like i have played the same game 6 times over.

No, SWTOR is so bad, I won't buy any Bioware games. I don't have any faith in them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    DAO, DA2, ME1, ME2, ME3, SWTOR; all use exactly the same graphics engine (par TOR which is a heavily modified version).
    Tor uses the hero engine which is not used in the mass effect series of games or dragon age games. Mass effect uses unreal engine and I can't remember what dragon age uses. If you actually played any of them you'd realize that while they share similarities (due to being from the same development company) they are actually really different.

the Prothean was CE content not day one dlc as in you go to the store buy your one game and you have it EA just gave you people that did not get the CE a way to get him for 9.99 the day the game came out bioware should have just not given it to you. i think DA2 was the only game i did not like playing and odly it had the most gray out of the Good Bad options. but i am mostly a fan of all the games. i play SWtor a little to much like a one player game thow.

Deleted
    You cannot deny the amount of work put into Mass Effect 3, it is simply hipocratic and honestly just a bad excuse of people to say they will pirate the whole game because of day 1 DLC.

Deleted
    so far i have played kotor when it was released, mass effect 1 and swtor, and have enjoyed them all, i dont get why mass effect 3 is getting so much hate, probably because of Total biscuits hate video towards it, which is weird because people discredit him for his wow comments, but totally buy into his Me3 hate, weird

I have never played the ME games, but I was going to play ME3 when it came out as i heard the series was good.

I then saw total biscuits video on how dickish they were. I then realised it was Bioware. WHo i spent £50 on ToR to find out it was the shittest game I have ever played.

Bioware is the worst large games company around.

Can't say I'm actually a _fan_ of Bioware. Used to be, but that stopped after BG2 when they started having a really sketchy record on their products. TOR, Dragon Age 2, and ME3 have only accelerated this decline. I'm really starting to lose all faith in them. Mass Effect was the one series from them I still loved, and ME3 shit all over that, so I'm not really sure what to think of them anymore.

Deleted
    Pirating the game is my response to them treating their customers like bottomless pits of cash. The DLC was clearly made before the game was shipped, there was no "extra" development time dedicated to it (and as the script leaked before the released showed - they actually pulled the DLC out of the content from the main game just so they could tax some more).

Now its their right to price and sell their products however they wish, but it is also my right not to agree with that. The only reason I actually bothered to pirate it isn't because I'm cheap, but because after having invested time and interest in ME1 and ME2 (along with most of the DLCs they had), I actually wanted a good sendoff to the series. I didn't get it. For me the ending and the DLC stunt cheapened the whole deal - and as the interview with the lead writers again shows - it was simply laziness and lack of respect for their customers that lead to the "endings" we got - (the pulled Illusive Man fight, the lack of closure, the plot holes, the bad premise etc).

But hey, I'm sure many people like it. This is my opinion and my actions and I stand by them. I'd rather spend my money on Kickstart and try and actively fund (however small a part that is) a game that I think I will enjoy, than spend money on incomplete games and companies that produce them.