Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Which is exactly how I feel. I refuse to support a company that allows RMAH in one game, releases two raid patches in 1.5-2 years of an expansion (Cataclysm), and still charges 25 dollars for realm/faction transfer when other games do it for free.
    - Wow content patches are FREE.
    - Diablo 3 is FREE for Annual Pass subscribers.
    - Realm/faction changes cost money because it keeps people from arbitrarily causing population shifts on servers. It also safeguards against exploiting the economies of servers.

Also, the main point of many people here, is that the gaming industry is becoming increasingly greedy as time goes on. Once upon a time you could buy a game, and it would come with free merchandise to help promote the game. Now, they want you to pay EXTRA just to get access to the full game, and they want you to BUY merchandise that is marked up at a crazy price. $3 mouse pad for $50? Really!?

And yes, we all know that you don't HAVE to buy any of that stuff. The point is that once upon a time you didn't have to buy that stuff..... and you got it for FREE anyway. It really does amount to corporate greed, and the only cure is for consumers to stop throwing money at the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    - Wow content patches are FREE.
    - Diablo 3 is FREE for Annual Pass subscribers.
    - Realm/faction changes cost money because it keeps people from arbitrarily causing population shifts on servers. It also safeguards against exploiting the economies of servers.

Also, the main point of many people here, is that the gaming industry is becoming increasingly greedy as time goes on. Once upon a time you could buy a game, and it would come with free merchandise to help promote the game. Now, they want you to pay EXTRA just to get access to the full game, and they want you to BUY merchandise that is marked up at a crazy price. $3 mouse pad for $50? Really!?

And yes, we all know that you don't HAVE to buy any of that stuff. The point is that once upon a time you didn't have to buy that stuff..... and you got it for FREE anyway. It really does amount to corporate greed, and the only cure is for consumers to stop throwing money at the problem.
    WoW content patches are not free when you pay a subscription, lol. And why am I supposed to care if D3 is free for annual passers?

"Realm/faction changes cost money because it keeps people from arbitrarily causing population shifts on servers. It also safeguards against exploiting the economies of servers. "

And this could easily be solved by caps on how many times you can do it, or a timeframe before you can do it again.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Bioware games has always been my favourite games, so I wanted to play SWTOR because 1. It's a Bioware game, 2. Only form for Kotor we're likely to get at this point, 3. It's Star Wars and an MMO coming out the same time I've gotten tired of WoW.

Sadly Bioware continue to dissapoint me these days. Loved DA:O, DA:2 was absolutely horrible. And now SWTOR, a buggy game with a shitty engine and very bad PvP. I'm truly worried about Bioware and I hope they do not screw ME3 up, since it's probably my favourite franchise. I will probably not buy a Bioware game again after ME, maybe when it's in the bargain bin.

SWTOR inspired me to play the Mass Effect series again, if only to remind myself that Bioware can actually make a good game. >.<

Deleted
    The whole nickle-and-dime tactic employed by unfortunately more and more developers has caused me to simply buy used games, pirate the dlcs, or borrow games from my friends (and lend games I buy to them). I actually spent less on games in the past 3 years (while playing more) then I did in the period before that. I will still buy new games from companies that I respect and that churn out good products (Witcher 2 was great, no securom, internet activation or other protection crap), sometimes I will even buy games I don't intend on immediately playing just to support companies (Total War Shogun 2).

But I refuse to be treated like a cash cow. Oh I will find ways to play games without paying a dime to the developers/distributors - and I'm pretty sure most people that think like me do. I'd rather borrow, rent, pirate or buy used than be forced to fork out money for content that should've been in the game in the first place. If the companies want me to respect their work, they need to respect me too.

Has SWTOR inspired you to try other Bioware products?
    No, the opposite. I gave SWTOR a shot because I really enjoyed other BW games. I'm really looking forward to ME3.

That's also one of the reasons I was so disappointed in SWTOR.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgrym View Post
    No, the opposite. I gave SWTOR a shot because I really enjoyed other BW games. I'm really looking forward to ME3.

That's also one of the reasons I was so disappointed in SWTOR.
    I completely agree with this. ME3 can't come out soon enough (TWO MORE DAYS AMG!) and SWTOR... meh. I levelled to 49 in my free month of playing after a friend bought me the game, and cancelled my sub. It was ok for a couple of hours, but there's just something about it that really doesn't hook me in like wow did. Maybe it's too early in swtor and there's nothing that interests me (I joined wow around the time BT came out in BC, so there was plenty of stuff to do by then). But to me, SWTOR is a slight black mark on Bioware's record. Not enough to make me change my opinion about the company, but enough to make me wonder why they did things the way they did

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Yes because pirating the game doesn't compromise your position one bit. Actually if im not mistaken even your demagogue had some choice words about those advocating piracy of the game in one of his viewer mail sessions.
    Piracy is the only powerful consumer tool we have today. I have pirated next to every game I've ever played, and only bought them if they lived up to my expectations. I've always bought BioWare games first though, ever since KOTOR, but the catastrophe that was Dragon Age 2 convinced me not to do so. Valve and Bethesda are the only game developers I still have respect for, and they are coincidentally the only game developers who produce AAA-quality games without nickle and dime-tactics, and they are not infested by the greed of Activision or EA.

I'll pirate ME3 and the DLC, not give EA a nickle and enjoy the game to its fullest. Why? Who knows if ME3 turns out to be the same recycled crap that DA2 was, and this DLC-affair has really gone on my nerves.
    Last edited by Adrianoz; 2012-03-04 at 04:13 PM.

WoW content patches are not free when you pay a subscription, lol. And why am I supposed to care if D3 is free for annual passers?
    Wait, you pay for your content patches? Most of us just pay for a subscription. D3 is free, why wouldn't you care about that?

"Realm/faction changes cost money because it keeps people from arbitrarily causing population shifts on servers. It also safeguards against exploiting the economies of servers. "

And this could easily be solved by caps on how many times you can do it, or a timeframe before you can do it again.
    Or they could just leave the system as it is?

Wait, you pay for your content patches? Most of us just pay for a subscription. D3 is free, why wouldn't you care about that?

Or they could just leave the system as it is?
    So what do you think finances those content patches, genius? D3 is not free, you have to subscribe for 12 months to World of Warcraft and receive D3 in return, that's creative accounting.

So what do you think finances those content patches, genius? D3 is not free, you have to subscribe for 12 months to World of Warcraft and receive D3 in return, that's creative accounting.
    Creative accounting?

So let's say I don't sign up for the annual pass, and I pay for 12 consecutive months of Wow anyway, since I enjoy the game and don't plan on taking any breaks. If I then want to get D3, I have to pay full price for it, just like everyone else who didn't get the annual pass.

But if I sign up for the annual pass, knowing full well I am going to stay subbed to Wow over the next 12 months, then I get D3 for free. Does that make any sense to you?

In one scenario, I am playing Wow as I normally would, and I have to pay for D3. In the next scenario, I am playing Wow as I normally would, and getting D3 without paying any money.

Also, content patches are free. Expansions cost money. Wow sub costs money. While I am sure a portion of Wow sub fees go to pay for the development of game content, they do not increase during the period of time when new content comes out. Hence, the content is provided at no additional cost (free).

10+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect inspired my hopes in TOR. TOR has killed my hopes for future BW games. Then again, they do know how to make RPGs, just not MMOs.
    I like sandwiches

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arog View Post
    No, in fact I am going to stay away from Bioware games due to SWTOR.
    Same here. SWTOR has made me much less willing to buy Bioware games.

-

Really? I don't recall a time when I got all that content free. It was usually built over time and sold as an expansion. I guess back in the day programmers didn't like to get paid? What a world the past was..

It's the other way around for me. Knowing and loving previous Bioware titles assured me that ToR wasen't going to be a waste of time and money. I'm not disappointed.
    Thank you to Serrin for the signature!
    PC Stuffs: i7-4790K | Z97X-SLI | 16GB DDR3-1866 | GTX-780 | 256GB Samsung EVO | 1TB WD Blue | SuperNOVA 650 Gold | Fractal r4 Blackout | Dark Rock Pro 3

Quote Originally Posted by tehTyrant View Post
    People expect way too much out of a video game nowadays. Games don't need to brush your teeth, clean your room, bathe your dog, do your dishes and shine your shoes.
    actually... they do exact this. But the one thing they do not do anymore today... is to entertain me. FPS with 5 hours single player is just "rofl" but they do have lots of multiplayer bullshit in it none cares about actually. and ofc lots of DLC crap 2 months after release.

Really? I don't recall a time when I got all that content free. It was usually built over time and sold as an expansion. I guess back in the day programmers didn't like to get paid? What a world the past was..
    Nah, it's that once upon a time, Developers were just happy that you bought their games, so they gave you free stuff to show their appreciation, as they deposited truckloads of your money in the bank.

Now days, they own bigger trucks so they want more of your money, they started charging for the free stuff. Back in the day, you buy a game for a console/PC, get a complete game with unlockable content via 'achievements' or codes, and maybe get a t shirt or a hat or a key chain or a peripheral device for free with the game.

Not anymore.

Nah, it's that once upon a time, Developers were just happy that you bought their games, so they gave you free stuff to show their appreciation, as they deposited truckloads of your money in the bank.

Now days, they own bigger trucks so they want more of your money, they started charging for the free stuff. Back in the day, you buy a game for a console/PC, get a complete game with unlockable content via 'achievements' or codes, and maybe get a t shirt or a hat or a key chain or a peripheral device for free with the game.

Not anymore.
    I must have missed all those Blizzard expansions for their games that I bought.. they just came free in the mail once upon a time.

I must have missed all those Blizzard expansions for their games that I bought.. they just came free in the mail once upon a time.
    Pretty sure I never said anything about Blizzard releasing free expansions to their games. However, when I originally bought Star Craft, I was given access to all the content the game had at no additional charge, as well as continuing developer support for updates and fixes. When Brood War came out, it was the same deal. I paid for the game, was given access to the entire game up front at no additional charge. Was given access to B.net at no additional charge. Was given the ability to use my single copy of the game to install multi player support amongst all the machines in a given area so we could play multi player without everyone going out and buying the game.

When I went and bought my copy of Halo 1 for Xbox, it came with unlockable content at no additional cost. I was given a Halo lanyard at no additional cost as part of a promotion.

The entire point being that once upon a time, developers weren't sitting around monetizing these things to inflate the cost of the game you're buying. They didn't release a game that was finished except for the bonus mission/map pack/additional characters they were intentionally withholding from the game so they could charge players an extra $10 for it.

TB hit all this on the head perfectly in his video, I'm not sure why you feel like you need to argue about it.

Pretty sure I never said anything about Blizzard releasing free expansions to their games. However, when I originally bought Star Craft, I was given access to all the content the game had at no additional charge, as well as continuing developer support for updates and fixes. When Brood War came out, it was the same deal. I paid for the game, was given access to the entire game up front at no additional charge. Was given access to B.net at no additional charge. Was given the ability to use my single copy of the game to install multi player support amongst all the machines in a given area so we could play multi player without everyone going out and buying the game.

When I went and bought my copy of Halo 1 for Xbox, it came with unlockable content at no additional cost. I was given a Halo lanyard at no additional cost as part of a promotion.

The entire point being that once upon a time, developers weren't sitting around monetizing these things to inflate the cost of the game you're buying. They didn't release a game that was finished except for the bonus mission/map pack/additional characters they were intentionally withholding from the game so they could charge players an extra $10 for it.

TB hit all this on the head perfectly in his video, I'm not sure why you feel like you need to argue about it.
    Interesting. TB and you share out dated ideas and thusly were all to follow along. I'll help you catch up. When mass effect 3 is released I will be granted all the content that was in mass effect 3. If I so choose their is bonus content available on the web but I am not required to buy it. If the internet were as readily available years ago and the cost of games was the same then as it is now you'd still see the same thing. Their are many forces at work at play here that TB remains ignorant about and refuses to even acknowledge. I argue with him and by extension you because you have ZERO facts on your side. You have no logic or reason. You pine for the some days in the past that didn't really exist simply because the method for creating additional content in the form of DLC did not exist and the drive for it did not exist. The rising cost of video games saw to this.

The better question is why do you feel you need to argue this? Do you feel like it will change because you and some demagogue on the internet has decided to champion a case that he really can't do anything about?