Looking for a specific type of multiplayer game...HELP!

So I am a gamer but I would say my knowledge of games that are "out there" is quite limited. Thanks to WoW and CoD, I've hardly had to even glance at other games. Now, however, I'm definately in the mood for a different sort of game. One I'm not sure even exists.

I am looking for a game that can be played by two people. A game that is a world that lives. I was thinking something like Animal Crossing but the thing with this game is that each player has his or her own home and others can "visit" but they can't share a home. Sims is another one, similar to what I'm looking for but still two different homes.

So essentially, I want a world that is shared between 2 people. Full control is in both players hands. A world that progressively gets better and better as long as you tend to it. I don't even know what type of game this would be classified as but if it doesn't exist, someone should certainly go make it. A couple game.

Deleted
    Animal Crossing DS + Friend code.

Two DSs + Animal Crossing DS

OR

Two Wiis + Animal Crossing: City Folk (optional voice chat via Wii Speak)
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Well, it might not be the genre you're looking for but Saints Row 2 & 3 have a nice co-op function that allows the players to explore the world on their own, and still play together when they want that. You also got the option of crafting MMO's that might be more like Animal Crossing - such as Wurm Online and Dawntide.

Minecraft ?
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Animal Crossing is probably your best bet. But you also can"t go wrong with terraria, its like 10 bucks on steam. I'v got something like 80 hours played on that game, all of them co-op.

The "Wizards 101" commercial keeps showing up on TV where you can run around with you family =P

Minecraft I guess. I don't know of much else that would fall under those requirements.

I've researched the games mentioned here. Minecraft's gfx really turn me off. Lol...

Essentially, i'm looking for a game where two people can advance together but not necessarily requiring both players to be playing at the same time.

Example:

Player 1: Goes on, does missions/quests/crafts (whatever it may be for this game). Rewards go towards both players.
    Player 1: Logs Off
    Player 2: Goes on, uses rewards to improve the house/neighborhood/vault (w.e).
    Player 1: Logs back on.
    Both Players: Do co-op things to get more rewards.

Something in which this kind of playing is possible? If this doesn't exist, go make it please.

P.S. The gfx don't need to be spectacularly but I just don't like the concept of minecraft.

Sounds like Xsyon would be a nice fit for you, a sandbox MMORPG where you can do whatever you want, basically if you wanted to play that with just 2 people you could start a tribe (guild), find a good place to set up a homestead then start working on that (it does take a lot of work and time to build however, but it's nice because the improvements are so noticable).
    There's a lot of crafting, terraforming terrain, gathering, planting/cutting down trees, hunting, etc, and you can do everything (game doesn't limit you to like max 2 crafting professions or anything).
    It's sort of "grindy" though and I wouldn't recommend playing it hardcore 15 hours a day because you would most likely get burned out really fast.
    But it's a nice sandbox to casually play once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshock View Post
    Well, it might not be the genre you're looking for but Saints Row 2 & 3 have a nice co-op function that allows the players to explore the world on their own, and still play together when they want that. You also got the option of crafting MMO's that might be more like Animal Crossing - such as Wurm Online and Dawntide.
    Dawntide isn't in developement anymore, and might not even start up again unless they find new funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ighox View Post
    Sounds like Xsyon would be a nice fit for you, a sandbox MMORPG where you can do whatever you want, basically if you wanted to play that with just 2 people you could start a tribe (guild), find a good place to set up a homestead then start working on that (it does take a lot of work and time to build however, but it's nice because the improvements are so noticable).
    There's a lot of crafting, terraforming terrain, gathering, planting/cutting down trees, hunting, etc, and you can do everything (game doesn't limit you to like max 2 crafting professions or anything).
    It's sort of "grindy" though and I wouldn't recommend playing it hardcore 15 hours a day because you would most likely get burned out really fast.
    But it's a nice sandbox to casually play once in a while.

Dawntide isn't in developement anymore, and might not even start up again unless they find new funding.
    Seems interesting. Will have to check it out.