Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hunter UI Guide Feedback

Hi all,
    I posted this in the Interface forum but haven't really had anything back on it. So I thought I'd put it to my fellow Hunters and see what they think!

Below is pretty much my original post =0)

I've finally decided to put myself out into the public domain with some vids. My first is a vid about my UI and I'd really appreciate some constructive critisim so I can hopefully make some better ones as I go on.

This is literally the first vid I've made that isn't a Kill vid or something random for guildies so please be gentle! lol

All constructive critisim is welcome but if you are just looking to mock or troll, please take it else where!

Thanks in advance.

cool video only thing i can say though is....15 minutes? really? that's expecting a lot from people to pay that much attention lol these days, good ui though, but could of shortened it to 5 min or something, most people have the attention span of a gnat these days, and if there isn't any good stuff (good action, hot chicks, something to keep them going) then rather just read about it.

just my 2 cents. Pretty good editing on the intro...then the rest is meh. i have never made a video so it looks like you put a bit of effort into this, i just couldn't be bothered watch the whole thing, only thing that caught my eye was the dots cooldown window in the intro, the box with the bars, that is kinda cool, all the rest of the addons i have tried over the years, didn't like them after awhile

I use bartender4, Xperl, and a few others, i dont care for those hud addons either, and i tried alternatives to bartender, i really tried to like some of the "popular" addons but i just couldn't, i am comfortable and like the ones i got, i spent 1 day just downloading like 40 addons from curse client, reading and attempting to config something different...and the result just wasn't what i expected...they also take a bit to configure, and with my setup, i can get myself going within 5 min from scratch on a new server if i wanted, and that's something that is important to me

i like tweak my addons but not with 5 pages of settings, and moving every little bar every little color and texture...just overkill on a lot of addons (ie hud addons or stuff like pitbull...an xperl alternative) i couldn't figure out Dominos (bartender alternative) and i've tried like every dot tracker addon under the sun, and 90% of them are just way to complicated or i didn't like.

Addons that i cant play without are: bartender4, bagnon and Xperl...beyond that rest of my addons are utility, like atlasloot, collectionator, akis recipe list, farming addons like gathermate2, routes, DBM (of course) and all that basic tools

So yeah in the end i tried complicated cool looking ui's but just way to much to configure and memory intensive, my computer is a pos and i dont like sitting at loading bar for 3 min cuz i got 60 addons running just to look at my ui, i try to keep the basics and minimum, and i am more than happy with bartender/xperl

i have about 160 addons total, for all sorts of purposes and classes i play but i dont use them all at same time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Brilliant video it really was, some good points and enjoyed watching it. Good job mate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Urza29 View Post
    cool video only thing i can say though is....15 minutes? really? that's expecting a lot from people to pay that much attention lol these days, good ui though, but could of shortened it to 5 min or something, most people have the attention span of a gnat these days, and if there isn't any good stuff (good action, hot chicks, something to keep them going) then rather just read about it.
    Not to be like that but if people don't have the attention to watch a 15 min movie when they are looking for information about it then they most likely isn't the target audience in this case. And then you go on and talk about how you self don't have the attention to config addons ^^

And setting up a UI that takes a hour or two you can easily make it very very functional with the all the "5 pages of configuration" and colors.

Ontopic, Good video and somethings that is kinda universal for all specs and classes so good video to watch even if you are not a hunter but even better if you are

Thanks for the feedback guys! =0)

The length of the vid was abit of a concern when I was making it. I thought about splitting it into 2 parts to make it more palateable but wanted to see how it would go down as a single entity.

The video is good, but your UI has very small elements. Maybe I'm getting old and my eyesight is failing, but my serenity bar is like, double the thickness (that's what she said), my enemy cast bar is huge, and even my own cast bar is much bigger.

Your eyesight must be astounding. Or I might be blind. I also use TellMeWhen and NeedToKnow for CDs and durations on things, including ICDs like you're using on ExtraCD (holy hell those are small elements). The idea of keeping track of my CDs on the Serenity Bar makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

I like BigWigs more, personally, because it's more stylized. One thing you might want to do is explain how Omen replaces Recount: I imagine you have them both in the same place, it's just that Omen is set to combat only and merely covers up Recount, but people setting up a UI might be confused by that.

tl;dr I need glasses.

Good point. I didn't really cover that part. They occupy the same place but recount only shows out of combat and omen only shows when in combat so they basically replace one another.

As for all the small elements, I have a 23inch screen that I sit relativly close to it so they're pretty good to me. I've actually done a little more tweaking since I server transfered and some bits are even smaller now lol.

Thanks for the feedback though!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey m8 plz can you tell me which addon you use for scroll combat text???

Thx !!!

P.S. great UI and video

He said it in the video, it's MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Combat Text).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He said it in the video, it's MSBT (Mik's Scrolling Combat Text).
    Oh did not notice Thx anyway !!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest with you: I'm considering trying to copy your UI, because I liked the cleanliness of it.

Also nice vid, you speak clearly (many forget this when making voiceovers), and you play the wrong elf.

Could you just PM me quickly what addons you have? Or, just add it in the description on YT, since more people may want to know :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you use skinner to change the look of your target,player, target of target, focus frames as I have and have had Shadowed Unit Frames for a while without a look like anything close to yours.

---------- Post added 2012-02-24 at 08:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    The video is good, but your UI has very small elements. Maybe I'm getting old and my eyesight is failing, but my serenity bar is like, double the thickness (that's what she said), my enemy cast bar is huge, and even my own cast bar is much bigger.

Your eyesight must be astounding. Or I might be blind. I also use TellMeWhen and NeedToKnow for CDs and durations on things, including ICDs like you're using on ExtraCD (holy hell those are small elements). The idea of keeping track of my CDs on the Serenity Bar makes my head hurt just thinking about it.

I like BigWigs more, personally, because it's more stylized. One thing you might want to do is explain how Omen replaces Recount: I imagine you have them both in the same place, it's just that Omen is set to combat only and merely covers up Recount, but people setting up a UI might be confused by that.

tl;dr I need glasses.
    You can enlarge the icon size to make it easier to read.

@Calzaeth: There is a list of the add-ons i use at the end of the vid. I`ll PM them to you when i get in from work just incase I`ve missed anything though! And whats wrong with my elf!?! :-P

@ Fedex: I dont use any skinners for SUF. It may be where ive played around with the borders and colours. Its amazing what a simple lowering of colour brightness and a change or bar texture can do. Just have a play around with one of the frames. Once you find something you like just copy all the settinga to the other frames.
    If your not sure how to do any of that just fire me a pm and I'll try and help you out!

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome UI and awesome vid! You've made given me the urge to create my own UI again!

Deleted
    Great job chief, that's a lot of time and effort right there.

Ever considered using a Viewport to move almost everything from your FoV?

I'm actually thinking of switching to Elvui, but I'm scared it'll have compatibility issues with some of its elements and other addons I want to keep. I mean, I need bartender, 10 bars (6 of them hidden) is where it's at. ElvUI has FIVE. That's a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlaena View Post
    Great job chief, that's a lot of time and effort right there.

Ever considered using a Viewport to move almost everything from your FoV?
    If you look at some of my early screenshots you'll see I had a time where I experimented with Sunn. Even though you can adjust your view space I found having a bar running across the bottom of my screen abit intrusive. I also always felt like I had to fill the empty space with something or I would be wasting it all. This pretty much led me on to KG Panels. I wanted something that I could use to border my add-ons without losing a massive chunk of my viewing space. It's not the most user friendly of add-ons but once you figure it out it's pretty sweet.

Plus I didn't like my game looking 'squished'!

Edit - Forgot to say thanks for the feedback =0)

@Esch: From seeing vids of Elvui it seems as though the elements are just as small as mine so may not be the best of choices.
    Last edited by XanderJS; 2012-02-25 at 07:02 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XanderJS View Post
    Plus I didn't like my game looking 'squished'!
    Yep it took me a while to get used to it. IMO its really worth the patience though, and you will get used to it eventually. Looking at your old ones they are the really thick (default) size, which can be a really weird squash. I use a much thinner and more discrete bar that pushes things up only slightly, but lets me discard everything I don't need from my FoV.

Just look at the extra FoV you get:

I'm reluctant to move away from NeedToKnow, but I like your ICD addon and will give it a try!

Looks good mate. I'd still feel the need to fill up that space at the bottom though as I'd feel very much like I'm wasting it.

I've never been too keen on what I like to call 'floating' UI's. That meaning that there are lots of different UI elements seemingly unconnected to everything else and 'floating' around the screen. Looking at where you have all of you elements it doesn't seem as though your benefiting from having the bar at the bottom as there are elements still in the middle of the screen.

If we compared the two of ours we would probably find our UI elements occupy the same amount of space from the bottom of the screen to the character with the exception of there being more of an empty gap between the UI elements and the bottom itself.

I'm liking the borders and general style of yours, are those ElvUI textures and fonts etc?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XanderJS View Post
    Looks good mate. I'd still feel the need to fill up that space at the bottom though as I'd feel very much like I'm wasting it.

I've never been too keen on what I like to call 'floating' UI's. That meaning that there are lots of different UI elements seemingly unconnected to everything else and 'floating' around the screen. Looking at where you have all of you elements it doesn't seem as though your benefiting from having the bar at the bottom as there are elements still in the middle of the screen.

If we compared the two of ours we would probably find our UI elements occupy the same amount of space from the bottom of the screen to the character with the exception of there being more of an empty gap between the UI elements and the bottom itself.

I'm liking the borders and general style of yours, are those ElvUI textures and fonts etc?
    The styles are custom KGPanels and oUF ... took me FOREVER to build.

In terms of percentage coverage, yours probably takes up 400-500% more of your field than mine does. And most of my space here is target debuffs, which I usually don't have turned on. Your UI is nice, I'm just throwing a few ideas in.