Deleted

What country in Europe spends most of it's GDP on military?

As the title says, do you know what country in Europe spends most of it's GDP on it's military?

The answer is Greece, and by a fairly big margin even (3.2%, well before the #2 on the list, the UK with 2.7% and almost 50% higher than the world average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_expenditures

I'll just leave that fact here for you lot to deem if this makes any sense what so ever given their current "Oh everyone is so mean to us, making us make budget cuts instead of handing over more loans to us!"

15+ Year Old Account
    So.. What's the discussion?

Deleted
    Iceland has the lowest and they almost went bankrupt not to long ago...
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-03-02 at 11:39 PM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe they're having to do so, from germany..? i'm not fully at home in this, but i can recall something like this
    Lokann ogar!
    /brofist
    lotharion: "inserting the Lich King as a scooby doo villain didn't exactly make him scary in the slightest."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    So.. What's the discussion?
    To deem if this makes any sense...

Deleted
    have fun paying for their army, EU citizens... :P

Quote Originally Posted by bregtann View Post
    I'll just leave that fact here for you lot to deem if this makes any sense what so ever
    Sense? Are you saying this is madness?

This is sparta.

Deleted
    I never seen that list before, well i never thought of looking it up in all honesty-

So are these yearly figures? Sorry little off topic here - So the US spends 687,105,000,000 <- is that number a year? I don't even know what that number is?

And the whole world spends 1,546,529,200,000 <- this number every year!!!! this is absence, isn't really time we all grow up and stopped fighting and spend that money on things that help this little little planet we live on, instead of spending it on things that try and kill each other -

Imagine what this number -> 1,546,529,200,000 spend wisely around the world could really do - massive amounts of health care for poverty stricken countries - then maybe spend the rest on space exploration - may sound silly, I don't understand, maybe its war and weapons are the things that progress us, and will continue until everyone is dead, most of written history has been about epic battles lost and won from every cultured.

Deleted
    Greece has an army? Interesting. A surprisingly expensive army for its size aswell. But given their close proximity to the Balkans, and their ongoing territorial dispute with Turkey, it makes some sense.

Deleted
    Greece does not need an army to please cyprus, only the max points in Eurovision matters.

At the moment, Turkey is laughing its ass off @ Greece. So is every other country in the balkan that has strong connections with Turkey.
    Imo, an army doesn't make your country strong, a good leader-general is.

15+ Year Old Account
    Greece's army is pretty pointless.

While they do have the military equipment to make war with the closest threats like Turkey (see Cyprus), they are in no way capable to support a long lasting war. In this time and age where bankers and stock brokers rule the economy with fear and speculation, any act of war committed by or against Greece would result in bankruptcy thomorow.

Greece should stop all military spending and try to get the same deal Iceland got, but with the EU. And i don't think they would have any problems getting such a deal, Greek soil (Souda bay Islands to be exact) is in a good position to the middle-east, as was an obvious advantage for the Nato's air-force coalition in the 2011 Libyan civil war.

FYI: Iceland's is protected primarily by Norway, Denmark and USA and is spending virtually nothing on the military.
    Last edited by kailtas; 2012-03-03 at 01:18 AM.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

ALL of their spending is out of control. I don't think this says much of anything about their debt situation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MorTvicR View Post
    So are these yearly figures? Sorry little off topic here - So the US spends 687,105,000,000 <- is that number a year? I don't even know what that number is?
    Yes, that's yearly. It's about $687 billion, but that's an estimate. For one, the Pentagon does not have a functional accounting system. Two, the figure probably excludes some posts. Nuclear weapons, operations in Afghanistan and some misc defense-related spending are often counted seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by therealpeni View Post
    maybe they're having to do so, from germany..? i'm not fully at home in this, but i can recall something like this
    They bought some stuff from Germany, while talk of the first bail-out was going on, I think.

But the idea that Germany *forced* Greece to spend so much on defense is ludicrous.

If I offer to sell you something, that does not *force* you to buy. Except if you're Greek.