Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for all the amazing responses!

I do have a question: If the dog is groomed twice a week and trimmed/washed every 3 months would that not minimize the shedding of any dog including Siberian Huskies?

Also I have looked at FURminator for grooming any one knows if it's pain free for the animal?

Also I have read on and also saw this video about stopping Dog shedding and I was wondering how tru this video was?

Thank you!
    Case: Thermaltake A60
    MB: ASRock Z68 Ext3 Gen3
    CPU: i5 2500k, Windows 8.1 64 Bit
    GPU: HIS 6870 1gb
    PSU: Corsair GS 600
    SSD: Crucial M4 128g

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel25 View Post

I do have a question: If the dog is groomed twice a week and trimmed/washed every 3 months would that not minimize the shedding of any dog including Siberian Huskies?

Also I have looked at FURminator for grooming any one knows if it's pain free for the animal?

Also I have read on and also saw this video about stopping Dog shedding and I was wondering how tru this video was?

Thank you!
    A lot of people swear by raw food diets for dogs, unfortunately I can't help you in that department, but I do agree that a high quality diet can make a difference for your dog. Right now I feed my German Shedder blue wilderness. We switch her onto it because she was always scratching and she had rashes on her stomach. Ever since we switched her skin has cleared up and her coat is glossy. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in shedding, but that's probably because I already brush her daily outside and I also vacuum every day as well so the hair isn't all over the place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    While I certainly support rescuing homeless animals, the above information is not true everywhere. I know the local humane society here most definitely is still a kill shelter and I'm fairly confident there are still others as well. Rescue groups are no-kill and often will get their animals from the humane society but all Humane Societies are definitely not no-kill yet.

Also I would highly recommend talking with your veterinarian about the right time to spay/neuter your pet rather than listening to the propaganda from the humane society. Altering an 8 week old puppy or kitten can have detrimental affects on its health later in life though many shelters would have you believe otherwise. I strongly believe in spaying/neutering your pet if you are not showing or breeding it but do your homework on when the right time is.
    Yeah, the Animal Shelter in Houston takes in 100 dogs per day, and they absolutely do have to euthanize some portion of them, unless they get adopted. I adopted my cat from there, and I'm pretty sure she fell in love with me instantly for taking her away from that shelter.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Um- my Labrador also sheds like crazy almost all year...

Sorry but honestly this is your question when it comes to getting a dog? I don't mean to sound demeaning but you do not all dogs are the same right? I don't mean to sound demeaning but a lot of people seem to have this attitude that dogs are like stuffed animals. This just seems like it should be so far down the list of questions to me for anyone who should actually be a dog owner.
    There are some individuals out of every breed that will differ greatly but you really should research the breed you wish to own and consider what your life looks like. I just hope you won't be so stupid as to get a Siberian Husky because they shed less hair than others then have it attack because you only have time to walk it 30 minutes a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    All dogs shed hair and all of them need grooming and washing, but a husky will definetly shed the most of those three.

My father has a golden retriever and he barely leaves any hair at all.
    Not all dogs shed. Terriers don't. We had a Wheaten Terrier for 13 years, and she never shed a hair, which was great if we had a friend who was allergic.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimesis View Post
    Sorry but honestly this is your question when it comes to getting a dog? I don't mean to sound demeaning but you do not all dogs are the same right? I don't mean to sound demeaning but a lot of people seem to have this attitude that dogs are like stuffed animals. This just seems like it should be so far down the list of questions to me for anyone who should actually be a dog owner.
    There are some individuals out of every breed that will differ greatly but you really should research the breed you wish to own and consider what your life looks like. I just hope you won't be so stupid as to get a Siberian Husky because they shed less hair than others then have it attack because you only have time to walk it 30 minutes a day.
    No I won't be getting a Siberian Husky because it sheds less hair, My sister likes them all, and she was unsure and wanted maybe to answer some questions about shedding, even tho that would be the least of a problem. I just wanted to hear from owners what's it like, that's all. Didn't mean to offend you! lol

(We have research a great deal of information about all three breeds)

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 09:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mowgles View Post
    Also, sort of random.. but if we're sharing ways to get hair out of the house, I acquired the most amazing hand-me-down vacuum ever called a "Rainbow". It looks like it's about 20-30 years old and it still works perfectly. I have two mixed breed dogs (a terrier mix and a beagle mix) and I vacuum about once a week and pick up about 2-3 cups of wet hair from our tiny apartment. I say wet because you have to fill it with water instead of a vacuum bag, which is also REALLY affective with drowning fleas and flea eggs.

Anywho, that'll help with hair if you have carpets, just look for a cheap one from a garage sale because new ones go for 2-3 grand. These things last forever.
    We used to have a Rainbow too and yes it was amazing! It lasted for about 12 years, and now we recently bought an Electrolux, which is pretty good too!
    Last edited by Angel25; 2012-03-02 at 09:54 PM.

No I won't be getting a Siberian Husky because it sheds less hair, My sister likes them all, and she was unsure and wanted maybe to answer some questions about shedding, even tho that would be the least of a problem. I just wanted to hear from owners what's it like, that's all. Didn't mean to offend you! lol
    Sorry it's just that I've grown up with dogs my entire life since my father was a hunter and I've seen so many people destroy dogs due to stupidity (although some through malice :P). But growing up with them I know what they can be and since they're entirely dependent on their masters it's just a bit loathsome to see ruined dogs since it reflects some of the worst in human nature and human weakness. It was nothing personal, just that so much waste stems from lack of even basic reflection.

Thank you!
    Grooming will minimize the amount of fur on your carpet, clothes, etc and keep the dog's hair from getting matted. It will not reduce the amount of fur the dog sheds as shedding is a normal, healthy function of the body. Like I said in a previous post, human beings lose about 100 hairs a day so it's not limited to dogs. Like another poster said, feeding a quality food (whether raw, homecooked, or a good brand) will help the skin and coat be healthier but you cannot eliminate all shedding.

As for the furminator, I've seen the videos and dont see a whole lot of difference in it and a regular grooming rake. I use a rake and a wire type brush with my German Shepherd and a rubber Kong brush on my Bulldog and they get the job done for me. Dont look for the easy way out when it comes to taking care of a dog. Grooming is not only good for the dog's skin and coat but for your bond with him.

From my experience Labs shed the least out of the 3 types the Op mentioned, however given their size they still shed enough hair on a weekly basis to be the equivalent of a hairy man shaving his entire body.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mimesis View Post
    Sorry it's just that I've grown up with dogs my entire life since my father was a hunter and I've seen so many people destroy dogs due to stupidity (although some through malice :P). But growing up with them I know what they can be and since they're entirely dependent on their masters it's just a bit loathsome to see ruined dogs since it reflects some of the worst in human nature and human weakness. It was nothing personal, just that so much waste stems from lack of even basic reflection.
    Between my Parents and my Grandparents we have had:

2 German Sheperds
    Samoyed
    Keshond
    3 Toy poodles
    Shih Poo

We just found it odd that the stories were so diferent from our own. Out off the breeds I mentioned the Keeshon was one that would shed the most, but it wasn't that big of a deal, and since (The Labrador, Golden and Siberian Husky) seem to be the most that shed I wanted to see if the stories were true or not.

I agree people can be cruel to there pets, but in my family we were taught that dogs eat first and the us! ( My grandfather taught us that!)

We use a furminator and it is safe if you use it correctly. It should never be pushed down with a lot of pressure, that'll irritate the skin.

Also, if you want to know about raw diets, give me a PM. I have been feeding a do-it-yourself prey model raw diet to 2 dogs for 2 years now. The results are fantastic and unbeatable, but the diet takes a lot of research.

Edit: misread the thing about diet. A raw food diet will not stop shedding, no way no how.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mowgles View Post
    We use a furminator and it is safe if you use it correctly. It should never be pushed down with a lot of pressure, that'll irritate the skin.

Also, if you want to know about raw diets, give me a PM. I have been feeding a do-it-yourself prey model raw diet to 2 dogs for 2 years now. The results are fantastic and unbeatable, but the diet takes a lot of research.

Edit: misread the thing about diet. A raw food diet will not stop shedding, no way no how.
    Thanks, but I like Blue Buffalo and Eagle Pack!

Thanks, but I like Blue Buffalo and Eagle Pack!
    Eagle Pack is good stuff, not a huge fan of Blue Buffalo. You should check out Taste of the Wild (grain free) also.

We have had Spaniels and Goldens for about 30 years. The furminator works great for them both. The goldens are always shedding and it is even mre pronounced in the spring when they are dropping their winter coats. Goldens are the friendliest dogs I have had the privilege of owning and I know labs are very friendly as well. I have heard Huskies are very hyper dogs but I do not know for certain.

I second Taste of the Wild, we feed it to our cat. It's the cheapest (in price, not quality!) grain-free food on the market and its company has a great reputation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    DO NOT get a husky if you're concerned about shedding. Dear god no.
    Agree. I have a Siberian Husky and she sheds like crazy.. there are special brushes to kinda even the coat out, but yeah, if shedding is a concern then a S.Husky is definitely not the dog for you

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got a Beagle (about the same hair length as a Labrador) and she usually sheds alot of hair about twice a year: When it starts getting cold and when it starts getting warm again. Other than that, there's not much hair to clean up.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"