10+ Year Old Account

When have you been surprised by how other people have acted?

Have you encountered any situation where you were surprised how someone has acted? whether pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised
    Share them here! i would love to hear about em

Okay, so here is mine:

So today i was having an absolutely horrid day at work, and I went to do the deliveries, and wouldn't you know it, my car stalls, and the battery dies, while on a busy highway, practically in the middle of the day

So its boiling hot, I'm starving as I hadn't had lunch yet, and now the car won't turn on.

My first though is: "No problems, this is why i have roadside assistance!", So i ring em up, and long story short, since I'm in a work car, and not my own, they cant do squat for me and i have to go through my business' roadside assistance, so now I'm getting quite annoyed but i figure, fair enough, i ring up my boss, turns out we aren't signed up for any roadside assistance, Oh Boy!

So my next option then was to walk to the nearest car parts store, and buy a spare battery and jumper leads, and just jump start my car that way

A short while later, After having bought said battery and cables. I jump start my car and all is going well, however at this point the heat and my hunger taking their toll

So, In the car now, i start driving off, keeping in mind I was on the side of the road at the moment so i don't obstruct traffic and annoy people, i drive about 2 meters forward, and wouldnt you know it? i get bogged in the danged sand.

After spending a good minute or two thrashing around my car in a hysterical delusional rage, I get out and proceed to try anything i can to unbog my car, all of which is in vain, so then I ring up my boss again, and long story short, he cant help me, and just about everyone i ring up, is either busy, or unable to help

Its at this point that I am pacing around my car, talking on the phone, and getting extremely agitated. Then someone in a truck pulled up in front of me and offered to tow me out of my little situation, given the kind of day I have had, I was quite shocked and extremely grateful for his assistance

To put this in a little more context, where I live, people on the road are EXTREMELY aggressive and rude, merging lanes alone is horrifying sometimes

10+ Year Old Account
    This last weekend my mom drove up from Louisville to Chicago for an event. On the way there she fell asleep at the wheel and drove into the guardrail, totalling her car. The people behind her stopped -- turned out they were also from Louisville and also driving to Chicago. They got all the stuff out of her car, drove her up to Chicago, carried all of her stuff in for her then tried to refuse when she tried to give them some money for tolls, gas, and saving her butt.

Made me glad to hear that there are some good folks still out there.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

Screwed up with a girl once. Happens right. Weirdly enough, on the next occasion when I saw here, one of my best friends chose her side and started bashing me with her and some other mutual friends. Was completely shocked about it.

Might not seem special, but to have one of your better friends turn on you like that without any previous warning... Just fucked up my week back then.

The last time when I was genuinely surprised by the way someone acted was while I was working at a pet shop a few years ago. Some guy came in and just started picking up stuff form the selves (nothing living, though, just lots and lots of glass) and breaking it on the ground and making lots of noise, while I just stood there watching in in a ocmbination of amusement and bewilderment. I had no idea how to respond to such a crazy person randomly showing up at my workplace in the middle of the day.

Eventually he left and was stopped by security on his way out.

I never got to know what it was about. Maybe he was just crazy.

But by now I've seen so much crazy nonsense, and I'm such a cynical guy, that I'm rarely genuinely surprised. I'm sure I will be as soon as something unexpected comes along again, though... sort of by definition, I guess.

was driving my car once heading to a guitar lesson.. and as it was a piece of shit.. it stalled so i parked it on the side of the road and got out.. walked about 50 feet and all of a sudden some dude pulls up in a car and asks if i need a lift... im like.. sure.. so the guy drives me 2 miles to my lesson.. complete stranger... lol..

another time my car stalled again and these 4 young teens hopped out of a nearby car and offered to push it wherever ...luckily work was close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    The last time when I was genuinely surprised by the way someone acted was while I was working at a pet shop a few years ago. Some guy came in and just started picking up stuff form the selves (nothing living, though, just lots and lots of glass) and breaking it on the ground and making lots of noise, while I just stood there watching in in a ocmbination of amusement and bewilderment. I had no idea how to respond to such a crazy person randomly showing up at my workplace in the middle of the day.

Eventually he left and was stopped by security on his way out.

I never got to know what it was about. Maybe he was just crazy.

But by now I've seen so much crazy nonsense, and I'm such a cynical guy, that I'm rarely genuinely surprised. I'm sure I will be as soon as something unexpected comes along again, though... sort of by definition, I guess.
    damnit now you have me curious too!

Working at a pet store myself, I have met some surprising folk a few years ago! One woman had a couple dozen dog toys that she plopped onto my counter, and wanted me to check every single tag and if it was made in china, she didn't want to buy it. I was shocked that this woman would rather make everyone else in line wait then check them her damn self! Turns out, every single toy was made in china and she walked out with nothing. Every customer waiting behind her gave me a piece of their mind! My guess is she was trying to make a point in front of everyone that we should buy american, but she only came off as crazy!

Then there was a man who left a folder behind on accident filled with dog training information. I set it aside for him, and about an hour later he came back, I recognized him and without hesitation handed him the folder, and he literally got down on one knee, grabbed my hand, kissed it in front of all my co-workers, and called me an angel, then left. Weirdest day of my life.

You couldn't have stopped at a nearby shop to get some food and cold water?

The tow truck dude could have stopped by just because its his job. He was there to make a buck. Your viewpoint is clouded because you had a crappy day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

The tow truck dude could have stopped by just because its his job. He was there to make a buck. Your viewpoint is clouded because you had a crappy day.
    Possibly, but it wasnt a tow truck, it was an ordinary truck, and the guy happened to have a tow cable, he didnt charge me or anything, and there were no nearby lunch bars or restaurants or whatnot nearby, it was all just retail shops, and aggrovatingly, none i went into sold drinks

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

Some people are just itching to flame.

Your viewpoint is clouded because you had a crappy day.
    Last edited by Letholdus; 2012-03-03 at 10:30 AM.