Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Notch Gives $3 Million to Mojang Employees

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/4...ang-employees/

According to Wikipedia Mojang has 25 employes so that means they get 120k each, way to go Notch! Also kind of funny that this comes out right after the "Blizzard lays off 600 employees" story :P

It just doesn't wanna get in my head what's funny about 600 people being fired. On another hand, a lot of companies give out extra dividends to their employees currently. Among these are companies which fired a lot of their employees or forced them into short-time work due to the financial crisis before that.

Nice for Mojang's employees since its a dividend people can only dream of, though I don't really see their 100 million revenue reaching their respective projects. Oh well, Notch did fly with a private jet to Minecon, but that's a whole other matter right^^
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Deleted
    I don't think everyone will get equal share, but still nice money, way over usual extra money in other companies.

Phew, i wouldna mind a piece of that.
    Profit sharing is always a nice thing to keep up employee morale though.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr View Post
    Phew, i wouldna mind a piece of that.
    Profit sharing is always a nice thing to keep up employee morale though.

Considering you could buy a house with that shared profit, I'd kiss Notch's ass for my lifetime.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flextt View Post
    Considering you could buy a house with that shared profit, I'd kiss Notch's ass for my lifetime.
    That very much depends on where you want to buy a house, I seriously doubt you can get an apartment for twice that in stockholm

So where is my money. Been beta testing this game since forever

Quote Originally Posted by Flextt View Post
    no... you can't, not in Sweden, and especially not in sthlm

a normal "out in the bush" (not close to town that is) goes for 1-3 million sek (1 million sek ~ 150000 dollars)

an apartment in sthlm is prob more like 3-5 millions (own one, big enough for a family)
    there is no good signatures with so little signature space - Nivius

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    So where is my money. Been beta testing this game since forever
    You freely play the game, there is no reason he needs to pay you.

You could always apply for a job there.

(scroll all the way to the bottom)
    http://notch.tumblr.com/
    December 9th 2011
    We’re hiring. You should work here.
    We’re expanding!

Exciting new projects, a very successful first year, and a much bigger new office means we’re going to grow into a slightly larger company. Right now we’re about 12-15 people, depending on how you count, and we want to grow to “a bit larger”.

To apply for a job, go here:
    https://docs.google.com/a/mojang.com...dtbnc6MQ#gid=0
    (Note that we’re only looking for developers at this point)

Here are the top five reasons you should work at Mojang:

5) We’re less serious than many other companies. We rely on having a pool of talent rather than long discussions, and make decisions very organically and spontaneously.

4) We encourage people at Mojang to speak publicly about what they do and have a personal connection with the players.

3) Tobias Möllstam

2) We have mandatory gaming Friday afternoons. Working after lunch on Fridays is frowned upon.

1) Mojang’s mission statement is “Mojang shall be the most influential indie game development studio on Earth”, and we intend to live up to that. I kid you not.

On topic, I doubt that the funds were evenly distributed.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

buying a house from around 100k dollars? that would never be sufficient in switzerland :P
    maybe i should move to thailand...

Quote Originally Posted by Nivius View Post

a normal "out in the bush" (not close to town that is) goes for 1-3 million sek (1 million sek ~ 150000 dollars)

an apartment in sthlm is prob more like 3-5 millions (own one, big enough for a family)
    But with that amount of capital you own you will be able to pay it off rather quickly or get good conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivius View Post

That depends on the size, of course. If it's for you and the family, yeah you're probably looking at something in that range.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

10+ Year Old Account
    He just went up a Notch in my book after this.
    | Happiness is the best revenge |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongler View Post
    He just went up a Notch in my book after this.
    I see what you did there

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guenhwyvaria View Post
    "Blizzard lays off 600 employees" story :P

This is the same thing that got the other one closed. Why even bring blizzard into this?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    This is the same thing that got the other one closed. Why even bring blizzard into this?
    It's an irritating passive-aggressive comment, but so far the thread has been fairly clean of a company flame war. I don't think it needs closing just yet.

That's such a nice thing to do in this time and age. Hopefully that money boosts moral and they keep pumping out awesome games

I love Notch, he clearly reached a magic number and thought "Great this is all the money I'll ever need, let's do cool stuff with the rest".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    To be fair... Notch doesnt rlly do much anymore, hes what I would very very loosely term a playboy. After he got rich he pretty much left Minecraft to Jeb lol, so I think its only fair.
    And Jeb's definitely the better man; whether Notch stepped down because he realized that, or because he just didn't care anymore, I don't know.

Still, it's a credit to his personality that he's willing to sacrifice that much money, even if he's already worth a lot. Notch still ain't one of my favorite people but this sure doesn't hurt him in my book.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

thats alot of money! If i had as much money as he did i would donate it or like he did give to friends family or people who work for you.