Poll: Is a Student-Teacher love affair OK?

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    The legality here is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. When I put my daughter in a high school I expect the teachers there not to be hitting on her, and if she's hitting on them I expect them to behave professionally and stop it before anything happens.
    Exactly so, and ditto when it comes to my son. Like I said, gender is not an issue here (and double standards piss me off anyway). It's about doing your job in a professional and ethical manner.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

You forgot the option "It's only ok if shes female AND hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    Count me in the 'never OK' camp. Teachers are by their very nature in a position of power and authority. Even if the kid is 18 and technically an adult, as long as they're still a student, any teacher has some degree of potential power over their academic future. The fact that the _possibility_ exists to abuse that power makes these 'reationships' extremely unethical. And no, gender doesn't enter into it - the teacher, as a grown and educated adult, has a responsibility to control himself or herself and do the right thing.

Now, once the kid's graduated or moved on to a different school where they're no longer associating with that teacher in any educational setting? Have at it.
    Well, the story said he resigned from his job, so I assume he's no longer her teacher. Though, it also said that the woman left the school and is doing independent study, so...

15+ Year Old Account
    To everyone saying they're astonished/offended/ect. by anyone thinking this type of thing is only okay if the teacher is female, keep this in mind.

You're talking about the majority of your voting base being males ages 16-25.

In other words, guys who wish/want to/ect. have this sort of relationship with their teacher, but obviously don't want peers their age group (or close to it) having the same relationships with male teachers, as that then removes them from the potential mating pool.

I did not vote because I have mixed emotions based more on the OP's story.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

15+ Year Old Account
    The fact he left his own child and wife for that girl disturbs me more then the fact he as a 41 male is having a relationship with a 18 year old
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

I noticed the article went on and on about the older guy. But as the saying says...

"It takes two to tango."

If she wants to be in a relationship with an older man, and she's of legal age, it's her concern and no one else's. Don't really get people's obsession with older x younger relationships regardless of gender.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEX View Post
    If she wants to be in a relationship with an older man, and she's of legal age, it's her concern and no one else's. Don't really get people's obsession with older x younger relationships regardless of gender.
    Well to me it's not so much the older/younger thing as it is the student/teacher thing that creeps me out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    That is completely and utterly sexist. I cant believe you people are even saying that. What is wrong with you?
    It's the double-standard we live with these days unfortunately. If it's an older man involved with a barely legal woman, he's crucified by peers as a predatory creep, but when the genders are reversed and it's an older woman with a young man, she's pitied as someone who's lonely, neglected, and not right in the head.

I personally don't care about the age gap, but I am revolted by the fact that he's abandoning his family. A creep is a creep, regardless of gender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Well to me it's not so much the older/younger thing as it is the student/teacher thing that creeps me out.

You never had the hots for a teacher? I know I did.

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 08:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    It's the double-standard we live with these days unfortunately. If it's an older man involved with a barely legal woman, he's crucified by peers as a predatory creep, but when the genders are reversed and it's an older woman with a young man, she's pitied as someone who's lonely, neglected, and not right in the head.

I personally don't care about the age gap, but I am revolted by the fact that he's abandoning his family. A creep is a creep, regardless of gender.

Agreed. If the article wanted to inflame people it should've focused on him leaving his family.

Also agree on the gender double standard. People seem to willing to let women get away with anything. I think I remember a thread about 2 girls bullying a younger boy and people seemed more interested in calling the kid a wimp as opposed to talking down bout the two girls.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Don't worry, people voted just for the lolz.
    50 people voted for the lulz?
    Hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    In other words, guys who wish/want to/ect. have this sort of relationship with their teacher, but obviously don't want peers their age group (or close to it) having the same relationships with male teachers, as that then removes them from the potential mating pool.
    Seems more likely.
    A lot of people think with their "second brain" when it comes to such questions.
    "OMG hot teacher, do want LOLZ!!11"

The sexism is strong with this poll.

Female teacher: It's fine.
    Male teacher: Sick perverted child molesting freak!

Deleted
    There is a MAJOR double standard for these things. I mean when a male teacher has an affair with a female student it's a huge problem but when male students have affairs with female teachers comment its like boys will be boys...

I had a hot female French teacher in high school, I took Spanish so I never had her as my own personal instructor. And while, at the time, I would have banged her in an instant, I can realize now, more than a decade later, that this would have been an abusive relationship on her part (despite her being single and in her 30s).

Positions of authority over people make relationships complicated. It's why companies have no-dating policies between employees and supervisors, even though that's legal. It's why the teacher-student relationship paradigm has even more stigma associated with it - because not only is he in a position of power over her, but she's a minor when this relationship started. I don't care if he's a 41 year old teacher and he meets an 18 year old at a bar and strikes up a relationship. I don't care if he's a college professor and she's a 20 year old co-ed, as long as she didn't take his classes or have any affect on her grades. But high school teacher and student is wrong, even if he didn't teach her (which he did), and even if they didn't have sex til she was 18 (which I'm thinking they probably did, even though they say they didn't.)

10+ Year Old Account
    she's 18

if she wants to suck on some wrinkly old balls and doesn't have a problem w/ it, good for her

Of course, this only looks bad on the old guy, because it makes him look like he is a morally reprehensible cradle robbing pedophile. Which, I personally wouldn't put past him.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    The legality here is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. When I put my daughter in a high school I expect the teachers there not to be hitting on her, and if she's hitting on them I expect them to behave professionally and stop it before anything happens.
    As I intimated previously, the second part of this statement is severely misunderstood. There is a clear biological drive for women to seek men who can provide, and middle/high school is the time when biological processes (hormones) most dominate our ability to make decisions. The belief that the older man always initiates these relationships is severely misinformed.

That being said, these two have clearly made a bad decision. She chose a man who made just about every bad decision he could make in the process of leaving his family. There he is in a picture smiling with his new partner, blissfully inconsiderate of the fact that his children are certainly going to see that.

Anyway, I digress. Large age gaps in relationships are fine, once both parties are fully developed adults, but this is clearly not the case. Teachers, or any other authority figures should not be with those under their supervision. If it happens at a later date, no problem. people are entitled to an occasional slip up, but thsi situation didn't result from a slight indiscretion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    The outrage over this 41-year-old teacher, I get that. Completely. It's creepy. But hear my whole thing. Do we consider someone an adult at 18 or do we not? Either we do or we don't. Did he brainwash her in her immature 17th year, so she's really not able to make her own decisions in her 18th year? The whole thing has me divided.

/duck and cover
    I have to agree. It's an odd situation and some more information would be appreciated, but, as it is, it's fine considering that she is 18 and legally an adult.

Also, it would be just as weird if the genders were switched. Anybody saying otherwise just come off as sexist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eDGe87 View Post
    Well that's cool and all, but when he's 60 with saggy balls she will be 37 and maybe still hot. Awkward.
    This is mostly true but clearly she likes old guys which is a little weird but not wrong.

the text message part I don't get though 8000 isn't exactly alot I average 4000 a month to a single person. And that has been consistent for the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    50 people voted for the lulz?
    Hard to believe.

Seems more likely.
    A lot of people think with their "second brain" when it comes to such questions.
    "OMG hot teacher, do want LOLZ!!11"
    In my experience we all think with our second brain all the time. Some of us just know when it is making bad decisions. That goes for women too, there's just a lot more social stigma attached to their stupid sexual decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    To everyone saying they're astonished/offended/ect. by anyone thinking this type of thing is only okay if the teacher is female, keep this in mind.

You're talking about the majority of your voting base being males ages 16-25.

I did not vote because I have mixed emotions based more on the OP's story.
    Okay Freud. Or it's because for most young men sex is just sex and for females they often read too much into it. Most guys would be able to keep some distance to the situation and not see it as a serious relationship that will last until death do them part which seems to be the case for this pair, and be okay with the older female teacher using them for their bodies.

As some of you know fuck buddy relationships rarely work out. I've been in some, my friends have been in some, and it's always the female that will screw it up by trying to change it to a real relationship. They just have a harder time seeing sex as simple sex.

And because some of you are a bit slow, to put it nicely, I can add that this is obviously not true in all cases and there's situations where it's wrong.