Deleted

Starter edition --> Cataclysm = One free month?

Hello!
    I'm trying to convince my friend to start playing wow. So have a little question about upgrading. If you have a starter edition and then buy the digital copy of the full Cataclysm package from blizzard store, do you get one month free or do you have to buy playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    You will need to by wrath too.

Never had to do it but I'd assume you would still get the free month from attaching a retail CD-Key to your account, wouldn't make much sense to give a month with the starter edition and then lose it by adding Wrath and Cata to it.

After a quick google, no, you will NOT get a month free. Of course, this is from google, so it's not fact...but I wouldn't assume that you get a month.

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3234412AAmsDo8 among others.

Edit: this is under the assumption that you're going WotLK --> Cata. I misread what you're asking. If you're starting completely from scratch (Vanilla --> Cata), you will indeed have one month. If you've already "used" your one month, you will NOT get another free month. ...if that makes sense.

Assuming US based on post time, $20 for up to level 70+free month, $40 for wrath(yes, still) and $40 for cata, totalling $100 for 85 cap and 1 month of play time.

---------- Post added 2012-03-02 at 10:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    After a quick google, no, you will NOT get a month free. Of course, this is from google, so it's not fact...but I wouldn't assume that you get a month.

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3234412AAmsDo8 among others.
    You get the month from 20-70 version now, that person was asking if you got it with cataclysm and the answer was even further off because it was during a promotional period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinivus View Post
    Assuming US based on post time, $20 for up to level 70+free month, $40 for wrath(yes, still) and $40 for cata, totalling $100 for 85 cap and 1 month of play time.
    There are plenty of deals where you get one or two of the expansions for free, look around.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about a special deal from another internet site or buying the expansions one by one, I'm talking about upgrading all the way to cataclysm from the deal you get if you log into your battle net account.

Deleted
    I'm not talking about buying the expansion from another site or upgrading them one by one. I'm talking about the option you get to upgrade to a full Cataclysm version when you log into your battle net account.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you upgrade from the starter to wrath and then to cata within that first month, then yes, you'll have a free month. Buying wrath or cata won't give you any additional free months of time though. That only comes with the purchase of vanilla wow.

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

You will get one free month. As your friend has a starter edition account you first need to update into normal account (Includes 1 month gametime) -> TBC -> WotLK -> Cataclysm.
    "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mmff4 View Post
    You will get one free month. As your friend has a starter edition account you first need to update into normal account (Includes 1 month gametime) -> TBC -> WotLK -> Cataclysm.
    Don't need to buy/upgrade to tbc.

Deleted
    OP

Ignore all of the above. I upgraded my free account a month ago. From Starter edition to Cataclysm in one go. The package you are looking at.

I did NOT get a free month with the upgrade. I had to buy a seperate subscription.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    OP

Ignore all of the above. I upgraded my free account a month ago. From Starter edition to Cataclysm in one go. The package you are looking at.

I did NOT get a free month with the upgrade. I had to buy a seperate subscription.
    Got this off wow's eu forum: "The upgrade includes the Battle Chest, so you get 30 days free."

Very confused

vanilla give your 30 days free time regarless what you do with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blandband View Post
    Got this off wow's eu forum: "The upgrade includes the Battle Chest, so you get 30 days free."

Very confused
    Starter edition comes with a free month. Upgrading to Cataclysm does not give an additional month.

The free month only applies to the original or vanilla WoW. If you want to get Cataclysm, you must first obtain Burning Crusades, and Wrath of the Lich King. Check places like Amazon for a 'Battle Chest' package, which should have both Vanilla and Burning Crusades, and may now also include Wrath of the Lich King. If not, then Wrath of the Lich King would also have to be purchased. However, keep in mind that once you install these packages, you will most likely lose your free month, but in the packages that I purchased originally, there were 30 day free time cards in them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just purchased a second account myself so I can have a second DK in our guild that is PvP only. I paid for the first game, which I believe included a free month, then threw in $63 or so to upgrade straight to Cata. It says I am in my free month.

I am not sure if that was from the original or upgrading to Cata. But I did get a free month. Took two days until the account actually upgraded.