Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pleaserelax View Post
    Just for reference (for those just becoming interested in the game), everything in GW1 can be done solo with 7H these days after you've played through every campaign and can assemble counters builds for everything.
    I know from experience that Sorrow's Furnace and The Fissure of Woe are even doable with a bunch 'random' heroes. It takes quite some time and it's pretty challenging, but it's definitely doable while using a walkthrough from the wiki.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    I know from experience that Sorrow's Furnace and The Fissure of Woe are even doable with a bunch 'random' heroes. It takes quite some time and it's pretty challenging, but it's definitely doable while using a walkthrough from the wiki.
    Actually I did it w/o walkthrough and it was pretty easy you just need to know how to use your heroes in a good way

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider View Post
    Domain of Anguish is significantly harder than Sorrow's Furnace and Fissure of Woe. I believe DoA is possible with 7 heroes, but I wipe pretty fast every time I go there, while I can clear FoW and Sorrow's Furnace quite easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klazmaunt View Post
    So...the beta begins at the end of march. Which means beta done mid April. Which means "everything is done and perfecto" mid may which means a Q2 release. Not sure where you're getting Q3-Q4 numbers.
    Big assumption.

To be more on topic, GW2 is pretty fun. My only complaint with the game was how... not-fluid(?) combat is.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Semantic-jumping aside, it is unlike the "traditional" MMORPGs we've come to expect. So unlike them that a different term could fit.
    Just because its different doesn't mean it needs to be branded as something else. If that was the case, Ultima Online wouldn't be an MMO because it's 2 dimensional or it's nothing but grind.

It is a massively multiplayer online game, it's online and has over 7 million players.

It's also marketed as one, the devs just call it a CORPG.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    GW1 was also more popular in Europe than in the US.
    Are you sure about this?
    all trading takes place in teh US servers and the EU servers are usually pretty dead compared to the US ones.

I don't know if anyone stated it yet, but Guild Wars 1 isn't really an MMORPG, but more of a CO-RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yall do realize that a "Cooperative" RPG can be massive, multiplayer, and online... right? O_o

Because GW1 fits all three terms.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Yall do realize that a "Cooperative" RPG can be massive, multiplayer, and online... right? O_o

Because GW1 fits all three terms.
    If that was the case it would be a CRPG rather than a CORPG
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Or it could be a GuildRPG, as it has guilds in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    Can't we stop trying to force everything into sub-genres of game types? I don't think it really matters if it's a COPRPG, CRPG, or whatever else. In the end it's an MMO. I think we should all agree that it's just a good game and we have a lot of fun with it, and not get sidetracked by silly things like which sub-genre it might fit into.

Edit: I mean no disrespect at all by saying what i did above.
    Last edited by Harry Botter; 2012-03-04 at 01:17 PM. Reason: add additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    The thing is, I don't see the point in making the distinction. People that are passionately trying to say it's not an MMORPG, but is a CORPG, are suggesting that it's not massive or multiplayer, even though I would describe it as such.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Are you sure about this?
    all trading takes place in teh US servers and the EU servers are usually pretty dead compared to the US ones.
    English EU maybe but German EU is still packed most of the time (Kamadan and LA).

Deleted
    Only grandpab mentioned this but it's a remarkable feature of GW: pvp. It is, or was, balanced, skill based and entertaining as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Devolution View Post
    Domain of Anguish is significantly harder than Sorrow's Furnace and Fissure of Woe. I believe DoA is possible with 7 heroes, but I wipe pretty fast every time I go there, while I can clear FoW and Sorrow's Furnace quite easily.
    I did it with heroes, the only really hard part is the foundry. You really need to pull carefully in there.
    Last edited by mmoc0ed12bb383; 2012-03-04 at 01:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Only grandpab mentioned this but it's a remarkable feature of GW: pvp. It is, or was, balanced, skill based and entertaining as hell.
    Guild Wars was the only game i actually enjoyed the pvp in. So much more fun than other games where half the people were uber geared and the rest are just trying to get gear and they get rofl-stomped . That just put me off of pvp in some games, i hate doing a million grinds for gear. I can't wait for GW2 pvp as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I'm now halfway through Factions and I can say that it's a great game.

Coming from WoW, it's a very "different" game. First there are things that you will easily understand :

- Servers are called districts and you can switch from one to another on-demand using a simple selection box.
    - There are 4 campaigns, each campaign centers around a culture and a context in the Guild Wars Universe.
    - A campaign has missions, which are sets or Primary Quests leading to a boss and developing the story. There are also Secondary Quests but they generally don't impact the storyline and are optional. There are important Secondary Quests though, like the one to get a Signet of Capture.
    - There are lots of cinematics and storytelling.
    - The world is more or less divided into Outposts and Explorable Areas. While in an Outpost you can see everyone in your district, chat with them, etc. While in an Explorable Area you can only see and interact with people in your party.
    - Your party can be comprised of real players, of Henchmen (NPCs that have specific professions), of Heroes (Henchmen on steroids) and of Allies (NPCs that are part of the quest)

Then there are things that are a little more difficult to understand if no one explains them to you :

- "How do I get new gear ?". I think this is the question most people coming from WoW will be asking. Mobs don't drop armor. There is no AH and all armor is BoP anyway. To make it worse there a those guys called "Armorers" in every single Outpost, selling Armor with different names but same stats for ... Bolts of Cloth ? How am I going to get those ? Simples. Guild Wars isn't gear centric, meaning that you will rather quickly get the best gear you'll ever have stat wise. I am level 18 right now and I already have max gear. So how do you acquire it ? Salvaging. There are items that you can buy from Merchants that will enable you to salvage mob drops, salvaging gets you mats that you can then give to an Armorer NPC so he can craft a piece for you. Different names are for different skins. There is absolutely no difference stat-wise between your crappy 1k gloves and AwesomeVeteran's 1mill gloves.

- The combat and mission system. Don't expect to roflstomp everything, the game is difficult if you're just starting. I have wiped countless times in Nahpui and I've ragequit just a couple hours ago after wiping on the final guards in Cathedral zu Heltzer. Also, if you wipe or you fail any mission objective you have to redo the mission from the beginning, there is no checkpoint. The combat is very dynamic, you have to be very aware of your surroundings, dodge arrows and projectiles, manage your heroes/henchmen, etc. If you die and someone battlereses you, you get sickness ... stackable. Everyone and anyone can res, even NPCs.

- "Where the hell I'm I supposed to go now ?", a question you'll be asking yourself a lot at the beginning. There are no little markers in the minimap to indicate quest givers. Generally the last guy you've talked to will have further instructions for the completion of your primary quests. If there is absolutely no one to talk to and nothing in the quest log, you'll most likely have a little "Mission" button under your party frame that you can click to start the mission.

Well, I feel this post is gonna get pretty long if I keep at it. All in all Guild Wars is a challenging, very story-driven MMORPG where gear isn't very important while skills are extremely important. Fortunately, you can change your skills and redistribute your skill points at will given that you are in an Outpost.

I have picked up GW1 in february and it's a very enjoyable experience so far. It's not traditional MMO, more like a single player game you play online with other ppl at your own pace.

What stands out for me is GW1 has very good storytelling, imho it beats even SWTOR in substance. The game is quite challenging, last night for example I spent 4 hours doing bonus in one of the missions ... no afk leveling like in other MMOs even if you don't go the extra length for bonus and what not. The specs are very diverse ... you have main profession you can spec in 3-4 different ways before you start mixing in secondary profession and you have team of 1 player + 7 heroes to play around with. It has butload of content. The pvp is good, but I did just a bit so far.

Also the community I haven't seen one like that yet ... yesterday for example we had springfest with trivia contest, hide and seek, lottery and other activities.
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-03-04 at 03:52 PM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Deleted
    I can´t think a reason why anyone hasnt mentioned the most important difference: "It´s not balanced".
    Before i get all the crits to this i want to follow up my argument why this is "GOOD".
    First of all you have 8 posible skills to put up in a bar from what almost 300 posibilities on one single class and being able to have a secondary class. ie (thinking in wow it would be kinda priest/warlock) XD awesome !! (or warrior/rogue) what i want to say is that you can put any 8 skills and be better than any class no need to balance the skills and nerf once and twice and three times the same skill in one expansion just to pull out same numbers as others.
    Balancing depends on you and not on the people that ask you just to "click this way" and you will be compensated with a new gear
    This actually make people "think" and "make" people better players, feel as a hero and enjoy the f***ing game.

Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    Are you sure about this?
    Yup. Arena.net have said it a few times in videos and interviews. The style of game and price point of GW1 are more attractive to EU players than US players. Why? I have no idea. But there it is in Anet's words.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenBeard View Post
    I'm now halfway through Factions and I can say that it's a great game.

Coming from WoW, it's a very "different" game. First there are things that you will easily understand :

- Servers are called districts and you can switch from one to another on-demand using a simple selection box.
    - There are 4 campaigns, each campaign centers around a culture and a context in the Guild Wars Universe.
    - A campaign has missions, which are sets or Primary Quests leading to a boss and developing the story. There are also Secondary Quests but they generally don't impact the storyline and are optional. There are important Secondary Quests though, like the one to get a Signet of Capture.
    - There are lots of cinematics and storytelling.
    - The world is more or less divided into Outposts and Explorable Areas. While in an Outpost you can see everyone in your district, chat with them, etc. While in an Explorable Area you can only see and interact with people in your party.
    - Your party can be comprised of real players, of Henchmen (NPCs that have specific professions), of Heroes (Henchmen on steroids) and of Allies (NPCs that are part of the quest)

Then there are things that are a little more difficult to understand if no one explains them to you :

- "How do I get new gear ?". I think this is the question most people coming from WoW will be asking. Mobs don't drop armor. There is no AH and all armor is BoP anyway. To make it worse there a those guys called "Armorers" in every single Outpost, selling Armor with different names but same stats for ... Bolts of Cloth ? How am I going to get those ? Simples. Guild Wars isn't gear centric, meaning that you will rather quickly get the best gear you'll ever have stat wise. I am level 18 right now and I already have max gear. So how do you acquire it ? Salvaging. There are items that you can buy from Merchants that will enable you to salvage mob drops, salvaging gets you mats that you can then give to an Armorer NPC so he can craft a piece for you. Different names are for different skins. There is absolutely no difference stat-wise between your crappy 1k gloves and AwesomeVeteran's 1mill gloves.

- The combat and mission system. Don't expect to roflstomp everything, the game is difficult if you're just starting. I have wiped countless times in Nahpui and I've ragequit just a couple hours ago after wiping on the final guards in Cathedral zu Heltzer. Also, if you wipe or you fail any mission objective you have to redo the mission from the beginning, there is no checkpoint. The combat is very dynamic, you have to be very aware of your surroundings, dodge arrows and projectiles, manage your heroes/henchmen, etc. If you die and someone battlereses you, you get sickness ... stackable. Everyone and anyone can res, even NPCs.

- "Where the hell I'm I supposed to go now ?", a question you'll be asking yourself a lot at the beginning. There are no little markers in the minimap to indicate quest givers. Generally the last guy you've talked to will have further instructions for the completion of your primary quests. If there is absolutely no one to talk to and nothing in the quest log, you'll most likely have a little "Mission" button under your party frame that you can click to start the mission.

Well, I feel this post is gonna get pretty long if I keep at it. All in all Guild Wars is a challenging, very story-driven MMORPG where gear isn't very important while skills are extremely important. Fortunately, you can change your skills and redistribute your skill points at will given that you are in an Outpost.
    That's very nice description.

Have you done your attribute quests? Since you mentioned signet of capture quest, but not attribute point quests, so I though you might have missed these as game doesn't direct you to these quests in factions and prophecies as it does in nightfall. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Attri...e_point_quests