Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Smart move by ArenaNet?

Do you think it was a smart move to take their time to make this game? I understand they want to have the game polished when it's released, but from my knowledge. Guild Wars two has been in development for over 5 years since it's been announced. That's pretty long development time for games after they've been announced to the public. Usually it's 3 to 4 years of development time before it's released. GW2 probably won't be released until early November. Looking at the press beta videos, the games looks very polished. Hell, it looks more polished then games that are on the market currently. Oh well, I guess I am just an impatient guy.. I've only been waiting since they announced Guild Wars 2. I just want to throw my money at Arena Net for this game.. They won't take my money. =(

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do I think it's a smart move to wait and release a polished game? Yes I do.

If GW2 is as good as I think it's going to be, I don't care if it only comes out in November. But I really think we'll be seeing it before summer hits.

What kind of question is this? :/
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW was in development for about 5 years, as well, before it was launched. Keep that in mind.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the word polish. I can't be the only one who cringes when game developers are "polishing" their games.

So WoW is 12 years old now?

Quote Originally Posted by GodlyInsane View Post
    Do you think it was a smart move to take their time to make this game? I understand they want to have the game polished when it's released, but from my knowledge. Guild Wars two has been in development for over 5 years since it's been announced. That's pretty long development time for games after they've been announced to the public. Usually it's 3 to 4 years of development time before it's released. GW2 probably won't be released until early November. Looking at the press beta videos, the games looks very polished. Hell, it looks more polished then games that are on the market currently. Oh well, I guess I am just an impatient guy.. I've only been waiting since they announced Guild Wars 2. I just want to throw my money at Arena Net for this game.. They won't take my money. =(
    I'm not sure where you're coming up with a release date in November from. And yes, the Press Beta looked polished - that is, to clarify, the level 1 to 30 experience for Human, Charr and Norm. That leaves level 31 to 80 for those races, and level 1 to 80 for Sylvari & Asura that we haven't seen yet, and cannot judge "polish level" on. I'm not saying they're not mostly complete etc - but we haven't seen them.

In answer to your question, you're really asking "Do you want a completed, tested and polished game, or a game with potential bugs and issues" - if you boil down what you're saying (and discarding the time frame comments).

It strikes me one does not need to be Leonardo Da Vinci to come to a logical conclusion as to what product us gamers would rather be playing - just take a look at the QQ on other forums when a game/expansion/patch is released with bugs (not saying that some level of upset isn't justified, but some of the QQ you read is over the top).
    Last edited by Midnight Man; 2012-03-04 at 02:48 AM. Reason: typo

November? That seems a bit too far in the future. Or maybe it's wishful thinking on my part... *sigh*

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, if you put me to choose between a good game right now, and a super awesome game in 6 months, ill choose the super awesome game any time.

5 years of development time is well within the normal range for MMOs.

Even if it takes 6-7years.

As said, Super Awesome game > good\decent game.

When its done, it's done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    What kind of question is this? :/
    I dont even know...
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Early november? According to who?
    As much as I could play this game right now, they have things they want to make perfect.

Yes, a very smart move in my opinion. I've seen far too many games with great potential ruined because they were rushed out to meet some arbitrary deadline set by investors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guild Wars two has been in development for over 5 years since it's been announced. That's pretty long development time for games after they've been announced to the public.

Diablo III would also like to have a word with you or even SCII, it is what it is. I doubt it will impact the sale of any of the games by much if at all.

5 years isn't that long for development, if that's really how long it's been. I've seen single player games take up to that long and more so I don't see a problem here. So yes, I would rather wait for a polished game than get a game earlier but have to worry about bugs.

The bottom line is, why ruin the potencial of an upcoming game by hastening its release?

I know business is business and release dates are determined, but i wonder how many unsuccessful games are out there that could have been A LOT better with more development time (6 months, 1 year, 2, doesn't matter).

Release it when its done, PLEASE.

Well, except Football Managers, those i want at mid October, even if its poop haha

First of all, it will be released roughly 3 months before November. I don't know where you are getting that.

Second, there are multiple games out there that had a 5 year cooking time. Diablo III has been in development for 10 years. World of Warcraft took 8 (some people think 5, but no, for 3 years they worked on it in secret as Warcraft 4). Trion's Rift took roughly 6 years of development, also not named Rift for most of the development cycle.

As others have said 5 years is not all that long for game development, its quite a bit closer to avrage for a game of this type truth be told. The major difference is its more common for the public anouncement of a game to come a couple years into development where GW2 was announced as they were starting. As an example of this look at titan from bliz. It's been what 2, maybe 3 years now and we dont have more than a codename to go on and its been in development all that time.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodAndy View Post
    First of all, it will be released roughly 3 months before November. I don't know where you are getting that.
    Right back at ya. O_o
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.