Deleted

The Day I Started Playing WoW! [A Short Story]

Every time anyone on here talks about 'the good ole days,' or how WoW used to be, they get bashed for being nostalgic. So I figured we could take a moment out of our day to make nostalgia into a positive thing. Let's discuss, relive, tell, share and relate our WoW moments that kindle feelings of Nostalgia.

While I cannot support what WoW has become, and is becoming. And while I also do not play anymore. I still appreciate the impact WoW has had on my life and the unforgettable memories and fun I've had whilst playing this game. These are memories that few others, but you, my fellow WoW brethren, would understand.

Years have gone by now, and I've raided in top level guilds, pvp'd in high brackets and done everything you could possibly do in WoW. Despite this, nothing can compare to the fun I had when I was a noob. The charm WoW has/d is unique. The feeling you get when you start playing WoW is truly something to be cherished while it lasts. I Hope you enjoy my personal story of when I started playing WoW and I hope you share some of your own! Please ignore any inaccuracies or mistakes. It was a long time ago, I'm not the best writer, and I'm tired. Here we go!

The Day I Started Playing WoW! [A Short Story]

I rushed home as I could not contain my excitement anymore. I had finally purchased World of Warcraft. Everyone, I mean EVERYONE, had been constantly talking about it! I opened the box and read the guides and manuals in detail, soaking in every line. Everything I read sounded amazing. Dwarves, Orcs, Elves! It all sounded so epic, so awesome, so different from any game I had played prior. Reading further into the guides, I see more and more information. Until finally, I can't contain myself any longer. I pop the disc into my computer's DVD drive.

As WoW installs and patches, I try to stay calm. I pretend (to myself, since no one else is around) that I am not excited. I mean, I'm cool. Who gets excited about video games? Right? Right? But in reality, my excitement is off the charts, much like a Justin Bieber fangirl upon hearing the enlightening melody and lyric of the masterpiece known simply as 'Baby'.

Finally, the WoW installation is complete. I have already created my account so I proceed to log in. The password you have entered is incorrect. Damnit. I try again. This time it works. However, I am now greeted with a strange screen. They want me to pick a realm, but there are so many to choose from. As I scroll down the list each name is more amazing than the last. Anachronos? Sounds mysterious! But no, wait, here's one called Frostwhisper, that sounds eerie. After deliberating for what felt like an eternity, I finally make my decision. Sunstrider it is!

As I am clearly trustworthy, just and noble in real life (lol), it is only fitting that I choose an Alliance character (Horde 4 lyf now tho <3). A human to be exact. And I also decide upon a Warrior (Enhance Shaman 4 lyf now though <3). The Warrior description Blizzard gives IS pretty epic to say the least. I click to enter the world and am met by a loading screen. A Blizzard employee will never ask for your password! Hmm, ok. Uh...thanks for the tip?

Now I see a welcome cinematic about how it is my duty to defend Northshire Abby, Elwynn forest and the Human territories. This instills some pride in me. I am an adventurer! But these delusions of grandeur are quickly shut down when I get my first menial tasks. Kill wolves, kill kobolds, gather grapes and other similarly not so amazing quests. But wait! Yellow glowy super saiyan light. ZOMFG Level 2, Level 3, Level 4! Suddenly I feel invincible and my drive to continue playing only increases. I get a quest to venture outside of Northshire Abby. Once again my child like excitement takes over me.

I empty my bag of the linen cloth and other goods I had acquired during my questing, and head on my way out to Elwynn Forest. The wolves here are considerably stronger than the ones before. Pfft, I'm a fucking warrior. I can take them. I rush head first into a group of 3 wolves. Big mistake. I finally find my corpse, and resurrect. (Anyone rememeber the Eastvale Logging Camp corpse run? Yeah.) But brave little me still feels he can take these wolves. Filled with youthful ignorance, and at 79% HP, I charge into the same group of wolves. I die again and this time I learn my lesson.

Fastforward an hour or so later and I am a native to these forests. I've grouped with cool people who've helped me kill mobs in mines. I've dueled a Mage in Goldshire. (He freaking shot fireballs from his hands!) And I've buffed myself with this really cool 'scroll'. But suddenly something catches my eye. It's a player, but he is not like me. He has armour. Fancy armour. He also has a horse and his horse also has armour. (Eww, he was a Paladin lol.) I cannot believe what is before my eyes. I whisper him. "Your guy looks so cool. How can I become like that?" He replies: "lol. you need to level up, just do some quests and you'll be here in no time." I add him to my friends list and am filled with a new desire to quest and level up my character.

After some more hours of questing, and some extremely tired eyes. I get a very special quest. A WANTED quest. Yes, you guessed it. I get a quest to kill 'The Hogger.' I see many groups falling before his might. A priest, a Warlock and a Hunter do their best to bring down their adversary, but he is simply too strong. Others try and fail too. It is a truly gruesome sight. I observe silently as I plan my attack. Despite their failures, I am not discouraged. I AM WARRIOR!

I charge at the Hogger.....

By SuperMechatronGamer
    User: SuperMechatronGamer

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was so intriguing! You should definitely start a blog, since that's really where this should go...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I charge at the Hogger.....
    LOL. We need a part 2!

Ahh, the memories. I remember when I started playing I ran all the way from the night elf starting area to Elwynn. I wanted to play night elf but I hated their zones. Boy did I die a lot. I mean a lot. Also I always had better rep with the Humans than the Nelfs. :/

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    LOL. We need a part 2!

Ahh, the memories. I remember when I started playing I ran all the way from the night elf starting area to Elwynn. I wanted to play night elf but I hated their zones. Boy did I die a lot. I mean a lot. Also I always had better rep with the Humans than the Nelfs. :/
    The good old days when you had to run through the wetlands to get to elwynn to level.

You should write part 2.

memories.

brings me back to the times i was a level ~10 Nelf Druid (Priest/Warlock/Mage/DK 4 Lyfe to copy the OP!) and I jumped off the side of Teldrassil to my death like 2-3 times because i didn't know about the portal in Darnassus!

And that OMFG THIS WORLD IS HUUUUUUGE feeling I got when I was told to go across the world to get an item for the Druid Waterform quest....

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    And that OMFG THIS WORLD IS HUUUUUUGE feeling I got when I was told to go across the world to get an item for the Druid Waterform quest....
    Everything was on such a large scale when you had to run everywhere on foot.

Just going from 1 end to the next of a single zone took a looong amount of time. Damn, I miss that. :/

Great read ^^ Seriously, start a blog or something xP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    The good old days when you had to run through the wetlands to get to elwynn to level.
    Those stupid crocs. -.-

But it was such a fun experience because of everything you got to see. Especially the Deeprun tram!

Loved it! We demand a part 2!

Damn cliffhanger ending! Indeed you have to write a part 2.

The best thing was lvling my first character, a night elf druid, thinking Shadowglen was gigantic. Finding where the map is, and seeing the rest of Teldrassil. The awe I felt then was only beaten by the awe I felt when I zoomed the map out ......
    GM of Roiyaru - Frostmane. Ilinára, Combat rogue. So good at stealth I can't even find myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veranya View Post
    The best thing was lvling my first character, a night elf druid, thinking Shadowglen was gigantic. Finding where the map is, and seeing the rest of Teldrassil. The awe I felt then was only beaten by the awe I felt when I zoomed the map out ......
    Gahh! Reading comments like this make me want to come back.

But then I think of LFR and ninja looters and lame Dragonsoul and no groups for Raids/Arena and no events happening on the server and no one out in the world and my class being nerfed/mages one shotting me and the rehashed dungeon content and sitting afk in Org for 90% of my playtime.

And all my desire to come back quickly evaporates....
    Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2012-02-25 at 03:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post

You should write part 2.
    Or run through Wetlands to get to IF from being a Night Elf. V_V

Deleted
    Awesome GOGO PART 2

Deleted
    I never forgot that moment when I realized at low HP, that bandages and potions had a cooldown, unlike Diablo II.
    Go, go, second part!

Deleted
    I remember when I started as Alliance. The Horde were such mystical creatures.

When I saw a Hordie in the open world, I was all like WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    That was so intriguing! You should definitely start a blog, since that's really where this should go...
    Please!

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 03:45 AM ----------

I actually remeber my second day/character way more. The begining cinematic for undead was so mysterious and I had no idea who this "Lich King" or "Dark Lady" or "Scourge" were but I knew I really wanted to!
    Last edited by kage; 2012-03-04 at 03:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kage View Post
    I actually remeber my second day/character way more. The begining cinematic for undead was so mysterious and I had no idea who this "Lich King" or "Dark Lady" or "Scourge" were but I knew I really wanted to!
    I must admit the Undead storyline has always been pretty compelling.

Races like Gnomes never really go past the novelty factor. They lack substance.