Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Seriously? Another game that will eat up a ton of my time when it comes out

There isn't a Simcity I haven't owned or played a million times.
    I have just installed SC4 again, never realised how much I would of missed it.

Now Maxis needs to take The Sims back.

Quote Originally Posted by MMOTotal View Post
    The developers held a reddit Q&A. They really want this to be as good as Sim City 4 but also listened to what players did not like about it.
    And as history has shown to us in many occassions, such talk is extremely reliable.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Merged threads, will add to directory and change title to Megathread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Errr I hate EA so much! Charging for DLC's before the game is even out.... And $80 for a sim city game is just ridiculous. I don't even think I'm going to get this game just to spite EA. I'll buy it if it goes on sale.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Few months ago I have decided to not buy it, even though I have been huge fan of Simcity series.
    Imo this game will be a step back, not forward.

As for the EA listening to their players, sometimes I feel like they use it as an excuse for their unpopular decisions.
    "players wanted to be able to play from wherever they are and play with their friends, so we made Simcity online-only, in cloud"
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Few months ago I have decided to not buy it, even though I have been huge fan of Simcity series.
    Imo this game will be a step back, not forward.

As for the EA listening to their players, sometimes I feel like they use it as an excuse for their unpopular decisions.
    "players wanted to be able to play from wherever they are and play with their friends, so we made Simcity online-only, in cloud"
    Whats wrong with it being online only? the majority of Gamers have internet these days. The co-op is quite fun and interesting i think its going in the right direction. Thats my opinion at least.

Pre-ordered it on GMG just before the voucher ran out. Lots of money saved compared to Origin's overpriced offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Whats wrong with it being online only? the majority of Gamers have internet these days. The co-op is quite fun and interesting i think its going in the right direction. Thats my opinion at least.
    That's a topic for a whole new discussion I think, I just used it as an example. In general it's nice if new features are added, but it's not nice when it comes at the cost of other stuff.
    There are many things in new Simcity that make fans angry, but devs seem always to repeat how they listen to their fans and do everything for them.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    I will not buy this if it requires Origin.

I'd rather miss out completely than be forced to buy into another content delivery system just to pad EA's greedy pockets.

I understand how you feel (I think) but origin is free to download.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    For me it's not about the price of the delivery system but the fact that there's a limit to how much I want to bloat my PC with absolutely unecessary programs and DRM shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    I think he is talking about how they are charging $60 for a game, and then $80 if you want the finished version.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I think he is talking about how they are charging $60 for a game, and then $80 if you want the finished version.
    He said content delivery system, aka Steam, Origin and other similiar programs.

So I finally got to play in the beta event they had this weekend and was left a bit disappointed.

For one, they closed the beta Sunday morning, which left me only Saturday night really to play. Half the day I couldn't even get into the game (hello online gaming), so that left only a couple hours. Secondly they limit you to only 1 hour of playtime on a city, which between all the help guides they had going on through the beginning left me with about 30min of actual build time.

You can definitely tell the game was made on a new engine by a different company, and doesn't have the same simcity feel I've experienced with all the other sim city games. By making the game more granular in detail the world doesn't feel as big and I'm not a fan with the new zoning method. The constant interaction with your actual residents makes the game feel more like the sims then sim city.

Some of the changes I did enjoy, like modular/upgradable buildings, CURVED ROADS, power/water/sanitation effects (follow the road).

Overall I'll probably still buy the game but not until it goes on discount.
    Last edited by reighnman; 2013-02-18 at 09:30 PM.
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

Deleted
    Soon! Already preordered and can't wait \(^-^\)

Deleted
    i REALY want a new simcity, and by the looks of it, this seems prety decent. its not perfect, but good enough that i preordered it.
    the new engine is realy nice, the city feels realy alive thanks to glassbox. the only downsides i have is the permaonline thing and the overprized-day1-dlc-bullshit.
    but i have to say, i didnt buy it from ea, i bought it on g2play for 38€. that prie is ok for that game.

also played the beta, and it really is nice to play with and to figure out good itylayouts and just playing the shit out of the game.

oh one thing i forgot.
    for all those who dont like the small maps. that was an issue for me 2 in the beginning, but when you play it, its not a huge problem, at least not for me. for me, simcity is more about building a city that is as dense as possible, tha actual size is big enough to have fu8n with it. MAYBE its an issue later in the game, but i dont think so
    Last edited by mmoc7197d3f1cb; 2013-02-21 at 08:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Syl3r View Post
    i REALY want a new simcity, and by the looks of it, this seems prety decent. its not perfect, but good enough that i preordered it.
    the new engine is realy nice, the city feels realy alive thanks to glassbox. the only downsides i have is the permaonline thing and the overprized-day1-dlc-bullshit.
    but i have to say, i didnt buy it from ea, i bought it on g2play for 38€. that prie is ok for that game.

also played the beta, and it really is nice to play with and to figure out good itylayouts and just playing the shit out of the game.

oh one thing i forgot.
    for all those who dont like the small maps. that was an issue for me 2 in the beginning, but when you play it, its not a huge problem, at least not for me. for me, simcity is more about building a city that is as dense as possible, tha actual size is big enough to have fu8n with it. MAYBE its an issue later in the game, but i dont think so
    considering how much impact and importance neighbour have in this one (you can build an entire residential area in a region and the industrial/working in another as far as I understood, please correct me if I'm wrong) it should not be too much of a issue as you can build your workplaces far away and connect them with trains/roads.

played beta, and it was pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSageCorban View Post
    played beta, and it was pretty boring.
    Freal? Was hoping this would consume my life.

Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    So I finally got to play in the beta event they had this weekend and was left a bit disappointed.

You can definitely tell the game was made on a new engine by a different company, and doesn't have the same simcity feel I've experienced with all the other sim city games. By making the game more granular in detail the world doesn't feel as big and I'm not a fan with the new zoning method. The constant interaction with your actual residents makes the game feel more like the sims then sim city.

Overall I'll probably still buy the game but not until it goes on discount.
    There are legitimate gripes to make about the game for sure, but I wanted to clarify here since I've followed the game closely for awhile now.

The game is meant to reboot the franchise with a far more in-depth simulation than before. Hence Simcity and not naming it Simcity 5. The small maps is something the developers are painfully aware of, believe me. They also want to be able to allow people to play larger maps, but it's not going to happen for release. My guess is -- 6-12 months after release we'll get a patch allowing larger maps sizes. The small map size is partly due to keeping system requirements lower, and partly due to the simulation being so in-depth that it requires a lot of processing.

My 3770K overclocked to 4.2ghz hovered between 25-30% CPU usage on a full map during the beta. So you can see how going from the current 2km maps to 4km maps (4x the area) would probably 100% cap anyone on a CPU from anything prior to Sandy Bridge CPUs.

One thing to keep in mind: The beta has so little of the actual game in it, that you're barely touching the surface. Most of the transportation options are missing. Some of the road types, lots of city services are missing. Most of the specialization. The global market isn't there, neither are the challenge modes, great works, etc. They also said the difficulty was set easier for the beta since it was only 1hr.