Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Abilities going off even if you're out of range

I'm not too sure how GW1 worked, seeing as I didn't play it, but for those of you who didn't know yet, in GW2 you can use your attacks even if you're out of range of the target. This goes for both melee and ranged attacks. I for one, think it's going to take me a few fights to get used to this mechanic. I'm used to spamming my melee abilities wether I'm in range or not, so that they land as soon as I'm within range. The biggest downside to this mechanic, in my opinion, is that you're susceptible to wasting resources on attacks when your opponent has just barely stepped out of the attack's range. On the other hand, i can see this method forcing you to play in a more calculated way really measuring when it's the right time to hit that attack, and not just spam away at your keys, which let's be honest, takes no skill. Another advantage to this method is the fact that you can use mobility skills such as the Warrior charge, Thieve's shadowstep, etc, without having a target, which is quite awesome.

What's your opinion on this mechanic? Hate it? Love it? Need to try it before you can say?

I'd post some vids demonstrating this, but i just made this account =P

I love it, but I can see it being slightly annoying sometimes. Like you said someone stepping just out of range right before you use the ability, but other then that it will add a bit more focus to combat instead of hitting a rotation and chatting on vent about random stuff. Combat will always require a bit of focus and I like that.

I like it. It prevents people from mindlessly smashing buttons in any encounter, PvE or PvP. I can see how it would cause problems for people if they are lagging, but as long as you have a good connection, I think it's a fine gameplay addition.

Love the idea. It leaves more room for skill and experience.

Deleted
    A lot of abilites lets you to run, and cast/use ability. The only skills and spells I could find annoying for this then is channeling ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need to target something to damage it, so just because your currently selected target is out of range it doesn't mean won't hit anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    You don't need to target something to damage it, so just because your currently selected target is out of range it doesn't mean won't hit anything.
    Unless it's the only Mob in the way of the ability

But yes, all the spells and abilities can be cast out of combat without a target. It gives the game an extra feel of realism to it that I personally prefer instead of the giant red text of 'target not in range' 'target not in range' over and over when I am chasing after someone or thing. I'd rather know that my ability missed
    because I did something wrong than only be able to use it when I am in range and just spam abilities.

That, and it gives me a little something extra to add into roleplays
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    It'll take some getting used to, but I honestly like it.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I like it too as said previously it will require more skill and actual fight awareness. Plus I seem to remember seeing in some vids that your keybinds turn red when target is out of range... or am I deluding myself?

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I like it. It prevents people from mindlessly smashing buttons in any encounter, PvE or PvP. I can see how it would cause problems for people if they are lagging, but as long as you have a good connection, I think it's a fine gameplay addition.
    This, definitely. Also it forces you to keep your eyes on the field, and not watching your UI. IMO this mechanic might seem like a small detail, but it's definitely gonna shape how people play, and separate the bad from the good.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love it.

I've been killed in wow pvp by button mashers and it is infuriating. It takes absolutely no skill and I'm glad these idiots will be wasting their resources while I kite their stupid faces.

The 1 key has no CD or resource, OP. So technically one can smash that if they wished.

I think this is cool but am concerned about how well it's going to work out with lag over the internet and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The 1 key has no CD or resource, OP. So technically one can smash that if they wished.
    Or just turn it on auto so no smashing necessary
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this approach. It will mean players will need to watch their screen properly and react accordingly instead of mashing and running.

I've seen many players get stressed out in some situations which leaves them mashing buttons and running around without thinking too much about what they're doing. This will seperate the players with a plan who think a few moves ahead from those that tunnel vision into 1 or 2 abilities. Especially considering that all GW2 abilities are only limited by cooldown.

It will take some getting used to, I will watch some guild wars 2 pvp videos and sometimes I don't even notice they are out of range. I like it though, the only way they could change this is if they made it so you had to target someone and I would rather not have to target someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikram View Post
    I'm not too sure how GW1 worked
    In GW1 if you activated an ability while out of range your character would start moving to get into range and use the ability. But then again GW2 is vastly different from GW1.

Ever played a rogue in WoW ? You must know that feeling when you're running after someone and just smashing that Shadowstep. I'm glad it's gone. These details are exactly what makes GW's PVP take pure skill, there is no aspect of your playing that can't improved by actually knowing what you're doing, as opposed to other games where mindless bashing can be more rewarding than good timing.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I can see with it, is that it's not clear (visually) what "out of range" means. I'd be pretty annoyed if my 20s+ cooldown got wasted because I misjudged a distance.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    The only problem I can see with it, is that it's not clear (visually) what "out of range" means. I'd be pretty annoyed if my 20s+ cooldown got wasted because I misjudged a distance.
    There is a visual cue on your action bar that indicates that you're out of range. In the Beta your keybinds turned red when you were out of range.