View Poll Results: Is it socially acceptable to be fat?

Voters
502. This poll is closed
  • Yes

113 22.51%
  • No

200 39.84%
  • Yes, but...

124 24.70%
  • No, but...

65 12.95%
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astounded View Post
    If you're having 1000 calories in one sitting you need to grab a book on understanding metabolism and nutrition. Unless of course you're a competitive athlete.
    I do, and I bodybuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    You can be more economic. Check the prices of ground meat. They range 255-289 kcal per 100g.
    I agree with you completely. I buy as much as I can in bulk to stretch that grub for my buck. Grabbing stuff on sale is also key, and something I think people overlook now 'days.
    Last edited by Orestis; 2012-03-05 at 09:53 AM.

i think they are idiots for lacking the self control to just stop eating...
    but its there live, and if they wanna live it unhealthy so be it.

and its a totally different discrimination then lets say race, you cant change your race (except Micheal Jackson)
    it is however a choice to be fat, and if you get discriminated allot because of it. just lose the weight, problem solved.

i get some (minor) discrimination because i have long hair as a guy. i can cut it of if it bothers me, but it doesnt.
    "I am the King of Rome, and above grammar."

Quote Originally Posted by saberon View Post
    Sixth, PIZZA IS NOT A FUCKING VEGETABLE. FOR FUCK SAKE. FOR FUCK SAKE.
    Oh, that's where I've been going wrong....

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crica View Post
    calories alone doesn't equal healthy food for humans - vitamins, minerals, fiber, pure water, natural sugar, non-saturated fat PLUS the right amount of calories equals healthy food for humans
    Why did you bring "Humans" into this? Did anyone mention dogs? Or cats?

What I'm saying is that 3/4 of this shit in your local grocery store is bad for you. All that processed garbage is unneeded.

Meat. Nuts. Berries.

first off, complaining that you don't like fat people isn't discrimination, its prejudice. second of all... judging people by their appearances is incredibly superficial and says a lot about your character. judge somebody by whether or not they are a good person. who cares what they look like.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis View Post
    I do, and I bodybuild.
    Are you Yo-Yo dieting? I'm at 235lb right now and taking in 4500 calories and I still manage to spread that over 6 feed times.

I also lift heavy things and put them down.

Why did you bring "Humans" into this? Did anyone mention dogs? Or cats?

What I'm saying is that 3/4 of this shit in your local grocery store is bad for you. All that processed garbage is unneeded.

Meat. Nuts. Berries.
    meat nuts and berries alone doesn't have all of the vitamins and minerals and fiber and pure water that your body needs to stay healthy however

and nuts and fresh berries are alot more expensive then the prepared unhealthy foods

Ehm, I really do not get AT ALL, what you are trying to say? What do you mean by socially acceptable?

What does weight has to do with anything apart from potential health problems if you are obese for a long period of time?

I really don't get what you are trying to say, and I think that this thread is way to racist.

At least we cannot blame gaming for obesity. We all know that every gamer works out 4 hours a day and practice MMA 6 hours a day.
    Or... that's what I hear people tell me every time they go like "If you were here I'd smahs ur theeth in" and I go like, "naah if we were face to face, you would probably just walk away like a normal human".
    And then comes the bodybuilder MMA fighter rant. I laugh every time.

I don't get our society's stigma toward the opposite.. where people want to be muscular, lithe, and tanned. Who descended from on high and said that this was the panultimate goal that we should be striving for? For those of us in the real world, a little weight ain't so bad. Being fat's about as unhealthy as being a stickman.

When someone's life is put at risk is the only time anyone should care. Like, 'eat one more meatball and you croak' bad. Otherwise we should be happy for the diversity we have. Learning to accept yourself and the people around you is hard. Being an intolerant pig is easy.

These kind of threads are stupid.

Everyone in the world is different, some people are fat because they eat the wrong kind of food and choose not to do anything about it. Some people are fat due to depression or it might flip the other way and become anorexic because of depression.

If you can't look past why other people are different then stick your head in sand or just act like a dumb idiot all your life.

Acceptable to be a little overweight. I have friends who are grossly overweight(150kg+) and they get given crap by random people off the street. Its a bit disgusting that someone would be an ass when they dont know the whole story. Some people can't help their genes, but that is just a small portion of society. Still, if you don't know how a person got to where they are today, you should keep your trap shut and keep walking.

Realistically, people really should take better care of their bodies though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sendai View Post
    As I wrote in the other thread that is related to this, I just don't see how eating healthy can be more expensive than eating out all the time. I just don't buy that people can't AFFORD to eat right.

It's not about hitting the gym. If you watch what you eat and keep yourself active (walking instead of going by car in example) you'll be already in a much better condition than if you don't do that. It's that simple.
    Instead of keeping this argument alive, I'd suggest you look into it.

Here is just one of the many documentaries on the topic. It's interesting, actually.

I can deal with people being fat. There are plenty of reasons for it, from medical to laziness and lots in between.

Now, fat people letting their kids get fat? THEY disgust me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you Yo-Yo dieting? I'm at 235lb right now and taking in 4500 calories and I still manage to spread that over 6 feed times.

I also lift heavy things and put them down.
    Nope, usually have 4 meals at 800-900 Cal, and 2 at half that sometime during the mid-morning and early afternoon, pre workout. It's not really by choice, as I'm accommodating my class schedule.

Currently sitting around 6'2", 230lbs, and about 4500 calories a day as well!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You cannot legally be discriminated against due to weight.
    It may not be in the legal definition, but it very well could be an amend somewhere in previous cases where the same issue was put to question. Also, I'm pretty sure "sexual orientation" hasn't been apart of that description for long but it's still valid as discrimination.

Disliking someone entirely based on their weight, treating them like any less of a human while knowing nothing about them except their size, is discrimination. I don't know what makes you think it wouldn't be, just because they didn't think to toss "weight" into the description. This is another one of those arguments that makes me want to punch people. It's the exact same process if you just assume all overweight people are gross and lazy, as assuming every black person who walks into your store is going to steal your shit. It's about your upbringing.

Yes, there's an argument that you can't change the color of your skin, but you can lose weight. I get it. But that argument is tired out and makes people look terribly ignorant. You have no idea what that person might have endeared in their life, you don't know what they've been conditioned for in their childhood by their parents and their surroundings. You can't say one way or the other what mental barriers, or even possibly physical and medical barriers may be blocking that person from changing their lifestyle.

But I realize that most people don't care for those things. They think telling someone to "get over it" is going to solve the worlds problems. And it will never change. Ever. My question is; why do people put so much effort into giving a fuck what other people do with their lives?

They can't tell you not to be a discriminative asshole, you can't tell them to stop being fat. The world goes round.

Edit: Wow, I came off way more hostile than I meant to. I think it's just because these stupid arguments people have over people's rights and what is or isn't discrimination piss me off to no end. Just admit you fucking hate people and stop trying to make the world change to suit you. FFS.
    Last edited by Cordae; 2012-03-05 at 10:05 AM.
    Axetoface.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    first off, complaining that you don't like fat people isn't discrimination, its prejudice. second of all... judging people by their appearances is incredibly superficial and says a lot about your character. judge somebody by whether or not they are a good person. who cares what they look like.
    personally i am fat by choice - i was raped when i was 17 - he took the drunk fat chic home and kidnapped me (the drunk skinny chic) and raped me at gunpoint - i was able to escape but my friends and family and police (this was 23 years ago) all blamed me for it happening (since i was drunk it was my fault) but to try to prevent it from ever happening again, i got fat and have stayed that way ever since - so i am glad that guys think it is gross that i am fat!! =P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzhoof View Post
    Being fat's about as unhealthy as being a stickman.
    False.

Being muscular and stuff is not the goal everyone is striving for, but our body is certainly prepared for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzhoof View Post
    I don't get our society's stigma toward the opposite.. where people want to be muscular, lithe, and tanned. Who descended from on high and said that this was the panultimate goal that we should be striving for? For those of us in the real world, a little weight ain't so bad. Being fat's about as unhealthy as being a stickman.
    I think most people are referring to obese people, not those a few kg's overweight.
    You can tell the difference easily - overweight people walk normally, and their gut might bulge out a bit over the front of their belt.
    Obese people waddle like a duck and their gut(s) spill out from every conceivable gap.

Being a little overweight is perfectly fine - in fact, it's healthier than being underweight. Being obese is incredibly unhealthy, and self-righteous fatties are incredibly irritating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Excuses. That's all I'm reading. Unless someone has a serious medical condition and can't help it, I feel no sympathy for anyone who allows themselves to get obese. And no amount of excuses will change my mind.