Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, I suppose the flat earth idea is no less outrageous than the hollow earth theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth
    Well the flat earth thing was disproven about 2000 years ago. That has been disputed for only 200-300 years.

Boy am I gonna be laughing as I ride my inner earth dinosaur pass the hollow earth naysayers.

i dont see a probleme.. i spend more time on here then the official XXX oder YYY forums ^^

Boy am I gonna be laughing as I ride my inner earth dinosaur pass the hollow earth naysayers.
    Don't let the masses keep you down Fencers!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    World is flat?
    There's a pretty significant gap between delusion and opinion, and I have evidence to back it up:
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lKhIJdif0q...server_002.png

As you can clearly see, and probably even come to agree with, there's a flaw in your logic. Thus making it your opinion that people with outlandish opinions are delusional, and therefore making your opinion delusional because it can't be. This is because there's that gap I was talking about.

In all, everyone is wrong.
    The point I am making is that there's a difference between "opinion" and "preference"

You can say blue is the best color. That's an opinion, and it can't be wrong. Why? Because that's a matter of taste and preference.

You can say that Rift is better than WoW. That's an opinion, and it can't necessarily be wrong (though there will be subscription numbers and profit margins and whatnot that can be used to say one is better or worse, so that's debatable in some small ways, but still technically a matter of taste and preference).

You can say that the earth isn't actually round, and that Columbus (or whoever ultimately proved it) was wrong. That's an opinion, and can be proven wrong with fact, and evidence. (according to Larynx, some people actually DO believe it's flat still!)

You can say that people with white skin are better than people with black skin... and be absolutely wrong. That's an opinion that has been proven wrong for several decades now. (and unfortunately, there's still groups of racist people out there)

You can say that Osama bin Laden isn't actually dead, and that it's all a big conspiracy. That's an opinion, and can be proven wrong with video evidence, among numerous other verifiable sources. (And there's plenty of people who actually believe he lives!)

You can say that 9/11 was a government conspiracy or plot or whatever. And as far as I'm concerned, that's an opinion that can be proven wrong.

You can also say that a few thousand people voicing their opinions in a forum of public opinion, whether it be in politics or about an MMO that has millions of subscribers, are the majority. And there will be verifiable evidence that this is wrong, (even as far back as when "vocal minority" was first coined by Nixon, his approval ratings suddenly skyrocketing... numbers don't lie).

You know the best part of this whole back-and-forth? Technically speaking, it's my opinion that opinions can't be wrong. For you to tell me I'm wrong, is to suggest that opinions can be wrong, which contradicts your stance.

Seriously, you can't just go around saying that opinions can't be wrong, because they absolutely can be wrong. I don't know where this belief first started, but I'm pretty sure it came about because of society as a whole misinterpreting the simple truth that an opinion of preference or taste can't be wrong. An opinion about a verifiable, or at least testable (is that a word?) fact, however, most definitely can be wrong.

Above all else: it's absolutely pretentious for any person on the forums, or any group of people, to ever claim that they speak for everybody, or any other person, when "everybody" hasn't felt the need to speak or even silently lend their support to these people. How can you claim to speak for any group of people if you don't actually have their permission to make such a claim?

Worst of all is the fact that internet culture has taken to "protecting" their statements by claiming everything they say is an opinion, and thus anytime anybody tries to say that what they're posting is wrong, they scramble to respond with "BUT IT'S MY OPINION, OPINIONS CAN'T BE WRONG, SO HA!" despite the other person having facts to prove him veritably wrong. It's a real pet peeve of mine that so many people fall back on "But it's an opinion!" as a way of defending their statement. (hell, further research shows that publications and journalists try to defend their libel and slander by claiming it's their opinion, rather than a statement of fact... doesn't make it any less insulting!)
    Sure. What you say can be an opinion. That doesn't change the fact that I can prove it wrong.

Back to the topic at hand though: it absolutely is true that people posting on the WoW forums are a vocal minority. Blizzard didn't just pull this out of their ass. They have access to the e-mails they receive. They have access to actual internal statistics that we don't. They actually keep track of what people are saying, how many, and how often.
    They have damn good reason to come out and say "Hey, lots of people on the forums were complaining about X, but the majority of players were actually fine with X."

The GW2 forums would turn out the same way, though maybe not immediately. It is inevitable. Look at what's happened to GW2G, for example - It's the unofficial official forums, after all, and if you were to judge by the posters over there, "everybody" hates having a fee on re-allocating attribute points.
    It's obvious that this is not true.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-13 at 08:25 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The point I am making is that there's a difference between "opinion" and "preference"

You can say blue is the best color. That's an opinion, and it can't be wrong.

You can say that Rift is better than WoW. That's an opinion, and it can't necessarily be wrong (though there will be subscription numbers and profit margins and whatnot that can be used to say one is better or worse, so that's debatable in some small ways, but still technically a matter of taste and preference).

You can say that the earth isn't actually round, and that Columbus (or whoever ultimately proved it) was wrong. That's an opinion, and can be proven wrong with fact, and evidence. (according to Larynx, some people actually DO believe it's flat still!)

You can also say that the people who actually voice their opinions about something, whether it be in politics or about an MMO that has millions of subscribers, are the majority. And there will be verifiable evidence that this is wrong.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_Earth

have fun. :x

Please stop being a backseat moderator.

Please stop being a backseat moderator.
    That's my line.

And try to stay on topic guys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    On a NEW Guild Wars 2 website…
    We’re currently working on a brand new GuildWars2.com marketing site which is going to be really cool. We have a ton of neat features in the works especially for the web, kind of like how World of Warcraft has the Armory.
    http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/guil...ition-website/
    Great, I love a feature such as the armory

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I have as much a right to post here as you do
    Oh please. Get over yourself here. No one suggested this, don't make a strawman out of hay.

if people are off-topic I will tell them to post on topic, you don't have to be a moderator to appeal to people to behave properly.
    You also have the right to not read such posts. Most discussion on these forums are free form.

Oh please. Get over yourself here.

You also have the right to not read such posts. Most discussion on these forums are free form.
    Moderators constantly call people out for getting off topic. Clearly getting off topic is not appropriate for MMOC. Apparently some people - in addition to the mods - also don't like discussion getting off topic either. He's totally entitled to his opinions on this matter.

Are you suggesting that the next time a mod infracts me for getting off topic, I should tell them that they "have the right to not read such posts"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Well you did kinda suggest I shouldn't post.
    Only if your only reason to post is to be a backseat moderator.

If you actually wanted to discuss the topic of official forums, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't care either way.

I still think having an official forum is useless, seeing how GW2G already seems to have taken on this role.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

And grats on getting the thread closed because you would much rather bicker about who's correct about some inconsequential topic than attempt to get back on topic.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-03-13 at 08:54 PM.