Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If your Minecraft looks "terrible" I'd say you're doing it wrong.

With the right texture pack, a decent water shader, and a little imagination it can be quite beautiful. It's 8-bit charm in 3 dimensions.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

Quote Originally Posted by filthyguy View Post
    Why is everyone addicted to minecraft?

Terrible graphics and not much to do kind of killed it for me
    Sounds exactly like wow

Deleted
    first time I saw it I thought it looked pretty stupid. After trying alpha I found myself craving to play it over other AAA titles. After buying it, it has become my most played game of last year I think. I think it appeals to creativity that no other games do really, outside development kits and map making.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yeast View Post
    There's actually quite a bit to do in Minecraft. In fact, that's the reason why everyone is addicted to it.
    Oh really? Name something - vanilla Minecraft only, no mods of any kind - that isn't related to, "build stuff."

Keep in mind that what you name needs to be competitive for the $30 price point - why should I buy Minecraft for this feature instead of another game that features this in the same price point?

---------- Post added 2012-03-07 at 11:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    If your Minecraft looks "terrible" I'd say you're doing it wrong.

With the right texture pack, a decent water shader, and a little imagination it can be quite beautiful. It's 8-bit charm in 3 dimensions.
    Not much a fan of Sphax these days. I guess because the cobblestone is so fugly, to the point where I feel like I can't use cobblestone in construction

Water Shader Alpha is pretty awesome but I generally prefer using the GLSL shaders myself, especially if you can get HDR and glare (which are in the "beta" stage and might not work at all or might be wonky if they DO work) working right. It's even better if you use a texture pack that supports GLSL features like bumpmapping; Sphax supports it, Balea is specifically designed for it, I believe that Wind Waker texture pack also has built-in support. Minecraft does end up looking pretty nice once you're using 256x or 512x textures and bumpmapping.

It's still all based on blocks, though, and as far as I'm aware the bumpmapping doesn't apply to entities
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not, haven't played it tho, but will soon.

Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wasn't aware that was Sphax. It was just a screenshot I pulled off Google image search.
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

after you play a little it is fun. nI like multiplayer the best. It is fun but not the best game in the world.

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 02:15 PM ----------

Now that i think about it i play minecraft because my parent wont let me get games like call of duty. Shooter games are the best :P

You can improve the graphics with texturepacks. It still won't look like Rift or SWTOR, but it was never meant to anyhow.

You can add functionality to the game with mods. Hundreds, if not thousands exists.

You can join public servers and explore the game with other people.

You can build nearly whatever you want. The limit is only your imagination.

That's why people like the game. If you aren't into the above mentioned points then the game isn't for you. That's all it comes down to.

Personally, I think all the people obsessing over this game are total squares.

You can kill me if you'd like.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    I wasn't aware that was Sphax. It was just a screenshot I pulled off Google image search.
    Yup, it's Sphax. I can't figure out what the hell he's using for roofing. Brick slabs and stairs, I guess.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

If graphics are the only thing holding you back then look at some HD texture packs. After that, the only thing holding you back is your imagination and creativity. Its lego in a sandbox game. Go watch some videos of the things people have made, the amount of time and effort put into those things, its pretty astounding. Ive played off and on for maybe 4-6 months and Im nowhere near the level of skill that those people have.

Its fairly close to impossible to run out of things to do, just gotta use your imagination.

Oh really? Name something - vanilla Minecraft only, no mods of any kind - that isn't related to, "build stuff."
    Thats the entire point of the game, to build whatever you can come up with. Other things were added like the nether and ender portals, but its about mining things, and crafting them. If youre creative, you can come up with some magnificent things that take a long, long time to finish. If youre not creative, then youll build a few things here and there and think its boring.

I still have a long way to go, but this game has definitely made me think more openly about designing stuff. Just the idea that you literally start with nothing but your hands and can end up with a huge castle just seems awesome to me.

Thats not counting redstone, which I admit is too advanced for me or at least too advanced for me to bother learning. However, there is a ton of depth in redstone and if you really want something to do in the game, you will spend hours figuring our how to properly use redstone. People have made clocks, calculators, and many other things within the game just by using redstone.

On the surface minecraft seems like a very simple game and it can be that way if you want it to, but it can also become very deep.

I mean it really seems like a lot of these "minecraft is dull" threads come from people who build houses made out of dirt, put up a few torches, and think thats the end of the game.
    Last edited by Profish13; 2012-03-09 at 08:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Profish13 View Post
    If graphics are the only thing holding you back then look at some HD texture packs. After that, the only thing holding you back is your imagination and creativity. Its lego in a sandbox game. Go watch some videos of the things people have made, the amount of time and effort put into those things, its pretty astounding. Ive played off and on for maybe 4-6 months and Im nowhere near the level of skill that those people have.

Its fairly close to impossible to run out of things to do, just gotta use your imagination.

Thats the entire point of the game, to build whatever you can come up with. Other things were added like the nether and ender portals, but its about mining things, and crafting them. If youre creative, you can come up with some magnificent things that take a long, long time to finish. If youre not creative, then youll build a few things here and there and think its boring.

I still have a long way to go, but this game has definitely made me think more openly about designing stuff. Just the idea that you literally start with nothing but your hands and can end up with a huge castle just seems awesome to me.

Thats not counting redstone, which I admit is too advanced for me or at least too advanced for me to bother learning. However, there is a ton of depth in redstone and if you really want something to do in the game, you will spend hours figuring our how to properly use redstone. People have made clocks, calculators, and many other things within the game just by using redstone.

On the surface minecraft seems like a very simple game and it can be that way if you want it to, but it can also become very deep.

I mean it really seems like a lot of these "minecraft is dull" threads come from people who build houses made out of dirt, put up a few torches, and think thats the end of the game.
    Then why are there villagers that do nothing? Monsters that are not a threat? Why even bother having an Enderman dimension when it's devoid of anything useful or interesting?

Minecraft has no actual gameplay. It's not a game.

People who QQ about graphics just annoy me, Yes the graphics are old, yes to some people its boring but everyone is different. I enjoy playing hardcore as you cant die so you dont take risks :P. I play it also to build things sometimes, I still play old games like Sonic and OOT. Just because the graphics are bad to todays standards dont mean the gameplay aint good. each to there own, dont like it dont look at it, view the forum or anything. Being here and QQing about minecraft just makes you an attention whoreing troll. Go back to your cave!

beacuse minecrat is one of the best games ever made, thats why people are addicted to it

Quote Originally Posted by hellboyy View Post
    cos u can make stuff like this http://cursecraft.com/media/kalimdor8bit.png
    Never tried Minecraft and now I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to play it. Dear lord, was that made by only one person or was a team?

Quote Originally Posted by Dupin View Post
    Never tried Minecraft and now I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to play it. Dear lord, was that made by only one person or was a team?
    I believe that is a custom written program to translate minimap+height maps to MC..ness. But that still leaves hundreds of hours of work to fill it all in properly. Can't wait for the CC-WoW server to come up.

Anyway it's been said, but graphics =/= a game. And technically, voxels are far superior to these mere pixel things. If you understood the tech, you wouldn;t call it bad graphics (other than in texture, which can fixed and is deliberately left open)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Then why are there villagers that do nothing? Monsters that are not a threat? Why even bother having an Enderman dimension when it's devoid of anything useful or interesting?

Minecraft has no actual gameplay. It's not a game.
    Because in the end, those monsters and dimensions are fluff. The game is ultimately about building things, thats really what it comes down to. If building things doesnt interest you, then you wont like minecraft. But to say there is no gameplay in it is pretty ridiculous. I mean if youre comparing it to an action game or a RPG then sure, it might seem like theres no gameplay. But minecraft is unlike anything Ive ever played before and have deovted many hours to that "lack of gameplay."

The monsters arent a threat if you build some huge fortress and dont leave it. Try exploring with only the bare essentials, going through dark caves to find abandoned mineshafts, of course while playing on hard. Then tell me theres no danger, when the guy silently sneaks up on you and blows you up. The enderman dimension is there to give you a sense of closure, for those who just need to feel like they beat the game.
    Last edited by Profish13; 2012-03-10 at 04:24 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by agyieus View Post
    Personally, I think all the people obsessing over this game are total squares.

You can kill me if you'd like.
    Was that pun intended?
    Calling minecraft fans squares is actually a compliment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Profish13 View Post
    Because in the end, those monsters and dimensions are fluff. The game is ultimately about building things, thats really what it comes down to. If building things doesnt interest you, then you wont like minecraft. But to say there is no gameplay in it is pretty ridiculous. I mean if youre comparing it to an action game or a RPG then sure, it might seem like theres no gameplay. But minecraft is unlike anything Ive ever played before and have deovted many hours to that "lack of gameplay."

The monsters arent a threat if you build some huge fortress and dont leave it. Try exploring with only the bare essentials, going through dark caves to find abandoned mineshafts, of course while playing on hard. Then tell me theres no danger, when the guy silently sneaks up on you and blows you up. The enderman dimension is there to give you a sense of closure, for those who just need to feel like they beat the game.
    What? Monsters aren't a threat at any point in the game. You can easily LOS skeletons because they have no fucking AI, zombies are NEVER a threat, and creepers are only a threat if you're playing some music from Pandora or Winamp over the game and don't hear their footsteps. I've never been killed by a creeper. Not once, not ever. Why? Because I'm not a fucking moron.

The game ceases to be a threat before the end of the first full day. The monsters don't actively seek you out, can't do ANYTHING about walls or structures, and while zombies can now break down doors... hey, it just means they all have to file into a chokepoint and fight you one by one. Well, they would if they actually sought you out.

You can find diamonds - the highest-grade mineral in the game - in less than an hour of starting a map. You can have a full set of iron armor and an iron sword in less than 30 minutes. Where's the challenge?

What's the point of building a castle with a complex barbican structure and multiple portcullises (portculli?) and a nice, tall wall if there's never any threat of being attacked or any reason to have it? I can make a mud hut with an iron door and be completely and totally safe from any and all monsters; or I can just go to sleep in a bed and avoid them entirely!

Exploring cave systems gets boring because there's no tension. Monsters are never anything more than mildly irritating (certainly never threatening), and it's not like one cave isn't exactly like all the others. Once you've seen one cave, or ravine, or abandoned mineshaft, or stronghold... you've seen all of them. Because there's no actual gameplay.

I've already said what I think Minecraft is and I got banned for it, because it's pretty much true. I won't bother repeating it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikehuntz View Post
    If Minecraft had better graphics and so on...I wouldn't play it...the graphics and such they have now are perfect for it. And not much to do? You must hate Lego's then and if you hate Lego's well then...your childhood wasn't great
    So because you didn't like construction as a child your childhood wasn't great?
    You're one stupid guy my friend.