Post How to survive the FIRST NIGHT! (Newbie guide to the First Night)

Yeah! You got Minecraft, and you're all ready to go! OR ARE YOU? Here is what your going to need to accomplish by sundown!

#1: Shelter
    By nighttime, all the demons of the night rise from the ground and attack! You're going to need a temporary shelter. So get to punching those trees! Open your inventory by pressing E, and put that Wood in to get Wooden Planks. Use those planks to make a small shelter, and viola! Not the best house, but it will have to do. Craft a door (See #2: Crafting) and plop that in a available space. You're going to want some light, what little there is.

#2: Crafting
    While your punching trees and getting those Wooden Planks, put those Planks in a Two-by-two formation in your mini-crafting area, and you've created a Crafting Table, the 1st important item your going to need in Minecraft! Take two planks and put them in a line formation, and you made four sticks! Well, what do you do with sticks? Why, you make a PICKAXE! A wooden one, to be exact. Plop a Crafting Table down, and Right-Click it. A bigger Crafting area is availible, and with that space, place the sticks in the middle and Bottom of the crafting Area, and fill the top row with Wooden Planks, and take that Pickaxe and start mining coal and stone! While mining, be sure not to venture too deep into the Cavern, or else you may get lost. Also, use the coal you collect to create torches! How do you do that? Go to a crafting area, and put sticks under coal, and take the torches! Now you can light up dark areas. This will be important in the first night. Next up, use the Stone to craft a Stone Pickaxe. To make a stone Pickaxe, do the same thing you did to make a Wooden Pickaxe, but replace the planks with Stone. Its getting dark, so you might want to hurry up home! While on your way home, kill some sheep to collect their wool. When at home, craft a bed by placing three wool over three wooden planks. It doesn't matter what color they are, just make one, and fall asleep until the morning, when all the monsters are burned by the hot rays of the sun.
    To craft a door, simply place three wooden planks in each Column, leaving the right column empty.

#3: Defence
    Lets say its too late to make shelter, you lost your home, or any other crazy situation where you can't get home and your stuck in the endless waves of Zombies, Skeletons and Creepers! What do you do? Craft a SWORD! Depending on your situation, you can craft a Wooden/Stone Sword by placing 1 stick under 1 Wooden plank/Stone under another Wooden Plank/Stone. Use that Sword to fend off the Creatures of the night, and be sure not to die! When you die, you lose EVERYTHING! You can easily keep some stuff by crafting a Chest, by putting Wooden Planks in a Circle in your Crafting Table, leaving the Middle open. You can make it larger by simply crafting another Chest, and placing next to the original Chest. Be careful, Creepers don't burn in the sun, and they can easily sneak up on you in the morning and explode you, and your shelter!

#4: Food.
    Another thing you'll need is Food! Three animals that drop meat are Pigs, Cows, and Chickens. kill them, and take their meat. But wait! You weren't thinking of eating raw meat, were you? You're going to need to cook it. You'll need a Furnace. You make a Furnace the same way you make a Chest, but replace the Planks with Stone. Place it down, and put the Meat on the top square and some Coal on the bottom square. If you haven't gotten coal yet, Wood will do just fine for now. When your down, save it for when your really hungry, or eat it now, to regain your Hunger.

And just like that, your all prepared! Hope this helped!
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

I always liked the yogscast's version, though I suppose a lot of stuff is out of date, like this was way before hunger.

one thing I'll add is the ability to make charcoal from trees, putting log blocks in a furnace. one of those on top of a stick = torches without finding coal. If you can't get torches by the first day, your house will be very dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Cool guide. Now i know what to tell my friend who can't play this game 4 shit lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just make a dirt hut with enough space for you, seal the entryway, and go afk for 10 minutes. Grats, you survived the first night!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Its easier to dig a hole in the ground and cover it back up

Digging a hole and hiding = The Noob way.
    Lok'Tar Ogar! For the Horde!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

I always liked the yogscast's version, though I suppose a lot of stuff is out of date, like this was way before hunger.

one thing I'll add is the ability to make charcoal from trees, putting log blocks in a furnace. one of those on top of a stick = torches without finding coal. If you can't get torches by the first day, your house will be very dark.
    It's good at the beginning, then it started to morph to more story-driven than info-driven.

Anyway, once you get your security set up I advise you do some surveying the second day. If you can find a village nearby, I advise you move your base there and work on growing the city.

In 1.2 villages got Iron Golem defenders if they grow large enough. Iron Golems pretty much one-shot any enemy (except neutral mobs (enderman is an exception) and creepers) around it. So expand the city asap. City population is based on the number of doors divided by 3.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy21 View Post
    I agree with you
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolguy21 View Post
    The question was how to survive the first night. Digging a hole and filling it back up is the easiest and safest method.

Granted, you don't even need to hide the first night. Make a stone sword and farm the monsters for XP and drops.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Paulsoaresjr how to guides > any others. Most detailed and expansive, and not with the "funny" jokes of Yogscast. (Seriously.. they are as funny as TB, which is.. not at all.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    Paulsoaresjr how to guides > any others. Most detailed and expansive, and not with the "funny" jokes of Yogscast. (Seriously.. they are as funny as TB, which is.. not at all.)
    That's your opinion. I find them both to be very entertaining, as do many others.
    "In life, I was raised to hate the undead. Trained to destroy them. When I became Forsaken, I hated myself most of all. But now I see it is the Alliance that fosters this malice. The human kingdoms shun their former brothers and sisters because we remind them what's lurking beneath the facade of flesh. It's time to end their cycle of hatred. The Alliance deserves to fall." - Lilian Voss

Pretty good guide. Will definitely help some noobs out there :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bh4EexJO4I

This.

I don't need to say any more, just watch it, the series, everything.
    Do it because you want to, not because you have to.