Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

What you do not like about Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2 is looking to be one of the best MMO's to ever come out. The hype is on a unreal scale, even more after press beta. We have heard nothing but good things from the press, so my question is: What do you not like about GW2?

For me it is the following,

1) As of now not being able to switch my skills around on my hot bar. It is very annoying to have my main attack to be signed to #1. Yes I can go to keybindings and resign the bottons, but it is very annoying to have to go threw such trouble to just have a skill were I want it. Game breaker? I do not know befor I play the game.

2) Not being able to duel other players with out making a Hot join private match. Not a game breaker just annoying.

3) No trading to other players. This just seems silly not to have. Agin just very annoying not a game breaker.

4) Having a respec cost now. To me this takes away alot of the freedom Anet showed me threw out the years. People want to say it takes away the feel of a permanent choice. But the fact you can respec at all kills that feeling, plus the permanent choice comes from the class one plays. It governs our skills, armor, weapons and we can not change that unless we as a player reroll a new toon. This can be a game breaker for me because it feels like any other MMO out that tells me how I can play and how I can not play.

5) The dumbing down of levels. Their old system let us place X attributes each level to what we saw fit. Now it feels like any other MMO and places these points for us. Yes traits now incress attributes that are linked to their line, but that seems very counter productive and agin forces you into a play style you may not want. Like the engineer for example, if they want major traits that affect turrets they have to take on defence attributes which may not be that player play style. This can be a game breaker for me agin taking away the freedom of the players.

These are the things I do not like about GW2 and a couple can be a game breaker. I will however pick up the game and try it out, because it does look like a amazing game I could have alot of fun with. Just worried it will turn out like all the other MMO's of the EQ era, except for a better "quest" system and the fact playing together does not harm ones game play. Yes I know there is more to GW2 but to me those are the key points.

Respecing has always cost money. So I mean this one for me is a no brainer... if you could respec on the fly at any time everyone could just respec to whatever build was currently "On top." or used by the best guy. So noone would have to experiment and build their own niche.
    I personally find the other things... besides number 1 annoying. But they are not game breakers. If swtor can survive with their terrible AH then this game will be fine. The word "Game Breaker" is such a dirty and useless word imo.

15+ Year Old Account
    Though I can't find it with the search function at the moment, there was another thread just like this about a month or 2 ago. Was just a thread to bitch and moan in and was also flamebait for trolls. Ended up getting locked. I really don't anticipate much from this thread to be quite honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can really only agree with 1 and 3, but I don't think 3 is going to be a problem since you can just mail the items to people.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Purely aesthetic, I don't like how most of the models move especially the character models, they don't look very fluid almost bordering on rigid. It's 2012 and I would have expected something better.
    Last edited by mmoc25957a140e; 2012-03-07 at 09:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've already had this thread, and it turned into 50 pages of Wow fans seeing the thread in the recent list on the front page and using it as a infraction-free pass to bash GW2. Let's not do this again.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It probably won't be able to run on my current system.

Deleted
    Respec fee, armor repair mechanic and crafting, though I'll just avoid the last one, so it doesn't bother me.

@Warthonia This thread was not made to start a flame war of any kind. I asked what it is "you" do not like about guild wars 2. I stated what I find annoying and things that could be game breaking to "me" not anyone else. If there is nothing you find about Guild Wars 2 to be bad then that is great.

It does look to be one of the best MMO's to come out and I wish it the best because I am tired of the same old game coming out every 2-3 years.

Hard question. Probably the fact that there will be a lot of people in both Beta and on release who think it's just another WoW clone. I still have nightmares from Rift beta.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
    Respec fee, armor repair mechanic and crafting, though I'll just avoid the last one, so it doesn't bother me.
    O_o

Gamers these days...
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Hard to judge because so few have played the game. What we might think of as a problem on paper can't be said definitively to be an actual problem till play.

I will say these elements concern me--

1. Degree of UI modification;
    I suspect we will have the basic options of GW1. While welcomed in it's time is a bit out dated/limited to what I am used to and prefer in games since.

2. Lack of dungeon zones;
    My primary interest is dungeoneering & playing in closed groups. 8 dungeons seems rather small with no other closed group content revealed.

3. Mechanical complexity of encounters;
    Most of my enjoyment in an MMO's combat system is the mechanics of encounters- i.e. "the boss puzzle". Slightly concerned fluidity in group roles will limit the encounter dynamics in dungeons and highly skeptical open world encounters will have non-objective based mechanics. An open raiding scenario often devolves to chaos even with rigidity of roles in place. Though I am less bothered by this for DEs- it's mostly fine for public encounters, IMO. In what is loosely termed organized PVE I wonder if the encounters will be up to logistical & strategic snuff vs. what looks to be very action game, erm, gameplay.

4. Too much PVP focus;
    Have yet to play a game made better by two desperate systems in design. MMOs of the past few years that followed the EQ/Diku model got away with parallel PVP/PVE due to strong tiered PVE. GW2 [as far as we know] will not have any exclusivity above those 5 man dungeons. What worries me just as well is a strong sense many class skills & dynamics were created with PVP use as a primary concern-- might be an issue depending on my #3.

5. Frequency of major content additions;
    I don't play World of Warcraft. So I don't wait months for new game features and high end PVE updates. Eager to see if Anet are capable of cranking out high end content and major features on a 40-60 day schedule.

Again, really hard to say I "do not like" these things. By a hard reading of the OP, I guess the things I dislike are the ugly UI and limitations on costume gear.

@Nest I do agree with you, I am very tired of clones. I do not think this will happen with GW2, as far as me liking it in the end is anther story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    8 dungeons seems rather small with no other closed group content revealed.
    Technically 32.

No beta key yet!

Gawd dangit!
    Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.

Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    5) The dumbing down of levels. Their old system let us place X attributes each level to what we saw fit. Now it feels like any other MMO and places these points for us. Yes traits now incress attributes that are linked to their line, but that seems very counter productive and agin forces you into a play style you may not want. Like the engineer for example, if they want major traits that affect turrets they have to take on defence attributes which may not be that player play style. This can be a game breaker for me agin taking away the freedom of the players.
    Actually I feel the exact opposite about this. What is the point of increasing attributes independently of traits if certain attributes are optimal for certain traits? Would you rather have players select attributes and traits that don't mesh together just because they want to or can? Seems to me like that would be setting people up for failure. The choices you are able to make should all benefit your character to some extent instead of having the capacity to be detrimental.

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is looking to be one of the best MMO's to ever come out. The hype is on a unreal scale, even more after press beta. We have heard nothing but good things from the press, so my question is: What do you not like about GW2?

For me it is the following,

1) As of now not being able to switch my skills around on my hot bar. It is very annoying to have my main attack to be signed to #1. Yes I can go to keybindings and resign the bottons, but it is very annoying to have to go threw such trouble to just have a skill were I want it. Game breaker? I do not know befor I play the game.
    Actually, if you think about their skill system, "not being able to switch skills" is kind of a necessity. Every class has different skills for each weapon, with two weapon swapping sets, and specific underwater abilities for each set + environmental items you can pick up and use... The skill system so so dynamic and interchangeable, that aspects of it need to be similar. You want you're main attack to always be the same button or you would have to rearrange your skill bar every time they swapped...which as i understand it, is going to be ALL THE DAMN TIME.

So it makes sense that you have to change keybinds for skill slots, instead of rearrange skills. Because if your utility button and your main attack button are always in a different location every time you change a weapon to fit the situation...you will only balls yourself up.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Technically 32.
    Only if you also count LFR, Normal, and Heroic versions of all the WoW dungeons as different...

4 difficulties of the same dungeon does not make it 4 different dungeons...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Only if you also count LFR, Normal, and Heroic versions of all the WoW dungeons as different...

4 difficulties of the same dungeon does not make it 4 different dungeons...
    Actually, the more difficult dungeon modes have more content/events in them, so it kind of does. It's not like switching on Heroic mode and fighting stuff with more HP/skills.
    "The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." - Aristotle

They could place a system in that remembers your key mapping so when you swap a weapon it places your key lay out as you had it. I am not sure how much trouble this would be as I am not a programer but I have seen it done in a few games.
    Last edited by zeelic; 2012-03-07 at 10:40 PM.