Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

good ol dayz of world PVP.

does anyone else miss the good ol' days of wow when you would actually go on adventures through the world (excluding to level up) and run into other people doing the same friend or foe. I know i sure do I hope WoW Mop brings that back into the game i had my best times getting into massive guild battles then hoping onto the server forums for the arguments. But sadly now in wow you don't even see other clan members nor people from the other race if your server is anywhere near one sided. recently read a blue post that stated they wanted to bring players back out of org and stormwind for these reasons. Just hope they revive world PvP hate how once you hit 85 your endgame experience is in your main city till you get instantly ported to your raid or BG. There is no reason to be out in the world no more because no one has any time for World PvP or even look for fights because everyone is to busy Riding on their dragons safe and sound while they do the little farming for node as possible or stay safe in stormwind/org where no harm can come to them. i guess waht im asking for is to bring the adventure back along with the world PVP.

Well, Blizz already tried to revive World PvP quite a few times:

- Tower ruins in EPL
    - LOLSand in Silithus
    - Halaa etc.
    - Wintergrasp
    - Tol Barad

Needless to say, a lobotomized snail could've predicted their failure in every case; which raises the question of whether Blizz actually wants World PvP. After all, it wouldn't work on most servers due to massive population imbalances (they'd have to cluster servers) and it would result in a deluge of QQ because it's a much harsher environment than those little sandboxes.

Deleted
    One of the biggest problems about World PvP and forcing people to do it right now are the Sever Populations. What's the point if you have 90% Horde and maybe 10% Alliance? My biggest fear is that when MoP hits and if we really can't fly in the new zones at first that the situation becomes unbearable for the Alliance around here. We really have few of them left and running into one of them is like Easter and Christmas fell on the same day. One most likely would've more luck to find all those rare mobs then to find any Alliance around here.

And the worst part is, character transfers away from our server (because it used to be highly populated on both sides) and faction change were the reason we don't have any Alliance left. So no more world PvP for me. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    My biggest fear is that when MoP hits and if we really can't fly in the new zones at first that the situation becomes unbearable for the Alliance around here.|
    i know a number of pvpers on my heavily horde dominated server who went alliance just so they would have more people to gank.

i love world pvp personally, a lot more then like arena or rbgs. i never hesitate to ( attempt to) kill some one flagged, however i think what killed a lot of world pvp was:

a. the queue system. no more camping outside of bg portals and the associated massacres of tarren mill/southeshore
    b. overtuned guards. these days i'm hesitant to pvp in TB because the guards can pretty much 2 shot me. thats no fun.
    c. lack of sustainable hubs with engaging dailies. i had a ton of fun in QD. i had a decent amount of fun on the molten front. however no one does the molten front anymore since its rewards have been surpassed in the new tier. it tried very very hard to be QD, but it failed.

on my server one of the top guilds has been trying to incite more world pvp by hosting gladiator games in the gurubashi arena with a firehawk/firelord title as the reward for the winner. even after the contest is long over there are people still running around stranglethorn ganking each other
    Last edited by kosechi; 2012-03-08 at 11:31 AM.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kosechi View Post
    i know a number of pvpers on my heavily horde dominated server who went alliance just so they would have more people to gank.
    The main reason why I created my Alliance rogue even after swearing several times that I would "NEVAR EVUR!!!!" play Alliance. But honestly it was worth it. I remember back when the whole Thrall Questchain for the Firelands came out. And I simply stayed in Uldum for several days killing people all day long. I think I got hundreds of kills from World PvP.
    Sadly there aren't any people on Alliance side to play PvP with aside from the twinks of friends/guildmates. And more and more Alliance are quitting. So when I want to have BoE and other stuff for a reasonable prize I always have to transfer it from Horde needing the help of someone else.

But the joy of finally being able to kill all those gimps I had to endure for all those years. Also I came to the conclusion that the side with more players also has a far higher rate of incompetent players, winning team joiners and kids. ;(

Deleted
    the best thing about classic pvp -> spontaneous and was just for FUN

southshore vs taureen mill.

i would be willing to bet that if alliance stil had southshore on some realms this fight in cataclysm would stil be happening as something for people to do while they waited for a raid to start or a que to pop.

yeah, we all miss it. but its not going to change, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    One of the biggest problems about World PvP and forcing people to do it right now are the Sever Populations. What's the point if you have 90% Horde and maybe 10% Alliance? My biggest fear is that when MoP hits and if we really can't fly in the new zones at first that the situation becomes unbearable for the Alliance around here.
    Exactly this. The QQ was strong as fuck when Cata was first released..imagine how it will be with MoP's new design and no flying mounts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mican17 View Post
    Exactly this. The QQ was strong as fuck when Cata was first released..imagine how it will be with MoP's new design and no flying mounts.
    On severs with a faction imbalance like mine the QQ was actually justified. Sadly Blizzard doesn't seem to care all that much. Since they don't do a thing to actually fix the problem. Hell if I had leveled anything but an Stealth Class I think I would've raged quite often. My server is one of the more crowded ones, and nearly all of them are Horde now! Thanks for that Blizzard...

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, world PvP, i remember it like it was yesterday..oh yeh, it was i bet most of the people commenting about how its dead, dont actualy go out in search of it, or do anything to organize it, i love world PvP, and you find alot of people do, post some messages up on a forum your realm uses, get a Halaa battle going or something, there is always world PvP to be had on the realms ive played at least, just put a little effort into it, and it will happen

I find myself having to corpse-camp some poor level 35ish guy in STV for 20mins until he logs on his main or calls for backup does World PvP start.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

yea there is nothing like world pvp. Sad that there seems to be no hope for it. But i still believe Blizz can turn things around even though they have tried so many times but im sure they will find a great solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    For nostalgia's sake, yeah. I miss it.

Then I remember trying to get my IQD dailies done, and being camped by a raid group of guildies with no other purpose but to camp the Isle and everyone on it. And then I remember why I'm glad that shit's done with.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSoup View Post
    For nostalgia's sake, yeah. I miss it.

Then I remember trying to get my IQD dailies done, and being camped by a raid group of guildies with no other purpose but to camp the Isle and everyone on it. And then I remember why I'm glad that shit's done with.
    And then you remembered why you rolled on a PvP server. Or that you could play on a PvE server. Oh wait...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    And then you remembered why you rolled on a PvP server. Or that you could play on a PvE server. Oh wait...
    And then I reminded some asshat on MMO-Champ about how the flagging system works, regardless of what server type you play on.

And then I reminded him that "oh wait" statements are almost as useless as the poster themselves.

Grow up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    (they'd have to cluster servers)
    There's lag in the capital city of every heavily populated's dominant faction.
    Sitting Mal'Ganis and Illidan on top of each other wouldn't create less lag.

But DAoC is an awesome game. That's why almost no one plays it anymore.

Unlike chess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Biston View Post
    There's lag in the capital city of every heavily populated's dominant faction.
    Sitting Mal'Ganis and Illidan on top of each other wouldn't create less lag.
    That's not an insoluble problem. Just put all the NPCs like Transmog, Reforging etc. in the other capitals as well for a start. Players clog up SW/Org because they aren't given any incentive to go elsewhere. Ironically, decent World PvP would be such an incentive.

But DAoC is an awesome game. That's why almost no one plays it anymore.

Unlike chess.
    Actually there was quite a lot of 8v8 still going on until maybe half a year ago. The reason it got quiet is mainly because the game is very old; and everyone is running the same group setup by now. There aren't many capable opponents left, either. If I were to assemble a group again we'd just never die and probably keep switching realms and group setups due to boredom.

Yea, the best time ive ever had on this game was my 3s team basically raiding STV back in bc. Ending up being 3v7 (which we won) and after a few hours like 6v11 (which we also won, probably why it was so fun).

Ive said it before somewhere, it would be so easy to bring back world pvp. All they have to do is create a different point reward for bgs, so have bg points, arena/rbg points, and honor. Honor would only be gained from kills in non-bgs/arenas, and it could give different pvp rewards like different trinkets or set gear with different stats, pvp enchants, whatever.

Throw a few features like ability to portal to a zone which is under attack once an hour, allow people in any zone to talk in a global defense channel that the people in major cities can see (this might already exist I dont remember), auto-create and invite people to world-pvp raids when they join a zone.

There is a LOT of World PVP at the Goldshire Inn on the Moon Guard server. *Not joking.

Deleted
    Crossroads in the barrens, that was good times. Could spend hours there on my ally with a few other people killing and getting killed by Horde players.
    World pvp is something vanilla and tbc (sunwell patch) succeeded with. All tbc and vanilla haters cant argue with that.