View Poll Results: Do you think we will see a return to Dodge Leather for Tanking Leather-wearers?

Voters
67. This poll is closed
  • Yes.

22 32.84%
  • No.

41 61.19%
  • Maybe... and I'll explain why.

4 5.97%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Return of Dodge Leather?

Searched for a thread regarding this, couldn't find one.

The thought occurred to me weeks, perhaps now months ago. By separating Feral Druids into now Feral and Guardian specializations, along with the introduction of the Leather-wearing Monk, do you think we'll see a return to Dodge Leather?

I did a full breakdown of what each role and class wears, and it appears Agility Leather will be overloaded with potential recipients.

(I understand some of these like DPS Warlock/Mage/Hunter/Rogue are kind of redundant)

Int Cloth - DPS Warlock, DPS Mage, (DPS Priest) - 2 (3)
    Int Spirit - DPS Priest, Healing Priest - 2
    Agi Leather - DPS Druid, Tank Druid, DPS Monk, Tank Monk, DPS Rogue - 5 (3 excluding the 2 tank classes listed)
    Int/Spirit Leather - DPS Druid, Healing Druid, Healing Monk - 3
    Agi Mail - DPS Hunter, DPS Shaman - 2
    Int/Spirit Mail - DPS Shaman, Healing Shaman - 2
    Str Plate - DPS Warrior, DPS Paladin, DPS DK - 3
    Tank Plate - Tank Warrior, Tank Paladin, Tank DK - 3
    Int/Spirit Plate - Healing Paladin - 1
    Dodge Leather - Tank Druid, Tank Monk - 2

What are everyone's thoughts regarding a return to Dodge Leather items for these now 2 roles?

Holy Paladins are the only wearer of Intellect Plate, so 2 roles/classes on a 'new' style of armor isn't THAT much of a stretch.

Poll in the works, I have to run to get more beer.

Deleted
    Make bears and panda tanks weak int/spirit plate armor, problem solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seriously doubt it... druid/monk tanks will pprobably continue to use the same AGI leather as druids do presently. Blizz has been trying to get away from gear that's only good for one spec (thus the spirit-> hit talents for boomkin and elemental, so they share gear with their class's healing spec) and I just can't see them suddenly going back to a model they abandoned.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Converting from Spirit -> Hit is one thing, because that's only one stat being traded for the other while the rest (haste, crit, mastery) are still usable. Besides for Spirit gear on cloth/leather/mail, only 1 class have use for it, priest/druid/shaman respectively. So it's not that far of a stretch to make players of the same class but different specs to share items.

On the other hand, Rogues will be competing with leather tanks. Then there's wasted stats since crit/haste particularly aren't the most ideal of stats for a tank, and crit was only worked into bears because they don't have other tanking stats available. Now that there will be another leather tank, I think that's reason enough to finally have actual tank leather and possibly move bears away from crit and more into actual tanking stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like it, it would make sense with Bears getting a spec solely for tanking, and the introduction of Brewmaster Monks, but IIRC a blue said that they would NOT be adding Tanking Leather, or Tanking polearms (which seems REALLY stupid, as now the only people using spears will be Feral/Guardians and Monks... so why not add tanking ones?)

I'm guessing Monks are going to be along a similar line to druids for tanking, +armor stance, and then reforging Crit/Haste to Dodge/Parry.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Blizzard has been slowly getting rid of stats on gear that only 1 or 2 classes use out of the many that use that armor type. This can be seen with the new change to make hunters use expertise so they dont have to make gear differently for hunters and enhancement shamans. Making gear more homogenous is a good thing since it will lead to less wasted gear if the class that uses it is not in the raid. It also leads to smaller loot tables so you have a better chance of seeing your gear drop.

As for spell plate I like it because I have no competition from other classes on my Holy Pally but I wouldnt mind if they made Unholy DK spec a ranged caster spec that also used it since I would play that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible. Savage Defense no longer proccing off of crits could point in that direction. Bears still gain rage and health from crits, though, so we'll see. Personally I don't think it will happen; Blizzard has been trying to consolidate gear, not add more new types.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unless of the tanking stance just gives you +300% armor for no reason, yes.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Unless of the tanking stance just gives you +300% armor for no reason, yes.
    Bear Form increases armor by 330%. Brewmasters will probably have the same thing.

It would make sense I suppose. As instead of having Agi leather cover cats, rogues and bears, it would now cover cats, rogues, bears, windwalkers and brewmasters. Meaning if there was dodge leather that would cover 2 tanks, more than int plate covers. If there is not dodge leather then this just expands those looking for standard Agi leather by 2 specs increasing the competition for the same set of gear. Sure there are others that cover more "specs" like non-spirit cloth (arcane, fire, frost, affliction, demonology, destruction, shadow) but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to spread agi leather out that far.

Who knows, maybe they'll change the stance to make tank leather again.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok
    Is there a term you have for being shown proof and choosing to dismiss it?
    Starting a Monk Blog; Celestial Fists: http://celestialfists.blogspot.com/
    Called Garrosh as end boss: 10/28/2011

They will have to add a new category of Leather gear because then Monks will have a matching teir set...

I'm just going to leave that here. Read as you will.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

No. As people have said before me, Blizzard wants to get away from "specialized" loot. Which is why I hope that strength gets a small rework for tanks and we'll see it converted more into avoidance, perhaps make dodge something for leather wearers (makes sense no?) and parry more the area of platies, so while druids and monks run around with 30% dodge and 0 parry (parrying them blades with bare hands uhuh), warriors, paladins and dk's have 30% parry and 0 dodge. "Absorbtion" mechanics would be similar for everyone so things are balanced. This would allow to get away from tanking plate and towards "generic" plate instead. Before you ask "what about crit on tanks?" well, considering how rage is reworked, at least for warriors it would mean they'd generate more rage through crits and haste. I have no idea how paladins nor DK's are going to work yet in Mists, so I can't really think of anything. Perhaps crits generating twice holy power and DK cooldowns working purely off of large numbers of runic power so more crits and haste = more resources for cd's? Would work..

Deleted
    if you have item A with "agi and stamina" + secondaries of hit +mastery you have an item all leaher classes can use
    if you have item B with "agi and stamina" + secondaries of Dodge and mastery -> an item almost as bad as intel plate-> only 2 spec's can use and for the other (3 rogue,1 druid,1 monk) 5 specs that could use it it's now crappy.
    it gets even worse if this was a cloak/ring/neck as now shammies and hunters won't use it either.

As random drops, I doubt we'll see dodge leather. As tier gear though, it's very possible. Druids and Monks both having full tanking specs means tier gear can be itemized as such without problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    I was reading the starting thread and i was wondering if there is a chance to have monks wearing mail,cause to have 3 classes in same armor drops and at least 5 of them in agi stuff sounds unfair for the already existed classes that share them.Mail agi is shared between 2 dps spec/classes and imo it would be quite intresting to have a mail wearing tank.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    Bear Form increases armor by 330%. Brewmasters will probably have the same thing.
    Just don't sit right with me. Bear form makes sense as you turn from a squishy elf to a BEAR.

But standing different makes you tougher?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Just don't sit right with me. Bear form makes sense as you turn from a squishy elf to a BEAR.

But standing different makes you tougher?
    Drinking heavily lets you shrug off blows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

No...I think they want to make the existing gear usable by more specs/classes...for example, making expertise usable by hunters is going to make a lot more gear available to us hunters and it will make it easier for them to give everyone a full set with options. This makes sense, as there will potentially be less gear wasted..for example if you have no druids atm in a 10 man group any leather spirit stuff goes right in the garbage can...unfortunately H pally loot will still be on a table of it's own. I guess it's possible, but to me it makes more sense without the dodge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    No...I think they want to make the existing gear usable by more specs/classes...for example, making expertise usable by hunters is going to make a lot more gear available to us hunters and it will make it easier for them to give everyone a full set with options. This makes sense, as there will potentially be less gear wasted..for example if you have no druids atm in a 10 man group any leather spirit stuff goes right in the garbage can...unfortunately H pally loot will still be on a table of it's own. I guess it's possible, but to me it makes more sense without the dodge.
    That was my point, in a nutshell. Blizz seems to be leading toward making the same gear useful to MORE class/spec combos, not LESS. However, as Jackinthegreen said, with bear druids becoming a fourth spec, we might see druid and monk tier sets with dodge - I just doubt we'll see random non-tier leather with it.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tier sets would be much nicer with a full separation of the Feral tree. I could definitely see that. Thanks again guys for the feedback. Ideas tossing around in my head demand feedback.