Page 11 of 222 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Plagued00 View Post
    Guns don't kill people. Idiots with guns kill people.
    it's a bit harder to "accidentally" kill yourself while washing your hands, for example, so the argument of "guns don't kill" is a LITTLE BIT wrong. people accidentally kill themselves all the time while cleaning their guns. so let's flip your saying around a bit, shall we?

"only idiots use guns."

Quote Originally Posted by brirrspliff View Post
    it's a bit harder to "accidentally" kill yourself while washing your hands, for example, so the argument of "guns don't kill" is a LITTLE BIT wrong. people accidentally kill themselves all the time while cleaning their guns. so let's flip your saying around a bit, shall we?

"only idiots use guns."
    Guns don't kill people is correct. Morons might accidentally kill themselves or someone else but that's not the guns fault.

A gun cannot negligently discharge itself because an inanimate object cannot be negligent.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guarantee theres more to the story and im kinda amused how people act like being black is the only one who has to watch where he walks at night. Try being a white guy walking through DC at night some time. Door swings every way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    I want to know what the student was suspended for. *

Also, it would be nice if the articles stop posting pictures of him when he was 12 years old, and stopped calling him a child.

I'm not condoning the shooter's actions by any means, but a lot of people are trying to paint the picture as "Black kid walking down the street. * White guy pulls up in a car, gets out, and shoots him in the chest. * The child had Skittles."
    Tons of details not being released. I am also disgusted by them trying to say this guy was just a child to create outrage. 17 is not a child!

To those that think the shooter was not detained and questioned:

He saw the teen and called police. Two minutes later Trayvon was on the ground, dying from a single gunshot wound. Police found Zimmerman standing nearby, a gun in his waistband and blood seeping from injuries to his nose and the back of his head.

That was Sunday, Feb. 26. Sanford police cuffed 28-year-old Zimmerman, took him to police headquarters, interrogated him then let him go.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,3967780.story
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-03-12 at 06:55 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Tons of details not being released. I am also disgusted by them trying to say this guy was just a child to create outrage. 17 is not a child!
    Legally 17 = child

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Legally 17 = child
    child n. 1) a person's natural offspring. 2) a person 14 years and under. A "child" should be distinguished from a "minor" who is anyone under 18 in almost all states.

They are a minor and under the age of majority, but they are not a child. Despite how much they want this victim to be a child, he is not.

http://law.yourdictionary.com/child
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/child
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-03-12 at 06:53 PM.
    I like sandwiches

ill admit I live in a place where if i see 3 black kids walking down the street at night I lock my door. but jesus hope this guy gets the death penalty 1 kid who didnt do anything either that or put him in jail with a black 600 pounder named buba and "insert drop the soap joke here"

child n. 1) a person's natural offspring. 2) a person 14 years and under. A "child" should be distinguished from a "minor" who is anyone under 18 in almost all states.

They are a minor and under the age of majority, but they are not a child. Despite how much they want this victim to be a child, he is not.

http://law.yourdictionary.com/child
    http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/child
    It varies I suppose.

According to the UNCRC, a child is anyone under 18. Also child support usually lasts up to the age of 18.
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-03-12 at 07:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We should be getting more details later today after the press conference.

I do not see Zimmerman getting off of anything before things are said and done. It will be very tough to prove self defense without witnesses. Really interested to hear the story behind his wounds.

Really sad story all around. Another great example of why guns are bad, especially in the hands of untrained citizens.
    I like sandwiches

Also:

"The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood in law. It is the chronological moment when a child legally ceases to be considered a minor. After attaining the age of majority, a person assumes control over their persons, actions and decisions. S/he terminates the legal control and legal responsibilities of parents or guardian. The age of majority is a legally fixed age, concept or statutory principle, which may differ depending on the jurisdiction. The age of majority may not necessarily correspond to actual mental or physical maturity of an individual."

http://minors.uslegal.com/age-of-majority/

So if you are over 14, but under 18 you are not a child. But also you have not passed into adulthood?
    Last edited by Purlina; 2012-03-12 at 07:24 PM.

Several of you misunderstood me. I'm not defending the shooter at all. What disgusts me are the people who will take advantage of this type of tragedy to make some oddball political statement that this type of violence wouldn't happen anywhere else in the world.

"Only in America, would a person of one heritage and background dislike a person of another heritage and background enough to use mortal violence"

Hatred and prejudice generated from bigotry was not invented in America. Not even guns were invented in America. I'll bet that's a shocker to many of you. Even at that, people find much, much more brutal ways to kill their fellow man all over the world each and every day, while never laying a hand on a gun.

This is not a gun control problem. This is not an America problem. This is a humanity problem. Nothing will get fixed as long as we keep getting distracted by the symptoms and periphery. What type of weapon was used? I absolutely couldn't care less. The crime is no less heinous regardless of what method one human being used to end the life of another. Where did it happen? Again, completely irrelevant. The crime is no less heinous regardless of where one human being ended the life of another human being.

If you want to argue that justice wasn't done and what impact that will have on on future, I would think you are on the right track and at least have your focus in the right place. If you come away from this story with an agenda to bash one country or bash one ethnic background then you have an agenda and you are being completely selfish. People are killed by other people in every country in the world and by people of every ethnic background. This problem is bigger then your neighborhood. It's bigger then your race. It's bigger then your country.

---------- Post added 2012-03-12 at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    So take away the guns. It's pretty logic.
    It not "logic" at all. Did you know you can kill another person without a gun? The answer is, "you can". Now that you know that what do we do next?

The American airlines are a perfect example of what happens when you focus on the instrument of destruction instead of the person carrying it out. After outlawing guns...something you thought was perfectly "logic", look where we are at now.

Lacrosse Sticks
    Tools (greater than seven inches in length)
    Aerosol
    Turpentine
    Chlorine
    Vehicle Airbags
    Gel-type candles
    Gel shoe inserts
    Snow globes

These are a very small list of examples of actual TSA banned items. Once the bad person loses access to one instrument, they find a replacement for it. Trying to ban the instrument quickly devolves to the realm of the ludicrous.

Someone who has the capacity to commit a crime or kill another human being with a gun, will still find a way to do so if there were no guns. Bad people will do bad things regardless of whether or not they have a gun. The bad person is what needs to be dealt with, not what they are carrying in their hands. We literally do not have enough time in the day to try to be the parents of every bad person constantly taking stuff out of their hands that they can use to harm others.
    Last edited by Ragedaug; 2012-03-12 at 08:04 PM.

arrest the shooter, it seems clear who it was. Case closed.

the best thing that guy can plead for is he was doing it out of vigilantism, which is still illegal. Sorry Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Do you really think it is that simple? I hope not.

Some people act like being arrested is the simple answer. Why? He was already taken in for questioning and if they felt they had enough to keep him, they would have. Some of you seem to think they can just arrest him and that is that. You can't hold anyone longer than a certain period without charges. If they had charges, he would be arrested. Even then, odds are he would make bail and be back at home anyways. So what is the problem here?

So if you are over 14, but under 18 you are not a child. But also you have not passed into adulthood?
    You are an adolescent. Still not an adult, but definitely not a child.

All semantics really, but there is a big difference between a child and a 17 year old. No idea why they show these childhood pictures other than purely trying to incite an emotional response.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-03-12 at 08:18 PM.
    I like sandwiches

Deleted

To those that think the shooter was not detained and questioned:

He saw the teen and called police. Two minutes later Trayvon was on the ground, dying from a single gunshot wound. Police found Zimmerman standing nearby, a gun in his waistband and blood seeping from injuries to his nose and the back of his head.

That was Sunday, Feb. 26. Sanford police cuffed 28-year-old Zimmerman, took him to police headquarters, interrogated him then let him go.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,3967780.story
    17 is still basically a child. I already figured him to be that age anyway. Atleast the police did take Zimmerman into custody, that's a good sign. The whole thing is a little bit dodgy, and now we'll never know for sure who was in the right when these two encountered each other.

The problem is George Zimmerman called the police and then went out to confront Trayvon Martin. All he had do to was wait for the police....

Did he even bother to ask around and check if anyone knew the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I am very glad people like you do not run our judicial system.

"It seems to be clear to me. Arrested. The end."

Terrible.

It varies I suppose.

According to the UNCRC, a child is anyone under 18. Also child support usually lasts up to the age of 18.
    Legal terms aside, in the article, the word "child" is used to generate hype. It sounds worse. Most normal people do not call a 17 year old a child, but if you want to increase their victimization, then you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalador View Post
    I never knew neighborhood watches were armed. I always thought the purpose was to spot something suspicious and be able to alert the authorities immediately. All he had to do was ask the young man what he was doing and even if the kid answered sarcastically or ignored him it wouldn't have called for a bullet in the chest. Fuck that guy, I hope he goes to a federal fuck you in the ass jail, because the second the prison population finds out he shot an unarmed 17 year old black kid, he's fucked. I bet they shove skittles up his asshole until he shits in rainbox colors.
    This has nothing to do with the case, but in most prisons in the US they have gangs for all sorts of guys. Rascists, rapists, pedophiles, murders etc, so this guy would most likely join the "white racist" gang if he got in prison. I haven't been to prison, but have seen quite a few documentaries about it. Sucks that pricks like this can get protection in prison, but atleast serving time in prison is bad.

One day I will live in a world where people take the time to look up more information rather than reading a few snips of a news article.

You have a situation where for the past few months homes have been broken into in this neighborhood. You have a black teenager who was sent to live with his dad and stepmother because he was suspended from school for a week, (most week long suspensions in school are for fighting.) You have the neighborhood watch captain doing his job...a person who he has never seen before walking around at night, calls the police. Also please note that this isn't the first time somebody had called the police about suspicious people only for the police to show up late and not do anything.

This person called the police and decided to follow the teen to see what he was up to till police arrived.

This is where the info gets fuzzy because the full reports haven't been released yet. But going from what has been released so far I'm going to guess the events and people can feel free to pick them apart.

The guy decided to try to stop the teen to talk to him about what he was doing. The teen decided that he was going to keep up his tough guy attitude as he probably has anger issues, see one week suspension from school that the family won't divulge why. The teen makes verbal threats to the guy so this raises the guys suspicion even more. The gets closer to the teen to make a citizens arrest because of the threats the teen makes (yes making threats of violence is a form of assault and you can be arrested for it.) The teen begins to assault the guy as evidence from him having a bloody nose and gashes in the back of his head and the fact that both had grass stains on them and that somebody called the police about it.

The guy now seeing as this teen is out of control decides to defend himself with his gun and fires one shot into the teen to stop the attacker. The guy stayed at the scene the whole time and was detained and released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
    One day I will live in a world where people take the time to look up more information rather than reading a few snips of a news article.

You have a situation where for the past few months homes have been broken into in this neighborhood. You have a black teenager who was sent to live with his dad and stepmother because he was suspended from school for a week, (most week long suspensions in school are for fighting.) You have the neighborhood watch captain doing his job...a person who he has never seen before walking around at night, calls the police. Also please note that this isn't the first time somebody had called the police about suspicious people only for the police to show up late and not do anything.

This person called the police and decided to follow the teen to see what he was up to till police arrived.

This is where the info gets fuzzy because the full reports haven't been released yet. But going from what has been released so far I'm going to guess the events and people can feel free to pick them apart.

The guy decided to try to stop the teen to talk to him about what he was doing. The teen decided that he was going to keep up his tough guy attitude as he probably has anger issues, see one week suspension from school that the family won't divulge why. The teen makes verbal threats to the guy so this raises the guys suspicion even more. The gets closer to the teen to make a citizens arrest because of the threats the teen makes (yes making threats of violence is a form of assault and you can be arrested for it.) The teen begins to assault the guy as evidence from him having a bloody nose and gashes in the back of his head and the fact that both had grass stains on them and that somebody called the police about it.

The guy now seeing as this teen is out of control decides to defend himself with his gun and fires one shot into the teen to stop the attacker. The guy stayed at the scene the whole time and was detained and released.
    Your story still doesn't justify the use of deadly force or any for that matter. And why are demonizing the kid in your story when Zimmerman most likely initiated contact, I would be pissed too is some random person on the street started accusing me God knows what innocent or not. The man is not a police officer and is only acting off of suspicion. He has no right to question the boy or try to apprehend him, thats what the police are paid for.

If the kid threatened they after he confronted him, then why would he move in to make a citizen's arrest. Thats throwing more fuel to the fire, almost like he wanted to bait the kid into reacted, you know because he was carrying a gun and all and already called to police. The guy violated the kids personal space, whether the kid was making verbal threats or not, its not self defense unless you are backed into a corner. In your story, the kid has a right to hit Zimmerman because Zimmerman continued to more towards him, I know I would. Its like kicking a hornets next and then getting mad at the hornets for stinging.

Then the man draws the gun and fires. Murder in whatever degree you want to call. I'm thinking 1st degree since he purposely picked a fight while being armed. He stays at the scene to try to support his bullshit story. If he fled, even the stupid detective that let him go would've had him sitting in a cell.

Quote Originally Posted by Isotope View Post

Oh no! Homes have been broken into so I must go confront some random kid while armed with a gun!

It doesn't matter if the kid hit him first. This guy went and did the EXACT opposite of what he is supposed to do as captain of the neighborhood watch. He is the adult in the situation and it's his responsibility to act like one. Instead he decided to act like a cop. This kid certainly at some point told him to stop, whether it was polite or an F you is immaterial, and if Zimmerman got in his way then he was attempting to detain the kid. In either case his persistence was at the very least harassment, making him the first person to infringe on the rights of the other. If he detained the kid, then getting his ass kicked was more than justified, if it was harassment then it wasn't legal, but certainly within the expected response of a teenager.

Regardless of what the kid did, Zimmerman initiated a dangerous situation and escalated it. He is the adult and he should know much better. Furthermore, you neglect to mention that Zimmerman has a record of being charged with resisting arrest and assaulting an officer, a background far more dubious than a one week suspension. Also, your understanding of Florida school policy is flawed. Fighting, particularly in Miami schools often ends in arrest. If nobody gets hurt it could possibly be one week. We often suspend and arrest students for extremely stupid things, like a poor girl who went to jail for a plastic butterknife in 2009 I think it was.

You are awfully quick to jump to conclusions about this kid, but Zimmerman has far more responsibility for inciting the situation, and a more dubious record. Sure he could end up being vindicated, but he at least should have been hauled to the precinct and questioned.

Also if 911 did their job they ordered him to stay away. It's protocol.
    Last edited by Primaliron; 2012-03-13 at 12:53 AM. Reason: forgot about 911 protocol.