Poll: Is political correctness good?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is political correctness good?

So, I like improper humor and I think someone getting offended by it is just not smart or wants to play victim.

What do you think about political correctness?

A brief correlated read: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/10...ensorship.html

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Political_correctness
    A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

I think it is one of the disgraces of our times.

Im sick of all this PC bullshit, its funny when someone makes a joke or w/e about gays or blacks for example its normally a straight white person who complains and fears that its harmful.

Political Correctness is exactly that, let the bloody politicians deal with all that garbage. People need to not get so butt hurt over things they think might ,maybe ,sometimes offend someone else. Sound stupid? Yeah because PC is.

PC is crap. People want to be sheltered and kept away from "the bad stuff" while they bloat on the couch and chow down TV dinners. They want to pretend that not talking about something is better than getting it into the open and having a discourse. I agree with Bukowski's sentiment from that article entirely.

To a certain degree. Most people that really care about it tend to go a bit far with it though.

In small doses and appropriate situations it is fine. Not the rabid witch hunt it has become though.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is completely retarded.

This isn't to say we don't need to speak with tact, but full blown PC is so ridiculous these days. PC almost NEVER takes context into consideration and always leads to censorship in the fear that some unknown individual *might* get offended.

Take for example, Huckleberry Finn and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Both books get repeatedly challenged in libraries for the use of the word "ni**er." Yet, they don't take into consideration the fact that when Mark Twain wrote those books, that word was not considered vulgar and to change that word would make the books a poor reflection of the time period they were written in, a period of heavy racism.

Or take Blazing Saddles, where the n-word is used all the time. Many people got offended, in spite of the fact that the word was using to satirize racist attitudes (not to mention "the Sheriff is near!" wouldn't have been as funny)

PC is ridiculous.
    Putin khuliyo

People have the right to be offended, and I have the right to offend them. Nuff 'said.

10+ Year Old Account
    Political correctness is stupid because these are the same adults who tell kids that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I hate hypocrisy.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Political Correctness is just a term used to describe the massive swing away from racism/sexism/discrimination.

It's the same as Affirmative Action.

In theory, it's the right thing to do. I don't think anybody (well, except overt racists/sexists/etc) can deny that everybody wants to be (and should be) treated with dignity and respect. However, just like anything else, we've managed to fuck this up too and turn it into a bigger deal than it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Patcarnig View Post
    People have the right to be offended, and I have the right to offend them. Nuff 'said.
    Agreed but that's not the case 99% with PC. Most of the time the person who complains and gets butt hurt isn't even offended , i hate to generalize but on the news i always see a middle aged or old white straight women complaining about what some guy said about gays, blacks or god knows what.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post

This isn't to say we don't need to speak with tact, but full blown PC is so ridiculous these days. PC almost NEVER takes context into consideration and always leads to censorship in the fear that some unknown individual *might* get offended.
    Was going to say exactly this. Context is everything.

Why cater to those who only see what offends them?

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it politicaly correct that I cant draw the pophet?
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Quote Originally Posted by Rexter2k5 View Post
    Political correctness is stupid because these are the same adults who tell kids that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

I hate hypocrisy.
    How is that hypocritical? That saying is designed to lessen the blow of name-calling/taunting for kids, because they don't understand things the way adults do.

It doesn't say that it's ok to taunt people, call them names, discriminate against them, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palliente View Post
    Political Correctness is just a term used to describe the massive swing away from racism/sexism/discrimination.

It's the same as Affirmative Action.

In theory, it's the right thing to do. I don't think anybody (well, except overt racists/sexists/etc) can deny that everybody wants to be (and should be) treated with dignity and respect. However, just like anything else, we've managed to fuck this up too and turn it into a bigger deal than it should be.
    I pretty much agree with this. Political Correctness is aimed at treating people with dignity and respect, which is good. Sometimes it goes overboard. A manhole cover doesn't need to be a personhole cover, but it's probably better for the world if people aren't throwing around racial epithets and comments specifically aimed at making people feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I think it is stupid, and it denotes political dishonesty, and hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Political Correctness is just a load of shit. You can no longer call the 'bin man' exactly that but a 'refuse collector' so as to not make their job sound more demeaning than it is...why change something after (many) years of use to something a few THINK is having a negative effect ?

Take a look at this link, yes its from The Daily Mail but this is exactly the sort of thing the bonkers people in power think is OK to get away with...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...es-diners.html

Deleted
    Political correctness is one of the worst things in my eyes.

It's only to prevent a minority from feeling hurt, while it prevents people from actually saying what they mean. In turn this leads to confusion.
    What is worse, a few people being slightly upset or the whole country being confused by what is actually meant?

It's silly, people need to grow up and and stop teaching children to be softies.

Political correctness is the reason why kids go guns blazing in there school after a couple kids call them a name or two, they can't handle it because they were taught that everyone should be nice and good to you all the time and that the world is a nice place full of roses.

And I don't mean to downplay the really crazy kids that were illegitimately bullied heavily which eventually caused them to snap etc.

(could catch mod :P)
    Last edited by dockers; 2012-03-09 at 05:03 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kivana View Post
    You can no longer call the 'bin man' exactly that but a 'refuse collector' so as to not make their job sound more demeaning than it is...why change something after (many) years of use to something a few THINK is having a negative effect ?
    That's pointless, in time 'refuse collector' will sound just as bad. We can't keep changing names for everything.