Poll: Is political correctness good?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You must act with modals and education. A joke is good, and if someone doesn't get it it's his problem.

But there's a lot of people who really seems to don't understand that there's a time to stop the jokes and be serious.

PC is just full of hypocrisy. Saying the same thing in more words doesn't change the nature of the thing or the intent of saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    You must act with modals and education. A joke is good, and if someone doesn't get it it's his problem.

But there's a lot of people who really seems to don't understand that there's a time to stop the jokes and be serious.
    The reason why people don't understand when the time to stop is because of political correctness.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell it Billy:

I wonder how many of those "not goods" are minorities, I would assume none.

Lets make a deal, if people stopped judging others because of their race and stop discriminating as well then we could stop being political correct....

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like to point out there is a difference between not being politically correct and being a bigot. There are difference between jokes and being degrading. The reason why we have those jokes is to make light of people being degrading. Not cool to call a woman a bitch, but I fine with calling a bitch a bitch.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2012-03-09 at 05:15 PM.

Deleted
    i agree with the sentiment- don't treat people differently based on gender/ethnicity/religion/sexuality/whatever, but this PC nonsense is the wrong way to go about it- it's just words. The actual words are irrelevant, it's the intentions and meanings behind them that really matter- i despise discrimination of all kinds, but the notion that there is one 'acceptable' term for a group of people and all other terms, even though they're just descriptions, are somehow offensive, is just absurd. case in point (albeit a minor one): we're not supposed to say 'policeman' or 'policewoman', we're supposed to say police officer. another example: the PC term is Caucasian, not white. It's just a description, an adjective, nothing negative is meant, so why the fuss?

10+ Year Old Account
    Take a look at this link to see more stupidity from people pandering to be more PC...

http://www.capc.co.uk/ridiculous_pol...orrectness.htm

Deleted
    That poll is way to black and white. However i voted not good because it has gotten quite ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    It is completely retarded.

This isn't to say we don't need to speak with tact, but full blown PC is so ridiculous these days. PC almost NEVER takes context into consideration and always leads to censorship in the fear that some unknown individual *might* get offended.

Take for example, Huckleberry Finn and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Both books get repeatedly challenged in libraries for the use of the word "ni**er." Yet, they don't take into consideration the fact that when Mark Twain wrote those books, that word was not considered vulgar and to change that word would make the books a poor reflection of the time period they were written in, a period of heavy racism.

Or take Blazing Saddles, where the n-word is used all the time. Many people got offended, in spite of the fact that the word was using to satirize racist attitudes (not to mention "the Sheriff is near!" wouldn't have been as funny)

PC is ridiculous.
    HAHAHAH ! I thought I was the only one that liked Blazing Saddles !

The scene whre they discover who the new Sherrif is.... AMAZING

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    HAHAHAH ! I thought I was the only one that liked Blazing Saddles !

The scene whre they discover who the new Sherrif is.... AMAZING
    Who doesn't love Blazing Saddles?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Who doesn't love Blazing Saddles?
    Some people :X

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    It is completely retarded.

This isn't to say we don't need to speak with tact, but full blown PC is so ridiculous these days. PC almost NEVER takes context into consideration and always leads to censorship in the fear that some unknown individual *might* get offended.

Take for example, Huckleberry Finn and the Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Both books get repeatedly challenged in libraries for the use of the word "ni**er." Yet, they don't take into consideration the fact that when Mark Twain wrote those books, that word was not considered vulgar and to change that word would make the books a poor reflection of the time period they were written in, a period of heavy racism.

Or take Blazing Saddles, where the n-word is used all the time. Many people got offended, in spite of the fact that the word was using to satirize racist attitudes (not to mention "the Sheriff is near!" wouldn't have been as funny)

PC is ridiculous.
    Never seen Blazing Saddles but I agree about the books. When we read the books in school, I was the only black kid in the class. I just shock my head at how awkward the other kids acted. How hard is it to just skip over a word if you find it offense, we all have the book in front of us...This wasn't your average class, we all understood the historical context of the book (on another note, no one dared read the word out loud though because their were some smart asses in the class who would try to use the book to see how far they could get with saying to word so I was ready to flip a table if the slightest condescending remark came out of one of those kids mouths). Unnecessary censorship halts progress.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Never seen Blazing Saddles but I agree about the books. When we read the books in school, I was the only black kid in the class. I just shock my head at how awkward the other kids acted. How hard is it to just skip over a word if you find it offense, we all have the book in front of us...This wasn't your average class, we all understood the historical context of the book (on another note, no one dared read the word out loud though because their were some smart asses in the class who would try to use the book to see how far they could get with saying to word so I was ready to flip a table if the slightest condescending remark came out of one of those kids mouths). Unnecessary censorship halts progress.

It's useful in certain situations, but I think we've gone completely overboard with it.

No its not good. Neither is bigotry, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    So, I like improper humor and I think someone getting offended by it is just not smart or wants to play victim.

What do you think about political correctness?

A brief correlated read: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/10...ensorship.html
    Oh yes I'm sure this will be a completely unbiased poll

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    Oh yes I'm sure this will be a completely unbiased poll
    Just because he doesn't like it, it means everyone is biased?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Just because he doesn't like it, it means everyone is biased?
    No, it means the poll is biased by including such a non-objective quote in the OP, nothing more.

It'd be like
    "Do you think Obama is a bad president"? as a poll, and then linking to a birther website or other wingnut site right underneath it.
    If OP just wants a bunch of people to chime in saying "yeah I hate PC too, grrrrrrrr!", then he should just say so.