Poll: Is political correctness good?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    HAHAHAH ! I thought I was the only one that liked Blazing Saddles !

The scene whre they discover who the new Sherrif is.... AMAZING
    Blazing Saddles is the shit.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Mel Brooks movies are the shit in general. The American Film Institute ranks 3 of his movies near the top of the best 100 comedies of all time. #6 Blazing Saddles, #11 The Producers, #13 Young Frankenstein.
    Last edited by Palliente; 2012-03-09 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    Political correctness is almost always bad, especially for people who actually care about real social progress.

Most PC stuff is only done because literally 100 people out of hundreds of millions of people whine about being offended by something. The wider population couldn't care less about the phrase "brain storm" or the word "black" being used to describe black people, but for some reason somebody alone the lines complained because they actually enjoy being offended.

Just like the Westboro baptists of this world, the PC "i'm offended by everything" crowd should be left at the fringe of politics, and should not be taken seriously by anybody.

To achieve progress we need to focus on actual shit that matters like the income gap between certain racial groups, the civil rights of groups such as gays and transexuals, etc. The outbreak of PC only serves to harm these efforts in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamerlane2 View Post
    No, it means the poll is biased by including such a non-objective quote in the OP, nothing more.

It'd be like
    "Do you think Obama is a bad president"? as a poll, and then linking to a birther website or other wingnut site right underneath it.
    If OP just wants a bunch of people to chime in saying "yeah I hate PC too, grrrrrrrr!", then he should just say so.
    Oh come on my opening post was not part of the poll itself and no different from the personal opinion that everyone else wrote, it was just the first one and including the rationale that led me to question others.
    I expect people to know better then to be influenced by the link I have posted and I'm quite sure I would have been in minority had I asked your Obama question.

Quote Originally Posted by twiddle-dee View Post
    I wonder how many of those "not goods" are minorities, I would assume none.
    Don't be so sure about that, I know a black guy who just won't stop making jokes about himself being black, honestly he's quite annoying after a while.

I've never seen Blazing Saddles, looks like I should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Blazing Saddles.
    Greatest movie of all time

On topic, Political correctness needs to go. Life's too short to get offended by everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Greatest movie of all time

On topic, Political correctness needs to go. Life's too short to get offended by everything.
    /Highfive

why u break my hand?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    Oh come on my opening post was not part of the poll itself and no different from the personal opinion that everyone else wrote, it was just the first one and including the rationale that led me to question others.
    I expect people to know better then to be influenced by the link I have posted and I'm quite sure I would have been in minority had I asked your Obama question.
    Oh alright, I was just being grumpy, sorry

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not quite so black and white.

A world saturated with a PC culture that leaves no room for expression of any type is just as bad as an anti-PC culture where there is no respect or sensitivity.

It's all about moderation...people shouldn't be super sensitive, but it's unreasonable to ask people to just take insults and shrug them off.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

its good to a point but we passed thta point back in 99, everything now is just lame political stunts branded as political correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

A world saturated with a PC culture that leaves no room for expression of any type is just as bad as an anti-PC culture where there is no respect or sensitivity.

It's all about moderation...people shouldn't be super sensitive, but it's unreasonable to ask people to just take insults and shrug them off.
    True, the problem is too many people take EVERYTHING as an insult.

10+ Year Old Account

I wish there were a political party in the US called the Centrist Party or the Moderate Party. I'm tired of everything being either one extreme or the other. Doesn't it make a bit more sense to take the good ideas from either side and ditch the bad?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

yes, but we are currently living in a society of OVER political correctness. In addition people can't seem to separate comedy from serious intent.

Fireman? WRONG THEY CAN BE WOMEN TOO RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE YOU MUST HATE WOMEN
    Mailman? WRONG THEY CAN BE WOMEN TOO RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE YOU MUST HATE WOMEN

etc... etc...

No way man. This PC bullshit has gone way too far. You can't say anything because you might offend someone now.

Last edited by Hedleyazg; 2012-03-09 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I wish there were a political party in the US called the Centrist Party or the Moderate Party. I'm tired of everything being either one extreme or the other. Doesn't it make a bit more sense to take the good ideas from either side and ditch the bad?
    The problem is that Americans don't have a common idea.

Take just about any social issue. Try to find a middle ground that everyone can accept. It's not easy.

Take taxation -- that's another hard one, although probably easier to find a middle ground.[COLOR="red"]
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account

Take just about any social issue. Try to find a middle ground that everyone can accept. It's not easy.

Take taxation -- that's another hard one, although probably easier to find a middle ground.[COLOR="red"]
    Not everyone has to accept it. I don't accept everything the Republicans say or the Democrats say either. I'd much rather know that a candidate thinks through an issue and comes to a reasoned conclusion, though, instead of a kneejerk reaction to extreme "values."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

You can't please everyone, you never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    You can't please everyone, you never will.
    This, and it's not limited to the US.

having a bit of sensitivity and respect for those around you is a good thing for society. PC is a false, massively overdone caricature of that ideal, and not terribly good for society imo

10+ Year Old Account
    Only when appropriate. Otherwise, I am sick and effing tired of people being cry babies. GTFOver it.

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    No way man. This PC bullshit has gone way too far. You can't say anything because you might offend someone now.

Awesomeness.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card