1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Random matching DotA1 or DotA2 and you're virtually guaranteed to have at least one troll on your team every game, you will be flamed from level 1 no matter what you do. Go 10-0, you're flamed for being in the wrong lane, for not warding, for not counter warding, for stealing farm even if you're not even attacking, the list goes on. I have never seen a group of people with a bigger list of excuses for their own failure.
    you must have been very unlucky

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    you must have been very unlucky
    What do you mean unlucky? Are you implying that by chance I happened to get the worst corner of the community to play the last five thousand games with?

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    What do you mean unlucky? Are you implying that by chance I happened to get the worst corner of the community to play the last five thousand games with?
    Of those 5 thousand hours how many were TDA, IHCS or DPL?
    Thats where the real community was, the ClanTDA playerbase was massive at the prime of Dota

    public games are nasty, they are the bottom of the barrel

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezymcgee View Post
    Of those 5 thousand hours how many were TDA, IHCS or DPL?
    Thats where the real community was, the ClanTDA playerbase was massive at the prime of Dota

    public games are nasty, they are the bottom of the barrel
    They're also the vast majority of the games played, and therefore what the real community actually looks like. This is kind of my point, if you only play with tier1 players in tourneys and private leagues you aren't seeing the community. If you play random solo queue in LoL you are much closer. However the majority of the players act is how the community looks. And from TDA to tilt to THR to cash now, mainstream public DotA has always been filthy. I'd say maybe it's a fault of my playing on only NA servers and typically playing with Americans, but I can't recall ever seeing a foreigner open his mouth except to be insulting.

    In fact, pretty much nobody opens his mouth to say something nice. That's why the community is the way it is =p

  5. #165
    Haha Lysah, "peace-loving hippies" and "worst corner of the community", is there no middle thing?

  6. #166
    I think dota 2 will be better. If only because of the buyback option

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Haha Lysah, "peace-loving hippies" and "worst corner of the community", is there no middle thing?
    LFD in WoW maybe?

  8. #168
    Well just thinking about it it is a silly premise. Doesn't make you any more skilled and you wouldn't destroy your own soldiers or defenses even to deny them *xp/gold*.

    My 2 cents.
    It is a huge difference, not only to creeps but also on towers >AND< heroes. Just look at it this way... in LoL you have ignite... a lovely DoT right?
    What if the lane partner denied the hero when it was about to die to the last 2 ticks of your dot? No xp, no gold. That is HUGE. Same goes with creeps. denying an entire wave would leave them hungry for XP and gold. (You will outlevel your enemy big time) Your 2 cents are cool and all but...

    Also, the DotA community is easily the worst. I've seen LoL and HoN, they're both full of peace loving hippies as far as I'm concerned. DotA 1 is NOT any better than DotA 2
    All communities are rotten, however DotA2 from what I've seen is pretty calm. Sure I've seen a bit of flamers but nothing like DotA/HoN yet. But I guess this will change when OB comes. Also the fact that I've clocked hundreds of hours in the other games and ~15-16 in DotA2.

    Edit:

    Also wtf is up with these keybeggers in these threads? ><
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

  9. #169
    Nice! Just got my DOTA2 invite.

    Excited to try the new version.

  10. #170
    Pandaren Monk Kurdiern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    some island
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nice! Just got my DOTA2 invite.

    Excited to try the new version.
    Congratz. Let anyone in this thread know if you want to play with them, it helps a ton to have a wingman your first few games.

  11. #171
    Alright, this is gonna sound dumb as all heck.... but where is the center camera button? I fiddled around the options and went to wiki and couldn't really find an answer.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Alright, this is gonna sound dumb as all heck.... but where is the center camera button? I fiddled around the options and went to wiki and couldn't really find an answer.
    control>unit actions>select hero and double tap your binded key to center
    Last edited by Finear; 2012-03-19 at 10:41 PM.

  13. #173
    Pandaren Monk Kurdiern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    some island
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Alright, this is gonna sound dumb as all heck.... but where is the center camera button? I fiddled around the options and went to wiki and couldn't really find an answer.
    By default F1. Spacebar takes you to recent point of interest.

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Alright, this is gonna sound dumb as all heck.... but where is the center camera button? I fiddled around the options and went to wiki and couldn't really find an answer.
    Either bind toggling it to a key by writing bind <key> "toggle dota_camera_lock" in the console or just double tap the control group key you've bound your hero to in-game to center the view on your hero momentarily.

  15. #175
    Gotta say, I am finding the controls and lack of clarity to be an obstacle. :/

    I like the lobby, very HON-ish.

  16. #176
    The controls are meant to be as copy/paste from DotA1 as possible, so that people who have played way too much don't notice a difference. I still use legacy keys, for that matter, QWER is just too LoL.

    Pretend you're playing Warcraft III and maybe it'll feel better.

  17. #177

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    The controls are meant to be as copy/paste from DotA1 as possible, so that people who have played way too much don't notice a difference. I still use legacy keys, for that matter, QWER is just too LoL.

    Pretend you're playing Warcraft III and maybe it'll feel better.
    Didn't play WC3 much, hehe. I'm still trying. Just feel like things aren't quite as clearly presented as they should be. Also I am fighting the controls a lot. There is something weird in the animations that is just very uncomfortable. The way heroes pace is not quite snappy.

    One thing I noticed is the range of attack for heroes and towers is HUGE. Holy moley! I died like 4 times thinking I was well out of tower range. :[

  19. #179
    Pandaren Monk Kurdiern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    some island
    Posts
    1,851
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Didn't play WC3 much, hehe. I'm still trying. Just feel like things aren't quite as clearly presented as they should be. Also I am fighting the controls a lot. There is something weird in the animations that is just very uncomfortable. The way heroes pace is not quite snappy.

    One thing I noticed is the range of attack for heroes and towers is HUGE. Holy moley! I died like 4 times thinking I was well out of tower range. :[
    Turn speed and animations. If a tower is attacking you, attack one of your own creeps. It will redirect the tower to attack the creeps.

  20. #180
    Okay, thanks for the tip.

    Are the towers meant to fire that fast though?

    Between wrestling with the camera, the towers fire off like 2-3 shots at HUGE ranges before I can react. By the time I click to move, the 2nd or 3rd fireball is on the way. I just played a game as Ice Maiden. Got insta killed by the two towers in the enemy base- each shot 2 fireballs at me as I was running behind my creep wave.

    There is a lot of "I died and am not sure what hit me" so far. Enemy moves are not easy to read and the range of spells, towers, champions seems sorta extreme.

    And the teleporting. Holy shit.

    Getting my arse kicked.


    P.S. Fuck Zeus. That Ultimate. DAMN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •