10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't guess VP, LGD, Newbee. Wasted my picks on Rave, Alliance and TDK =(

I changed VP to Rave because of their poor performance in last year, and because i haven't followed them since then. Expected to see Rave
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

I had RAVE too though I didn't know who to pick for 10th and just trusted our lord and savior ppd.

I honestly dont know how people thought RAVE

its obvious only one SEA team would get an invite (some think even 1 is too much) and that was obviously going to be Team Malaysia

Seriously. Once in a blue moon you get a lane support, that despite not being a defined support hero, that has the idea what and how to do stuff on safelane to make a carry life easy and offlaner miserable. Damn last game. It really feels like playing 2 different games if you compare a bad and poor laner. ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    I honestly dont know how people thought RAVE

its obvious only one SEA team would get an invite (some think even 1 is too much) and that was obviously going to be Team Malaysia
    Yeah, but, there are only about 8 decent teams in the world so everyone's last pick essentially came down to whoever they like the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcereria View Post
    Seriously. Once in a blue moon you get a lane support, that despite not being a defined support hero, that has the idea what and how to do stuff on safelane to make a carry life easy and offlaner miserable. Damn last game. It really feels like playing 2 different games if you compare a bad and poor laner. ;/
    As a person who usually played support, it is on the other so freaking annoying to play with a carry that doesn't even help to force the offlaner out of xp range, like if you are trading blows with smth like bara within xp range and you get 0 help, then you chew through all your tangoes (usually 2 because mid is a greedy fuck) instantly and still lose because the offlaner obviously has stout shield & boots already while you have nothing.

When im playing offlane, it is so funny on the other hand to see the same shit happening on the other side, Supports who abandon their carry to pull creeps 24/7 or Carries who just watch their support nearly die while he was trying to harass me.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2015-05-07 at 03:07 PM.

Hey Pizzashark

SKILL MODE ENGAGED
    gif courtesy of hannabanana

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I can't check either, but i do remember picking team Malaysia because of their fancy icon and i couldn't make my mind who to pick 9th. Also i think i removed Newbee in favor of someone i can't remember now but who didn't make it.

Wonder if someone got 10/10
    I think anyone with common sense got 10/10.

US: EG was obvious
    EUROPE: TS and c9 ez
    RUssia: VP and Empire this one was ez too
    China: IG LGD VG Newbee this was obvious as well, newbee is a the defending champions would've been stupid to not invite them
    SEA: TM was obvious kinda.. at least for me. but I give u that that Rave had like 30% chance.

idk why people say NIP lol theres no spot for them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post

When im playing offlane, it is so funny on the other hand to see the same shit happening on the other side, Supports who abandon their carry to pull creeps 24/7 or Carries who just watch their support nearly die while he was trying to harass me.
    the funniest is for me, supports try hard the first 1-2 min to take u out of the exp range and then.. they just harras if u try to cs or so. I just get lvls while they steal exp from their carry, then leave to pull or gank or rune, and Im lvl 6 vs 4-5 carry and rekt him.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    I think anyone with common sense got 10/10.
    So, basically, everyone who didn't get 10/10 have no common sense in your mind?
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

So, basically, everyone who didn't get 10/10 have no common sense in your mind?
    yes lol, unless they fkd it up with TM / Rave

well I meant if u follow dota competitive, the invites were not that hard

if u knew the invites per region

1 usa
    2 eu
    2 russia
    4 china
    1 sea

and you use ur knowledge, it was obvious the tricky one was SEA
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2015-05-07 at 04:02 PM.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Just lost a game due to enemy PA having stupidly lucky RNG. I saw her get at least 5 kills in the early game due to pure blind luck. She'd get caught out with like 200 HP left, survive the stun with like 50 HP left, dodge however many attacks were sent her way, and then literally crit three times in a row and kill someone from full HP pretty much instantly. And, of course, you can't kite her or run from her because 1200 range dagger with 66% uptime on a 50% slow and 1000 range blink with pretty much 100% uptime and no meaningful cooldown or mana cost for either is totally balanced.

Doesn't matter which lane you send her to, because she'll get farm and XP guaranteed with dagger spam. Maybe not a lot, but how many other heroes can solo offlane vs a triple stun trilane and do anything other than cry by their tower and try not to feed too hard? She doesn't need many items because she already gets a ridiculous amount of damage from her ult, free attack speed from her blink, and she has good AGI gain too. BKB so you can become literally unstoppable. Skull Basher because it's an extremely overpowered item in general and because the hero clearly needs more RNG. Then whatever else, I guess?

Like, how the fuck has this hero not been nerfed into the ground? How have the pros been ignoring her during the heydey of Troll, one of the best heroes to pair her with? PA shits all over right-click Juggy and at worst breaks even in a manfight with Troll, yet she never got picked. Why? Do they think that ultra-greed Arteezy style mid PA is the only way of running her or something?

The hero basically doesn't have a weakness. Sure, she gets blown up by disables, Laguna Blade, etc. But that applies to almost literally every other hero in the entire game! It's not exactly a PA-specific weakness. I wouldn't even call it a weakness, just a gameplay feature. Birds sing, grass grows, Lina outskills people by clicking R.

She requires even less player involvement than Viper and Leoric, and one of those heroes is literally a one-button hero! PA literally just walks up to her target and starts rolling dice. If you're Lysah, you get a bunch of 1's and 3's and people probably go "wow PA sucks, buffs pls volvo." For everyone else, PA gets a bunch of 20's and facerolls.

What the fuck is a hero like this doing in DotA? DotA's allegedly a skill-focused game? So why does a hero exist that seems to run completely counter to this idea?
    Good news though with the open tournament for TI5 qualifier spot! Now you can form a team based around all the OP heroes you know about that the pros haven't found yet and dominate!

MMo champ team to ti, lets make the dream boyz we already have our drafter pizzashark
    - Ronald Koeman.

I can't check either, but i do remember picking team Malaysia because of their fancy icon and i couldn't make my mind who to pick 9th. Also i think i removed Newbee in favor of someone i can't remember now but who didn't make it.

Wonder if someone got 10/10
    I did
    Most choices were obvious imo...
    Came down to MY or Rave in SEA, but MY were much stronger as of late.
    And VP, A, NiP for the last slot, which I decided on after that one mini tournament

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    How would it be boring to play? Because suddenly player skill would invariably be the deciding factor, rather than blind luck?
    Things like randomized attack damage, gold gain from creeps, roshan spawn timer, jungle spawns, and rune spawns all attribute to parts of what makes Dota exciting for me. You can't plan everything in advance, and if these things weren't random, you would spend less time making decisions, and more time just figuring out how many seconds you need to spend in one area to complete an item. Yes, losing a game because of a 45 minute DD-rune/your carry getting permabashed/your supports being two-shot by PA 20 minutes into the game/a shitty roshan spawn/whatever is incredibly frustrating.

I don't think optimizing for pure skill necessarily equals good game design. I appreciate it when playing CPMA in Quake Live, and also in Counter-Strike. Luck elements are absolutely not needed to make a game exciting, and it's difficult to balance around. RNG does poorly in strategy-based games, but in a game where you're forced to take a lot of split-second decisions like dota, i think rolling the dice on a small section of the game is completely fine. Skill still matters a whole lot more in Dota than RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by EqualWin View Post
    if u knew the invites per region

1 usa
    2 eu
    2 russia
    4 china
    1 sea
    Where would you get this information before they locked predictions? Also, I definitely feel that NiP deserved an invite over VP. They definitely have had better results.
    Last edited by Longview; 2015-05-07 at 04:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you guys keep alienating skill from RNG? Off course you can get by by just jumping in with closed eyes without thinking, but usually you have to plan your RNG ahead of what you do, like stacking attacks to increase odds to stun on Slardar, if you got 3-4 last hits (or 9 attacks at lower levels) without stun, you can try to charge in to cheat out free stun on enemy and so on.
    Expecting RNG when analyzing situation can be tricky and requires, if not skill, but at least experience with the game, which, basically, the same.

You also have to keep in mind how rare these situations where game/teamfight/whatever is won due to pure RNG elements and not enemies playing dumb and overextending (yes, if you see PA running away with butterfly and passive maxed out with just enough health for one attack, you shouldn't blink forward and chase her missing 7 attacks and dying because of her regen, lifesteal, crits or teammates)
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2015-05-07 at 05:00 PM.

common sense jk

there wasn't any confirmed info 100% because volvo didnt say shit so my bad in that post, but if u follow dota only 1 team from usa deserve the invite, eu 2-russia 2. 4 china because icefraud, 1 from sea liek last year, also depends on whoever won last ti

last year it was 11 teams?
    USA: 1
    EU :3 (cuz alliance won ti3)
    RU:2
    SEA:1
    China:4

I find it weird that volvo keep ignoring SA teams, maybe no one deserve an invite but at least a qualifiers.. for wild card or something.
    - Ronald Koeman.

RNG in games is good because it often makes you unable to predict the outcome of everything ahead of time, leaving room for players to react and adjust. These also demand "skill." Too much is obviously a bad thing, but often when people blame RNG it seems to me their bad judgement is what caused the outcome rather than RNG.

PA is much weaker in this version because Silver Edge turns her into a melee creep.

VP and Newbee were far from obvious lol

some got it right, some didnt

VP isnt massively better (if it all) then ones like NiP, HR, [A]

and Newbee may be the champion, but they a) sucked hard b) lost their best players

however, they are kind of sort the "4-th best China team", just because only VG, IG and LGD are actually top-level good in China these days, so that gives them extra cred

also it is not at all obvious that Russia/CIS must get 2 invites, where did you even get that from

I do think though that Team M was obvious because ~ex-Orange/Mushi - nuff said

VP Is better than NIP hr A, and they showed it by winning that mini lan (play it cool) vs alliance last week or so, NIP was awful in that tournament.

IF anything people it was between VP and NIP (but if u watched play it cool, it was obvious vp would get the invite)

newbee was obvious because they're the champions and they still have 3/5 players of that team.
    Last edited by EqualWin; 2015-05-07 at 05:58 PM.
    - Ronald Koeman.

nip beat VP in four bo3s before VP beat them that one time

area51 cup 2-0 nip
    jd mlg pro league 2-1 nip
    esportal winter qualifiers 2-1 nip
    the summit 3 2-0 nip

VP also lost against na`vi, power rangers, team tinker, flipsid3 tactics, and meepwnd - all in the last month. i think it's hardly fair to say VP was an "obvious invite".

the only teams that i think are missing from the invites are eHug (NA) and invasion (SEA), but they both will probably win the open qualifiers for their respective region so i don't think it's an issue really.