CM is easily the single weakest hero in the game right now, don't expect to do anything but die with her.

In fact, be fully prepared to be as good as 0-8 in DotA if you play pure supports. No one can protect you from death like they can in LoL - the support will die just to residual AoE if he doesn't position properly, and if he DOES position properly, most carries can still kill you in two hits late game. Your job is really to prop up the carry early game and to go into team fights late game as a sacrifice so the carry has two more seconds to do his job, or maybe one fewer stun to deal with.

Teleporting is a huge deal in DotA, the higher up in skill you get the more you should expect every fight near a tower to end with 2-3 enemies teleporting in to kill you. That's what towers are for In DotA; in LoL they protect you with absurd amounts of damage, in DotA they're walls against pushing and teleport spots.

Abilities you just have to study the learn tab until you know what everyone does, honestly, same as you would for any other game =p

Didn't know Ice Maiden was a support actually. Wasn't totally clear on that... seemed like a Mage-y type. I do notice the game is more aggressive in the lanes than LOL or HON. The jungle walls are passable, everyone seems to roam, teleportation, etc.

If the type of champions I enjoy in LOL are; Wukong, Riven, Fizz, Fiora... what are similar playstyles in DOTA2?

I seem to be making some terrible choices so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Didn't know Ice Maiden was a support actually. Wasn't totally clear on that... seemed like a Mage-y type. I do notice the game is more aggressive in the lanes than LOL or HON. The jungle walls are passable, everyone seems to roam, teleportation, etc.

If the type of champions I enjoy in LOL are; Wukong, Riven, Fizz, Fiora... what are similar playstyles in DOTA2?

I seem to be making some terrible choices so far.

I can't really say there is 1 hero in LoL that is a straight copy from DotA, and visa versa. Some have spells similar to DotA but have different skills with that.
    So you will have to check out all heroes (or playstyle(s)) that you like. And pick heroes from there.

You will have a hard time trying to learn the game, but if you enjoy it why not?

Also you said you played HoN but don't know about zeus? :P I guess you haven't played a lot of HoN a long time then ^_^
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

She used to be magey, then her ult got nerfed, then her ult got nerfed again, then her ult got damage capped (another nerf).

Now she's decent support with a hard stun and a great AoE slow, but her ultimate is not even worth the skill points to be quite honest.

(I haven't played LoL since Fizz/Volibear got added, going to assume Fiora is a fighter)
    If you like the melee fighters, strength carry is probably your best bet. The nice thing about DotA is that any hero can perform any role given the proper items. I often carry as Earthshaker or Tiny despite how many people say it isn't possible, as long as you have the right style you can pull it off. Judging by the champs you listed you seem to enjoy fighters with power ultimates - I would really take a look at just about any strength hero, but otherwise check out Juggernaut, Earthshaker, Shadow Fiend, Storm, Leshrac, Akasha...and a ton of heroes that aren't in the game yet.

A ton of heroes in LoL were very obviously inspired by DotA, and considering Pendragon is on the LoL team last I heard, it makes sense that he would add some of his DotA favorites to LoL =p

I am not concerned about 1:1 similarities or role specifically from LOL or HON. Merely playstyle in the sense of champions which emphasize skirmishing with a bit of survival as a secondary trait.

Or maybe a better explanation- playstyle the opposite of Master Yi.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not concerned about 1:1 similarities or role specifically from LOL or HON. Merely playstyle in the sense of champions which emphasize skirmishing with a bit of survival as a secondary trait.

Or maybe a better explanation- playstyle the opposite of Master Yi.
    Try Queen of Pain. Low CD blink, emphasize jump in damage and jump out. Ulti strong as hell with an Agy Scepter.

Bounty Hunter is a semi carry with stealth, very hit & run. Stealth, hit & proc passive then stealth again. Shruiken to interrupt a spell or get killing blow.

Windrunner somewhat. My personal favorite champion, strong harass and early game damage with Powershot. Strong survivability with Windwalk and AMAZING cc if you know how to hit Shackles.

Though if you're having as much trouble as you described w/supports, then I'd stick with them a bit until you become more used to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Try Queen of Pain. Low CD blink, emphasize jump in damage and jump out. Ulti strong as hell with an Agy Scepter.
    #1 tip right here... dont jump in, walk in. save your blink to get out when shit hits the fan.
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

10+ Year Old Account
    trolling the enemy team with my shaco juke
    P.S. Fuck Zeus. That Ultimate. DAMN.
    Only when you start to learn how to fear Zeus shall you learn how to kill him
    But the principle on how to not die from his ulti is the same as Karthus, make sure u got enough hp to outlive it

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post

Bounty Hunter is a semi carry with stealth, very hit & run. Stealth, hit & proc passive then stealth again. Shruiken to interrupt a spell or get killing blow.

Windrunner somewhat. My personal favorite champion, strong harass and early game damage with Powershot. Strong survivability with Windwalk and AMAZING cc if you know how to hit Shackles.

Though if you're having as much trouble as you described w/supports, then I'd stick with them a bit until you become more used to the game.
    Okay awesome. Will try.

Didn't know Ice Maiden was a support. Well, I am not sure which champs are supports actually. Wasn't intending to go for that playstyle specifically. :P

Looking at the kit of Puck, he seems pretty fun/tricky. The orb mechanic sounds super fun. There a steep learning curve on that champ I should know about or anything interesting?

Okay awesome. Will try.

Didn't know Ice Maiden was a support. Well, I am not sure which champs are supports actually. Wasn't intending to go for that playstyle specifically. :P

Looking at the kit of Puck, he seems pretty fun/tricky. The orb mechanic sounds super fun. There a steep learning curve on that champ I should know about or anything interesting?
    get blink dagger and you are ungankable
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Blink_Dagger
    "Cannot be used if the carrier was damaged by an enemy player controlled unit or Roshan in the last 3 seconds."
    you need to escape gank got hit by hero cant blink ?
    use Phase Shift > blink > Illusory Orb > you are on the far side of the map :P

hes very good ganker and great team fight hero with his aoe silence and ulti
    Last edited by Finear; 2012-03-20 at 05:45 PM.

Try Juggernaut, bladestorm is similar to Garen's spin or Wukong's ult, and Jugg's ult is similar to Fiora's ult, fun hero to play, with semi carry potential.

The DOTA series and Heroes of Newerth are a little bit dumbed down in terms of gameplay. LOL is alot more complex when it comes to theorycrafting and game mechanics. To be honest Im looking forward to Warhammer's new MOBA than DOTA 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Seani View Post
    The DOTA series and Heroes of Newerth are a little bit dumbed down in terms of gameplay. LOL is alot more complex when it comes to theorycrafting and game mechanics. To be honest Im looking forward to Warhammer's new MOBA than DOTA 2.
    Are you even trying? =)

Thanks, I laughed!
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Okay, I like LoL more than HoN and DOTA, and even I know that's just bull.

Whatever you're smoking, keep it away from me.

Probably had his calender set to April 1st by accident.

Haha, this is a funny joke.

I've been playing DOTA for quite some time now (around 5 years or so ) and I have to say that they are going in the right direction with DOTA2, the improvements of the game overall with the new engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Puck is fun. Very survivable, ulti is great for teamfights.

Juggernaut was really fun. Took me a few casts before I figured the ward was a minion. Very slick. Also tried Sniper, but felt a bit boring. Sorta AD ranged carry archetype, I suppose.

The only issues I have right now are the controls & lack of clarity in the design. Though it's not a deal breaker. Just kinda takes me like 5 mins to find an item in the shop. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    That's due to the DotA heritage. They could only fit so many items on one shopkeeper, so they had to make several. One of the sites linked in this thread has an excellent write up on the shops.