10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    As far as the rune discussion goes a while back-

There is definitely some luck involved here, which is why bottle mid with movement skills (qop, weaver, storm) are so popular. The only real way to counter these heroes is to sit on the rune spawn yourself, and if it spawns on the other side, well tough luck. You can't send a side lane to cover the rune 1v1 against a mid, you really can't. You're going to send your CM bot to cover bot rune against a qop at 4 minutes? CM is level 3 and QoP is 5 or 6, CM is going to die, straight up, rune or no rune. And you're not going to send the carry and waste two minutes of his farm just on the offchance he actually gets a rune.

It's not a big enough deal for me to cry about it though. I still consider rune control more skill than RNG. If runes are really that big of a deal to you, you can swap out hard supports for roamers/gankers/carry supports who CAN camp runes with your mid. And that's what it comes down to, pick choices like that that offer you different strengths and weaknesses throughout the match. The more you remove things like rune RNG, the more you remove the need for map control, the closer we get to LoL meta (1 top 1 mid carry/supp bot jungler lewl)

@Waevyrn
    The random gold goes all the way back to RoC DotA from what I remember. It's just a kickback to how gold rewards work in ladder games, and there hasn't been a reason to change it. I guess at this point that makes it more flavor and tradition than anything else. If anyone has a better reason I'd love to hear it, but I'd be pretty skeptical.
    Runes have absolutely nothing to do with luck. Both teams have a solo mid, and if your team has a solo mid that lacks mobility compared to theirs... well then you're just conceding rune control, aren't you?

Runes spawn at 0:00 and every 2 minutes thereafter, guaranteed. The same type of rune will never spawn twice in a row. Runes will always spawn in one of two locations. Any competent team will have wards or vision of the spawn locations when the 2 minutes is up to see where the rune spawns, and which rune spawned.

If QoP blinks out of her lane to go for a rune... SET UP A GODDAMN GANK ON HER STUPID ASS. Oh, grats, you bottled an illusion rune but we also killed your ass because you blinked to get to it before anyone else. Alternatively, destroy the rune so no one can have it if you can't take it safely. Or use your CM in that situation as bait to setup a gank - Hey Mrs. QoP, here's a nice, juicy low level CM with no items for you to kill! Oh, whoops, you went after her and got ganked? Lol, sukka.

Did you not have vision of both rune locations when the spawn happened? Either you're playing like shit (no wards/vision), or you're getting outplayed (enemy already in position, or they counter-warded you.) Runes are skill, not luck.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    The complexity of DotA comes from

microing units, blocking, juking, hit-walk, animation cancel, projectile dodging, fog of war, creep pulling, creep stacking, deny, spawn canceling, skillshots(real skillshots, unlike lame skillshots of LoL which I call freeshots) and TONS OF active items... but obviously MKing has no idea about these concepts but items in dota.Again, do us a favor and please stick with LoL.

I did...when I was trying to play HoN. About game pace...You need to get used with it. I think HoN is fast-paced compared to DotA.
    It really is. It just feels awkward having it be so slow and the buy menu so clunky. Just need more time I guess

Deleted

@Waevyrn
    The random gold goes all the way back to RoC DotA from what I remember. It's just a kickback to how gold rewards work in ladder games, and there hasn't been a reason to change it. I guess at this point that makes it more flavor and tradition than anything else. If anyone has a better reason I'd love to hear it, but I'd be pretty skeptical.
    Thanks, that answers it (:

I like the game. Having most luck with Tinker at the moment (still playing AI bot games on easy, the amount of leavers is huge though, mostly playing with only 3 people). Huge mana problems, but once they're solved it's quite fun. I love that army of robots he can summon.
    His rockets are kinda weird though...how is this a fair mechanism? They do quite some damage, seem to be unavoidable (correct me if this is wrong, maybe if you walk out of line of sight?) and have enormous range. The mana cost is really high, but it just feels like a pretty strong skill.

I was wondering, I read that mages don't scale with items. So what damage does int affect then? Is it just autoattack damage?

@Pizza
    You can't set up a gank on rune spots when that location is permanently warded. A blink hero like QoP would have to be absurdly bad to fall for a level 3 gank when she has vision of it the whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Pizza
    You can't set up a gank on rune spots when that location is permanently warded. A blink hero like QoP would have to be absurdly bad to fall for a level 3 gank when she has vision of it the whole time.
    Why aren't you counter-warding it, then? Why aren't you denying the rune or having someone in position to stop the QoP or punish her if she goes for it?

Rune control has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It's completely based on your team's execution and tactics.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I didn't say rune control was luck, thank you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    I like the game. Having most luck with Tinker at the moment (still playing AI bot games on easy, the amount of leavers is huge though, mostly playing with only 3 people). Huge mana problems, but once they're solved it's quite fun. I love that army of robots he can summon.
    His rockets are kinda weird though...how is this a fair mechanism? They do quite some damage, seem to be unavoidable (correct me if this is wrong, maybe if you walk out of line of sight?) and have enormous range. The mana cost is really high, but it just feels like a pretty strong skill.
    It is possible to avoid the rockets by staying out of Tinker's vision as they only hit the nearest visible heroes.
    It is also possible to dodge them by:
    -Being Ethereal (Ghost Scepter/Pugna's Decrepify)
    -Being Magic Immune (N'aix Rage/Black King Bar)
    -Disjointing by turning invisible/blinking (Means that you blink or turn invisible after the rockets are launched but before they hit you)
    -Becoming Invulnerable with for example Manta Style image creation delay
    These are the ones I can think of from the top of my head, but there might be some other ways as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orochiro View Post
    It is possible to avoid the rockets by staying out of Tinker's vision as they only hit the nearest visible heroes.
    It is also possible to dodge them by:
    -Being Ethereal (Ghost Scepter/Pugna's Decrepify)
    -Being Magic Immune (N'aix Rage/Black King Bar)
    -Disjointing by turning invisible/blinking (Means that you blink or turn invisible after the rockets are launched but before they hit you)
    -Becoming Invulnerable with for example Manta Style image creation delay
    These are the ones I can think of from the top of my head, but there might be some other ways as well.
    Interesting, so there are quite some counters to it. I guess the items that help you with it are quite expensive, so it's more for lategame with those. But running out of vision should be possible as the rockets are quite slow.

Thanks a lot for the response, much appreciated!

Deleted
    Interesting, so there are quite some counters to it. I guess the items that help you with it are quite expensive, so it's more for lategame with those. But running out of vision should be possible as the rockets are quite slow.

Just to clarify - the rockets will hit you even if you run out of sight after the spell is cast, you can only avoid them by staying out of Tinker's sight all the time.
    Also the items that I mentioned are never bought just to counter Rockets (lol) :P

There is no such strat, countering tinker rockets in DotA. You just get hit, that's all.

just b4 some "I'M uber dota pro guy" telling me that HOW IMPORTANT avoiding tinker rockets and HOW IMPORTANT impact it will make on game, spending money for tinker abilities are not "viable". You just avoid if you have that utility by default(invisibility etc.)
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-06-21 at 02:31 PM.

Tinker rockets are game breaking only a noob gets hit by them. If you don't actively avoid rockets with blink daggers you're doing it WRONG.

(just kidding)

Came back from a 20-4 disadvantage to start killing 4 people in two hits as Sven, time to retire.

Played my 4th game on DOTA2 as tinker, rocket spam 16-1 even with my noob 37 last hits.

If anyone needs a dota2 key, I have one extra (tradable) which I'd swap for some D3 gold.

Deleted
    Broodmother is fun fun fun.
    Started off getting killed twice, but after I got some items I got my first triple kill, woo (not impressive to you guys, but for me it was fun )

I like the fact that a lot of heroes have really cool skills. For example the web that broodmother can do. I thought...ah I can probably have only one active at the time.

Nope...could web the entire map if I wanted to. Love it!

15+ Year Old Account
    broodmother can only have like 6 webs active at a time, it'll just overwrite the oldest one
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    broodmother can only have like 6 webs active at a time, it'll just overwrite the oldest one
    Ah really, didn't notice that sorry. Still pretty cool hero =)
    Aaaah, love that feeling of being a noob and just messing around in botgames and see what happens.

Broodmother is fun fun fun.
    Started off getting killed twice, but after I got some items I got my first triple kill, woo (not impressive to you guys, but for me it was fun )

I like the fact that a lot of heroes have really cool skills. For example the web that broodmother can do. I thought...ah I can probably have only one active at the time.

Nope...could web the entire map if I wanted to. Love it!
    try gondar(bounty hunter)...easy for new players and fun! You just need to be careful on lane.

Broodmother works sometimes to make big and distracting pushes in a lane
    You will not be forgotten, Eleanor / Steam ID / DeviantArt page / YouTube / Twitter

Rubick so awesome, such an unpredictable hero. Gettin hook or something of the like on him is just silly

Side note: Its tough to get certain spells on him because of the way better players use there spells in combos 99% of the time, for example it was very difficult to steal hook simply because a pudge is going to immediately rot right after the hook causing you to steal that instead, same goes with beastmaster roar and a host of other spells that open combos

Quote Originally Posted by Freezymcgee View Post
    Rubick so awesome, such an unpredictable hero. Gettin hook or something of the like on him is just silly

Side note: Its tough to get certain spells on him because of the way better players use there spells in combos 99% of the time, for example it was very difficult to steal hook simply because a pudge is going to immediately rot right after the hook causing you to steal that instead, same goes with beastmaster roar and a host of other spells that open combos
    However, it's absurdly easy to steal chronosphere for that very reason.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-06-22 at 04:26 AM.