Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I'd say that Shadowblade isn't an awful item if it can be used as something else than just "farm anywhere and escape with invis" -card, but most of the other uses are usually more or less gambling.
    Well, it got a lot worse with the recipe change, imo.

please delete this post

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Not the pro scene itself, the 50,000 rabid fans who just eat up everything they say and never question them at all.
    Fair enough. People do copy way too much, as well as believing everything donwe in tournaments will also work in their pubgames.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    Fair enough. People do copy way too much, as well as believing everything donwe in tournaments will also work in their pubgames.
    See this happen all the time. Someone will get Rubick in SD or RD and try to build him like Dendi does and they pretty much feed all game because they don't realize Dendi can get away with the glass cannon build he uses (i.e., not a bit of STR or HP anywhere) because Na'Vi have the coordination and timing necessary to prevent the enemy team from sitting on Rubick.

Did several different Doomy builds for jungling and I can definitely say it looks like it's viable now, but I was pretty reliant on stacking the pull camp to get to level 2... Doomy just can't tank monsters until he gets some more armor, not even the little camps. So warding the pull or interrupting it would probably delay him quite a lot.

I also ended up with an extra ring of protection laying around since you need both tranquil boots and ring of basilius. But the positive is that at 25 minutes I had Radiance, Hand of Midas, Ring of Basilius, Phase Boots, Quelling Blade, and Armlet and was level 16 without ever leaving the jungle. I think in a real game it'd be time to leave the jungle after finishing Radiance (18-20 mins) and would probably start ganking around level 6 (potentially before that if I ate a troll.)

---------- Post added 2012-10-06 at 04:48 AM ----------

Do visage's familiars need some tweaks? Seems like they require a lot more APM to use effectively than other summons, for less overall gain. The stun's great but they're worth a trainload of gold and their DPS is garbage.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Looking for a good player to do pubs with long-term.Prefer a support as I mainly play carry/woods.Im just tired of russians/brazilians and whatever there is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno View Post
    Looking for a good player to do pubs with long-term.Prefer a support as I mainly play carry/woods.Im just tired of russians/brazilians and whatever there is.
    If you play on US servers I'm always interested in a game.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    LOL tends to use the term burden of knowledge. Now i don't play LOL so I know only vaguely what that means. My friends who hates LOL beyond everything was saying that something like that will never ever be implemented in Dota or DOTA2.

Now here is my problem....is the recommended item list in DOTA2 something that functions in the same way. I remember in Dota that people tended to go their own builds and experiment almost all the time at least in pubs be it garena,wc3 or newer private leagues. However in DOTA2 80% of item builds are recommended item builds and people tend to,when i ask them why they are going that specific item, be somewhat clueless why it complements their hero.

So your thoughts?

Some of the recommended items for heroes are downright stupid, many of them assume you will only play one role if you pick a hero (support VS).

Why is it downright stupid for a support hero to have support items as recommended? Does the game really need more people trying to play VS as a carry?

VS can't carry, but it doesn't mean she can't do damage. Being the wards/mek bitch is for other heroes. Give real items on VS a try sometime, you'd be surprised how early in the game she can start globaling people before MM stun wears off.

Basically, my point here is, the recommended items are great for average players in average games. There might be 90 different ways to play a given hero, but the main 1 is enough for most people. People will follow the recommended items because they don't really understand how the game works and see it more mathematical like LoL is.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-10-07 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    Why is it downright stupid for a support hero to have support items as recommended? Does the game really need more people trying to play VS as a carry?
    Just because you do not possess the knowledge and skill to play VS as a carry doesn't mean that someone else should be denied the chance to...

You can play a lot of heroes very diversely, the problem is that in DOTA2 you have labels what a hero can and cannot be, which is retarded in my opinion.

She's excellent ganker, due to stun also a very good laner, and considering in pubs your teammates aren't the most reliable bunch it's usually better to focus on damage because there's high chance that your "carry" will be feeding all game, so you could as well to make yourself useful. Supports need teamwork, which is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    Just because you do not possess the knowledge and skill to play VS as a carry doesn't mean that someone else should be denied the chance to...

You can play a lot of heroes very diversely, the problem is that in DOTA2 you have labels what a hero can and cannot be, which is retarded in my opinion.
    How are you denied the chance because the recommended items match the role that fits the hero most accurately.

Do you understand the point of recommended items

VS can't carry, but it doesn't mean she can't do damage. Being the wards/mek bitch is for other heroes. Give real items on VS a try sometime, you'd be surprised how early in the game she can start globaling people before MM stun wears off.

Basically, my point here is, the recommended items are great for average players in average games. There might be 90 different ways to play a given hero, but the main 1 is enough for most people. People will follow the recommended items because they don't really understand how the game works and see it more mathematical like LoL is.
    VS can and should ward because shes an insanely effective roamer/support/ganker without items, and doesn't need/can't use standard initiation items. The recommended items are perfectly fine for VS. You can play her any way you want but that's the most standard and so reccomended
    Last edited by hailey; 2012-10-07 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Fun stuff. Oddly enough, if you tie some of the implications together, it seems to state that players that favor playing the support role and who also ward frequently have a lower win-rate than other players, which seems counter-intuitive.
    It makes sense because when you solo queue and you don't pick a carry, you are relying on your team to carry. Especially in the lower MMR bracket this is highly unreliable. Given all the wards and camp stacking, creep pulling, ganks given to the carry, there is a high chance that they wont get farmed. Not to mention your average solo queued pub players don't know how to organize a push well so having 3-4 carries on a team = a higher likelyhood in winning because the enemy team with 2 carries 3 support / init / push wont know when to push and wont take advantage of their laning advantage.

---------- Post added 2012-10-07 at 06:19 PM ----------

Some of the recommended items for heroes are downright stupid, many of them assume you will only play one role if you pick a hero (support VS).
    VS is absolutely and 100% entirely a support or a roaming ganker, play her any other way and you are crushing the real potential of the hero. This is fact, not opinion.

Edit: Now that isn't to say that you couldn't WIN with a carry venge, pub players are retarded. I've seen Dagon CM and mjolnir chen. Just because it worked for you once doesn't mean its the correct or a good build. Nor is your anecdotal evidence going to change that.
    Last edited by masterprtzl; 2012-10-07 at 06:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hailey View Post
    How are you denied the chance because the recommended items match the role that fits the hero most accurately.

Do you understand the point of recommended items
    Giving newbies an idea what they should buy.
    My question:
    How will 4 newbies react seeing their 5th person go with item build that isn't in the recommended list?

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    VS is absolutely and 100% entirely a support or a roaming ganker, play her any other way and you are crushing the real potential of the hero. This is fact, not opinion.
    It is very much an opinion, and calling it a fact doesn't make it one. VS has more than enough potential to work as a semi-carry or even a hardcarry, and has been played as such on professional level. Pigeonholing heroes into different roles can work in other games, but as long as you're not narrow-minded or just copying others there isn't a limit to what you can't do, even against skilled players.

If you understand the game and know what you're doing, "unusual" builds can be as good (or better) as the usual ones. I'm not talking about buying arbitrary items on random heroes, but actually having thought on what you're going to do and how you're going to execute it.

What many fail to understand is that none of the heroes in Dota are actually built only to support. The idea of supports isn't that you have this group of heroes that you don't ever give any farm over other heroes because they can't do anything with it. Heroes that can support are defined by their ability to have strong early-game and alright late-game with little to no xp and levels, but that alone doesn't mean heroes that can support well should always support.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2012-10-07 at 07:10 PM.

I love how 6.75 revitalized the meta-game. No more same-20 picks/bans. Finally Drow is back in the meta, Jakiro is the ultimate babysitter, and Lycan can rot in hell
    Last edited by Dread Pirate Roberts; 2012-10-07 at 07:16 PM.
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    It is very much an opinion, and calling it a fact doesn't make it one. VS has more than enough potential to work as a semi-carry or even a hardcarry, and has been played as such on professional level. Pigeonholing heroes into different roles can work in other games, but as long as you're not narrow-minded or just copying others there isn't a limit to what you can't do, even against skilled players.

If you understand the game and know what you're doing, "unusual" builds can be as good (or better) as the usual ones. I'm not talking about buying arbitrary items on random heroes, but actually having thought on what you're going to do and how you're going to execute it.

What many fail to understand is that none of the heroes in Dota are actually built only to support. The idea of supports isn't that you have this group of heroes that you don't ever give any farm over other heroes because they can't do anything with it. Heroes that can support are defined by their ability to have strong early-game and alright late-game with little to no xp and levels, but that alone doesn't mean heroes that can support well should always support.
    you have a lack of understanding of the metagame. VS, at a glance, has skills suited to a carry, i.e. a damage aura and a negative armor, but with those skills shes also a perfect SUPPORT. The reason she isn't a carry is her pitiful range and no real scaling steroid skill; she doesn't need any items to be an effective part of the team. That defines the support role. She can pick up low cost high efficiency items like wards/counters/courier as well as eventually save up for basic support items like Mek or Pipe or even a push. She can do all of this with little to no farm while also being extremely effective. Its like saying morphling is a great support because if hes built strength morph he has a long stun and can initiate by waving in. You could play him that way, and probably effectively, but its a waste of a hero because with farm he would be 300000x more impactful on the game.

Fact: Supports dont need items to be effective.
    Fact: Carries do need items to be effective.
    Fact: MOST carries have a steroid skill that helps them scale into late game
    Fact: Effective ranged carries require either long range (600+ drow/sniper), an escape (wave form for example) or high mobility or effective while tanky (razor/medusa) to be effective

Fact: VS doesn't need items to be effective.
    Fact: VS Doesn't have a steroid skill, her aura and armor reduction are both buffs/debuffs that the whole team benefits from (support)
    Fact: VS doesn't have an escape
    Fact: VS doesn't have high mobility (295 MS)
    Fact: VS ult puts her in a HIGH RISK situation and saves allies, this implies support in itself

Please explain to me why it would be effective to put VS as a carry over a support? In your pub games you may perform better as a carry because of bad players failing at carrying and you needing to, but this does not make her even a somewhat viable semi carry. If your team is stomping and you happen to have money for a manta, fine. But the same can be said of Veno, who is even more of a support imo, requiring less farm to be just as efficient. Heroes DO have roles that they are built for, falling from that role is a waste. There are some heroes that are way more flexible, like Leshrac, he can get lots of farm and carry via aoe nuke damage or he can support and be a great line up stun and push. The difference here is the team gains nothing by putting VS as a carry. Nothing.

http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Vengeful_Spirit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    I love how 6.75 revitalized the meta-game. No more same-20 picks/bans. Finally Drow is back in the meta, Jakiro is the ultimate babysitter, and Lycan can rot in hell
    Was there a professional game where Drow was picked already?

Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    you have a lack of understanding of the metagame.
    I understand the meta game very well. Better than you, I would risk in saying. I believe you have a lack of understanding in the game itself. Or to paraphrase Dendi's words, meta-game is a term used by lazy people who prefer to copy others than think for themselves.

I have a feeling you didn't either read my post or understand it very well. What I said was that heroes that can support are defined by them not needing any items to be effective in the role. We both probably agreed on that, although you had hard time understanding that either. What I argued was that it doesn't cut both ways, and every single hero in the game that is often labeled as "support" is viable as something else than the "5" support slot.

What VS has a very good early-game, rather high damage (despite having "no steroids") with only basic items and levels, and with fast enough levels she provides a huge boost to the rest of her team and can fill the role of an initiator. I'm not saying she beats Morphling 50 minutes into a game, or can out-farm an Anti-Mage, but when used correctly with the right (mid-game oriented) strategy she can fill the role of a carry very nicely. Na´Vi, for example, have played carry VS plenty of times very successfully.