Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Well, I would prefer if they changed all RNG heroes, for the most part, in some manner. A dice roll should never be allowed to determine games on a competitive level, but there is no way to keep things interesting without it. It already exists in variable auto attack damage, somewhat in automatic creep behavior, in rune spawns, etc.

Still, it is absurdly annoying to run up and impale/finger a 300 health void only for him to walk away with....300 health. But of course when you play him you die every time.
    This! I must have done some messed up shit to the RNG gods in a earlier life.. i never get a procc when i need it

When i play syllabear i can chase a person around the entire map and get one procc maybe.. When i am up against a syllabear i am constantly rooted..

EDIT: Tabs in to dota and someone in the other team picked Sylla....

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I would prefer if they changed all RNG heroes, for the most part, in some manner. A dice roll should never be allowed to determine games on a competitive level, but there is no way to keep things interesting without it. It already exists in variable auto attack damage, somewhat in automatic creep behavior, in rune spawns, etc.

Still, it is absurdly annoying to run up and impale/finger a 300 health void only for him to walk away with....300 health. But of course when you play him you die every time.
    Shackleshot's that way for me. Setup a perfect shackle a tree right in the sweet spot and it doesn't latch, but an enemy WR will latch you to a tree directly behind you that's eighty feet away. Something about sacrificing a small woodland creature to the God of Bullshit Shackles. Same thing applies to Chaos Knight - if you're playing him, it's always a 2 second stun. If it's an enemy, it's always a 4 second stun. Axe, too - you go five seconds without a spin, enemy Axe spins every single time someone even looks at him funny.

At any rate, why do people think Viper's a weak hero? I agree he can't out-carry a hard carry like Void or AM or whoever, but literally everything he does slows move speed and attack speed, he basically gets a free Hood, and his ulti slows attack and move speeds by 80% and while the damage gets blocked, he can still use it against someone using a BKB and they're still slowed. Hell, if he picks up a scepter, he can have close to 50% uptime on that slow, too.

It seems like he'd be a good pick for a #2 position, using his slows and durability to help setup kills for the rest of his team, and ganking hard in the first 20 minutes or so. I watched a Viper yesterday just sit in a full Epicenter and basically go "wait, that's all? That's it?" while turreting damage into whoever was in range.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Viper is a lot better with the buff to nethertoxin, his main problem is just not having much damage. Against someone above half health or so, he practically has zero damage modifiers, which makes him as viable of a carry as Dazzle. Of course, his damage goes up pretty fast as they start getting low and his overall utility is great, but, carries are defined and ranked by the modifiers they get to their damage, generally. Drow gets 60 agility and trueshot aura. Luna gets to hit 6 things at once and has a flat damage aura. PL has 12491285 copies that all do damage. AM gets 64 pure damage as long as they have mana, which is really 120ish with his ult, and it applies directly to images. Viper gets some slows and a passive that won't do anything when fighting a full health Drow.

It doesn't make him a bad hero, he simply won't measure up to other carries end game. Viper has a great lane phase and peaks early, he hardly needs items to start wrecking face. Rushing phase>scepter is good enough to win most games if his team is at all competent. Typically, you shouldn't rely on him as your only carry, however; if the game lasts longer than 45 minutes their hard carry will win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Viper is a lot better with the buff to nethertoxin, his main problem is just not having much damage. Against someone above half health or so, he practically has zero damage modifiers, which makes him as viable of a carry as Dazzle. Of course, his damage goes up pretty fast as they start getting low and his overall utility is great, but, carries are defined and ranked by the modifiers they get to their damage, generally. Drow gets 60 agility and trueshot aura. Luna gets to hit 6 things at once and has a flat damage aura. PL has 12491285 copies that all do damage. AM gets 64 pure damage as long as they have mana, which is really 120ish with his ult, and it applies directly to images. Viper gets some slows and a passive that won't do anything when fighting a full health Drow.

It doesn't make him a bad hero, he simply won't measure up to other carries end game. Viper has a great lane phase and peaks early, he hardly needs items to start wrecking face. Rushing phase>scepter is good enough to win most games if his team is at all competent. Typically, you shouldn't rely on him as your only carry, however; if the game lasts longer than 45 minutes their hard carry will win.
    Yeah, but wouldn't it be viable to pick Viper as a #2 slot while still having a true carry for the #1 slot? Or alternatively picking Viper and pushing to win the game at 30?

He's really difficult to out-lane with the sheer presence his orb gives him, and due to all the slows he gets, he can often just stand and fight back against someone and win due to the huge attack speed modifiers he places on the enemy... all of which stack. And pairing Veno with Viper should qualify as a crime against humanity.

I definitely agree that the thing he lacks is damage, it just seems like he makes up for that lack by being damned near impossible to kill and making his chosen target pretty much useless. It seems like even if you didn't have a hard carry, up to a certain point Viper could simply debuff the enemy hard carry so much that they wouldn't get anything done, anyway, especially since Viper Strike's slow ignores BKB (gz moving and attacking at 20% of normal for the majority of your BKB's duration.) I guess you'd lose if the game went to like 45+ minutes, but it seems like if that happens, either they were *REALLY* good, or you just weren't playing as aggressively as you should have been.

In other news, pro games with alchemist have been amusing lately. There was a recent game where they sat on Alchemist for a long time, but eventually had to leave him alone, and his farm just fucking exploded the second they did.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

we were talking about viper like 2 weeks ago :3 ?
    he was top pick after navi stomped TI1
    nothing changed, he is just forgotten

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, either all pick has really gone down hill or people were being serious when they said you find higher quality players in other game modes. First time I played all pick outside of a stack and we get an enemy PA who goes Skull Basher as her first item and we have a Chen that lanes until 3 and then doesn't leave the jungle for anything until like 25 minutes... and somehow only has basilius, unfinished boots, and meka by time he exits. He never really did anything... Hand of God either came multiple seconds too late or was used when it wouldn't have saved them anyway, and he was always getting killed on his own.

PA's quickly getting up to Viper's level of being frustrating to play against. Nothing feels more cheesy than her blinking to you and immediately critting you for 80% of your health. It was pretty funny watching Axe blow her the fuck up with blademail, though.

---------- Post added 2012-10-12 at 12:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    we were talking about viper like 2 weeks ago :3 ?
    he was top pick after navi stomped TI1
    nothing changed, he is just forgotten
    I still don't really understand why, absent external changes, players would simply stop using a hero altogether. It's been bothering me that Tinker is still as powerful a hero as ever, but he hasn't been seen in recent pro games. I know there are some heroes that are good against other heroes, but if you have that counter-pick banned out or on your own team, why wouldn't you use that powerful hero?

Whaddya know, after talking about going mjoll/skadi on Puck I just did it in a game. Wasn't honestly that necessary in a game so one sided but it really put the icing on the cake.

3500 health casters with agility carry level attack speed will make you sh** bricks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whaddya know, after talking about going mjoll/skadi on Puck I just did it in a game. Wasn't honestly that necessary in a game so one sided but it really put the icing on the cake.

3500 health casters with agility carry level attack speed will make you sh** bricks.
    I've been having fun testing different heroes, trying to make them jungle-capable. What would you consider a good baseline for being "jungle-capable" is? How much GPM and XPM should you expect to have in Radiant jungle in an empty game, assuming no major mistakes?

Is it viable if it's reliant on using a stacked pull to get to level 2?

I was experimenting with an Omniknight jungle and while there's still a lot of tweaking I want to do to try and streamline it, I was able to have Basilius, Soul Ring, and Arcane Boots (what I'd call Omni's "core") at 14 minutes with level 8, but the stats screen showed that as being less than 250 gpm and not much more than 250 xpm. How much xpm would an average duo lane be, assuming there are no deaths/kills on that lane and everyone is in XP range at all times? Would lower xpm be worth trading for higher gpm (since in a pub people assume Omni is a hard support even though he really isn't.)

My buddy's been toying with a Windrunner jungle. The only way I found it to be even halfway viable was to stack the small camp repeatedly, so maybe you could do it with a semi-duo mid lane, but I can't think of any mid duo WR would add a lot to.

There's dozens of heroes that "can" jungle that aren't usually jungled, but almost all of them are shit in the first 10 minutes, which is basically what matters. You can hit over 400 gpm at 20-22 minute mark easily on heroes from Skeleton King to Sniper to Pugna, but that means you do absolutely nothing for your team in that time. Lycan was the only hero that could farm jungle as fast as a lane, and after he was nerfed to ~Ursa level there aren't that many heroes that you really should jungle with whenever possible.

The question isn't if you can jungle but whether or not you'd be good at it even in the first 10 minutes, because after that you might start losing the game before you get any farm. Almost any hero can farm jungle fine with level 4-5 and 2500 gold worth of items, but if it's worth losing lanes and being useless for 20 minutes is another matter. Jungling "unusual" junglers works alright in a pub game when your team picks 3 carries, you have no confidence in your teams lanes or you're having a fit about wanting to farm on your hero that should be supporting in said game. In a "serious" game it works when you're offlane and can't get anything so you might aswell roam or get something from the jungle, or when you can constantly pull and stack a jungle while being semi lane support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    There's dozens of heroes that "can" jungle that aren't usually jungled, but almost all of them are shit in the first 10 minutes, which is basically what matters. You can hit over 400 gpm at 20-22 minute mark easily on heroes from Skeleton King to Sniper to Pugna, but that means you do absolutely nothing for your team in that time. Lycan was the only hero that could farm jungle as fast as a lane, and after he was nerfed to ~Ursa level there aren't that many heroes that you really should jungle with whenever possible.

The question isn't if you can jungle but whether or not you'd be good at it even in the first 10 minutes, because after that you might start losing the game before you get any farm. Almost any hero can farm jungle fine with level 4-5 and 2500 gold worth of items, but if it's worth losing lanes and being useless for 20 minutes is another matter. Jungling "unusual" junglers works alright in a pub game when your team picks 3 carries, you have no confidence in your teams lanes or you're having a fit about wanting to farm on your hero that should be supporting in said game. In a "serious" game it works when you're offlane and can't get anything so you might aswell roam or get something from the jungle, or when you can constantly pull and stack a jungle while being semi lane support.
    Yeah, it's purely for use in solo queue pubs, and only then for heroes that usually have to let the others get farm, but who need farm themselves; Pugna, Omni, Dazzle, etc. None of them are completely item dependent but they all need SOME items (Pugna needs life, Dazzle needs a little mana and life, Omni needs mana, etc.)

But a jungle in a higher level game needs to be capable of performing ganks, right? If that's so, why is Enigma a common choice? Aside from Malefice (which will stun once or twice at most), he has no real way of ganking and his eidolons are way too slow to chase. Is it just because he's such a fast, safe jungle?

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    But a jungle in a higher level game needs to be capable of performing ganks, right? If that's so, why is Enigma a common choice? Aside from Malefice (which will stun once or twice at most), he has no real way of ganking and his eidolons are way too slow to chase. Is it just because he's such a fast, safe jungle?
    as you said fast and easy jungle
    you can really quickly get mek/dagger/bkb and lvl6, then good blackhole out of woods and you have free tower
    even ganks at lvl 3-4 are not that bad
    Last edited by Finear; 2012-10-13 at 01:38 PM.

Malefice is one of the best non-ultimate disables in the game against non-blinkers. Enigma is good because he doesn't need items like Stout or Hatchet, doesn't need health regen and he jungles with a build that is similar to what you'd build normally. Unless you're a mongoloid and max Eidolons before Malefice. If enemy gets too far into lane you can walk behind them with 6 Eidolons for an easy gank, and after a successful gank you can easily proceed to push a tower. You can pressure the lane with little effort and still have a Soul Ring and Blink or Mek 10-11 minutes in. At that point you're free to push some towers and enemy will think twice before taking a fight against you.

Best 3 junglers right now are easily Chen, Enchantress and Enigma. They don't need specific items for jungling and can have lane presence without any commitment. Although Prophet has some global presence Enigma outstrips him easily in early farming speed and lane control.

10+ Year Old Account
    Malefice is one of the best non-ultimate disables in the game against non-blinkers. Enigma is good because he doesn't need items like Stout or Hatchet, doesn't need health regen and he jungles with a build that is similar to what you'd build normally. Unless you're a mongoloid and max Eidolons before Malefice. If enemy gets too far into lane you can walk behind them with 6 Eidolons for an easy gank, and after a successful gank you can easily proceed to push a tower. You can pressure the lane with little effort and still have a Soul Ring and Blink or Mek 10-11 minutes in. At that point you're free to push some towers and enemy will think twice before taking a fight against you.

Best 3 junglers right now are easily Chen, Enchantress and Enigma. They don't need specific items for jungling and can have lane presence without any commitment. Although Prophet has some global presence Enigma outstrips him easily in early farming speed and lane control.
    Yeah, Enigma's jungle speed is just unreal, and you can even use conversion to deny creeps to give your other lanes a small XP advantage. I've always thought you were supposed to max conversions first to maximize jungle speed. Is maxing Malefice first just based on the game, or do you just feel that it's not worth it to max conversions first?

Main issue with Enigma jungle is huge mana costs, but you can just chug clarities non stop since he isn't taking any damage to begin with.

I've always thought you were supposed to max conversions first to maximize jungle speed. Is maxing Malefice first just based on the game, or do you just feel that it's not worth it to max conversions first?
    i max conversions when my lane is pushing too hard
    if not, get malefice > gank and/or push

Main issue with Enigma jungle is huge mana costs, but you can just chug clarities non stop since he isn't taking any damage to begin with.
    not really
    at lvl1 you buy sobi mask and 2-3 clarity rest spend on courier, ward or branches
    it is enought to get soul ring without buying additional clarities

Omni can jungle fine, most heroes can. You don't see it much because it really just doesn't add much to your team. Jungling is typically reserved for heroes who need gold and can't reliably get it in a lane. Enigma wants to rush his blink, Axe wants to rush his anything, N'aix/Lycan/Ursa can't really lane well against most anything.

I've gone jungle Omni and done just fine (though I rushed Lothar's because I was trolling a 4 agility carry pub team), but I wasn't really rolling in gold or ahead in levels. Probably would've done about the same in lane.

Also, Enigma's jungle is not really safe. A hero like DS can easily just run up to him at level 1 with ion shell and force him to the fountain instantly. Eidolons cost all of his mana and are extremely easy to smash at level 1/2. I have stolen Enigma camps before as DS, killing his 3 eidolons and then taking his 3satyrs is a quick level 2 to surge away if anyone tries to help. If they do, now you've screwed over TWO people on their team. The biggest thing about Enigma is that no one really ever invades him because he can just walk away since he will be full health and is ranged and has a stun.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-10-13 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Omni can jungle fine, most heroes can. You don't see it much because it really just doesn't add much to your team. Jungling is typically reserved for heroes who need gold and can't reliably get it in a lane. Enigma wants to rush his blink, Axe wants to rush his anything, N'aix/Lycan/Ursa can't really lane well against most anything.

I've gone jungle Omni and done just fine (though I rushed Lothar's because I was trolling a 4 agility carry pub team), but I wasn't really rolling in gold or ahead in levels. Probably would've done about the same in lane.
    In pubs people tend to see Omni as a pure support and get really uppity if you say something about needing farm. Jungle won't get you levels any faster than lane, but it'll get you more gold than if you were having to rely purely on pulls. And while I'd say Omni's useless for initiating a gank, he could pop out of the jungle to counter a gank, which I guess is useful.

Also, Enigma's jungle is not really safe. A hero like DS can easily just run up to him at level 1 with ion shell and force him to the fountain instantly. Eidolons cost all of his mana and are extremely easy to smash at level 1/2. I have stolen Enigma camps before as DS, killing his 3 eidolons and then taking his 3satyrs is a quick level 2 to surge away if anyone tries to help. If they do, now you've screwed over TWO people on their team. The biggest thing about Enigma is that no one really ever invades him because he can just walk away since he will be full health and is ranged and has a stun.
    Venomancer can mess with Enigma for a couple of levels, too. DS fucks everyone because lol he's DS and a hero that's broken because he's too good at pretty much anything and everything. Ion Shell's just so damn versatile.

I don't know, people solo the long lane with DS all the time and it's pretty easy to stop. Last night I played a game with friends (RD I think it was) and we laned radiant pudge(me)/PA bot lane. I just sat in front of the wave - barely in EXP range - while PA farmed. DS was level 1 when we were level 5. He was probably getting gold from spamming shell, but he died twice without having surge (lolol stifling dagger > hook/rot). Eventually their Venomancer had to come bot and help just so he could get experience (we killed him, too, since he was underleveled from the trilane top).

He can also be counter jungled by anyone with a hard nuke. See what ES can do with long range fissure. You have no way of finishing camps off quickly so he can just stand there until you have the camp at 100 health and take all of it with fissure.

Wall of Replica is definitely absurd, though.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2012-10-14 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, people solo the long lane with DS all the time and it's pretty easy to stop. Last night I played a game with friends (RD I think it was) and we laned radiant pudge(me)/PA bot lane. I just sat in front of the wave - barely in EXP range - while PA farmed. DS was level 1 when we were level 5. He was probably getting gold from spamming shell, but he died twice without having surge (lolol stifling dagger > hook/rot). Eventually their Venomancer had to come bot and help just so he could get experience (we killed him, too, since he was underleveled from the trilane top).

He can also be counter jungled by anyone with a hard nuke. See what ES can do with long range fissure. You have no way of finishing camps off quickly so he can just stand there until you have the camp at 100 health and take all of it with fissure.

Wall of Replica is definitely absurd, though.
    How were you threatening DS right from level 1? Pudge wouldn't be scary until level 2, and I'd certainly hope a solo DS would hit level 2 before a duo Pudge/PA lane.

They're all melee heroes, so with some proper denying is not impossible, also dagger+rot slow you to a crawl, so he'd have to be extra careful (rot's slow lasts a small duration, so by rapidly activating/canceling it you only take minor damage).

I'd assume something like this:

DS walks to lane, shells creeps, pudge comes and rots the hell out of him. DS forced out, PA does't push lane, pudge keeps rotting DS cuz hes prolly too cool to shell himself and go fuck with pudge(and even if he does that, the pa can help pudge, and its a 2v1)

also

Unless you're a mongoloid and max Eidolons before Malefice.
    Wendy and I think that was a racist statment, mister Hermanni.