Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    On the contrary, I had a nick with cyrillic characters for a long time. I'm not from Russia, I have never been to Russia. I speak very basic Russian. The amount of baseless hate from people frothing at their mouths once they see someone they think is Russian on the loading screen was ridiculous. People typing "gg retard russian we lost" before the game even started. The times I solo- or duo-queue with a friend, most I ever say is "gl hf" at the start - and "gg" at the end. I don't see how typing "привет" or "хорошая игра" would somehow be massively draining for my team. The notion that some people judge other team mates before they have even seen them play is preposterous to me.
    russian nick ftw
    финеар ;d

Quote Originally Posted by Finear View Post
    russian nick ftw
    финеар ;d
    Mine was after an ancient (2004-era) 2ch.ru meme nobody remembers anymore. It fit very well with how me and my friends played the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    so tell me now, why would an average man, who logs into dota2 to "have fun", learn anything about this game?
    Would you suggest people in your yard who play soccer, actually learn ALL the rules?
    The point Im trying to make is, the crowd is big, and the crowd consists of averages.
    Dota22 community also consists of averages.
    Mostly, but not all.
    I don't suggest any new players to learn all information in a month or study the game. I was just pointing out the amount of information is not that big. That's what I was discussing.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-04 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I don't suggest any new players to learn all information in a month or study the game. I was just pointing out the amount of information is not that big. That's what I was discussing.
    well yeah, but Im trying to make a point that people who dont invest serious, pro-level efforts into a game, tend to not care/know rules to begin with

10+ Year Old Account
    I was just trying to point out the amount of DotA 2 involves is not that much. I wasn't suggesting it and it's not fun at all.
    It requires a lot more memorization than SC2 or any shooter. It's a huge barrier to entry, to get to the point where you aren't going to automatically lose fights/games because you don't even know what every hero does.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    So, when someone calls you an idiot for dying, you wan't them to be phased to other server? I can't see any trouble, you get flamed on english langauge (not russian), so why do you complain
    No, it's when they expect something from you and communicate in a language nobody gives a shit about and 99.9% of the EU West citizens don't understand. Communication is key, like i said.

with the amount of complains regarding russian players and the existence of a RUSSIAN server, i dont see a problem with valve filtering all russian IPs and letting them queue only in the russian server.

that will end a TREMENDOUS amount of grief in regular pub games

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    with the amount of complains regarding russian players and the existence of a RUSSIAN server, i dont see a problem with valve filtering all russian IPs and letting them queue only in the russian server.

I can already imagine the media backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post

This has been discussed time and time again, and Valve has confirmed that this will never happen. They want anyone to be able to play with their friends, regardless of their geographic location.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    It really isn't. I've played for a long time and some might think I've forgotten what it was like to be a noob, but I remember what it was like when I started DotA like it was yesterday. I played with some friends, had no idea what was going on but I had a blast and was left hungering for more. I'd learn mostly by playing the game, getting some tips from friends and sometimes reading about DotA related stuff when I wasn't playing. Sometimes I'd have my mind blown from watching a competitive replay of Merlini jungling with Beastmaster like a wizard.
    I remember what it was like to be new, and I don't think I would play this game if I was not already experienced with it. Back when I was new hero arenas were popular and DotA was the new, shiny thing.

I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players. It's this level of depth that makes it fun for those of us who have played for a decade, however, they really could use the addition of tutorials and mentor program.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    This has been discussed time and time again, and Valve has confirmed that this will never happen. They want anyone to be able to play with their friends, regardless of their geographic location.
    It would be only for solo matchmaking... team matchmaking and customs could be open to all.

edit: it wouldnt be only russians of course, but most hubs would have some restrictions for soloque.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 09:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players..
    Only because they are forced to play with players with all this info.

Its like playing Magic: The Gathering for the first time against people who play it for years - you cant do shit. But when you play with people who just started, you dont need most of the knowledge, just basics, and find more about the game the more you play.

There should be a set primary language on the servers and then it should be possible to report people who do not speak the correct language.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I remember what it was like to be new, and I don't think I would play this game if I was not already experienced with it. Back when I was new hero arenas were popular and DotA was the new, shiny thing.

I don't disagree with PizzaSHARK - I think DotA has too high a volume of information for new players. It's this level of depth that makes it fun for those of us who have played for a decade, however, they really could use the addition of tutorials and mentor program.
    Not really the only thing DOTA2 needs is the original mentality of Dota players.
    I personally started playing Dota because Warcraft 3 is too complex for me, I like taking my time to build my base my army and only then duke it out.
    Dota on the other hand is simple you have one unit, 4 abilities+ item abilities, easy. I still think that Dota is a simple game which the community added depth.
    The problem is now that you are restricted in a lot of ways. What heroes your team needs you to pick,what items you need to buy, what roles you need to fulfill,what way you must play your hero. In the begining nobody knew what the hell they were doing....I had more fun doing than for instance spending 5 games in a row doing the exact same think otherwise people would rage at me for doing something that wasn't viewed as plaiying good.
    I think when DOTA2 is released that it will suffer the same fate as WC3, it will be out shined by mods, and honestly i'm rooting for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    There should be a set primary language on the servers and then it should be possible to report people who do not speak the correct language.
    and what would it accomplish?
    Force people to learn "proper" languages?
    Dont make me laugh

Deleted
    Dont make me laugh
    Yes it would. It's most likely a cultural difference but here in Europe we don't take too kindly to people that speak a language the others can't understand when in the presence of other people. It's considered disrespectful.

Dont make me laugh

Agreed. It would accomplish nothing. Just like reporting people for being unskilled in LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Yes it would. It's most likely a cultural difference but here in Europe we don't take too kindly to people that speak a language the others can't understand when in the presence of other people. It's considered disrespectful.
    If you really think Valve would waste their resources for such moronic report option that yells "abuse the fuck out of this", you are terribly mistaken. There is a simple solution for that. Just lock regions but I really prefer current state rather than region locks.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2012-12-04 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I fully understand that.
    But do you understand that in internets, noone cares?
    Noone cares if he spoils one's fun as long as it provides entertainment.
    True sad but.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 09:22 PM ----------

Agreed. It would accomplish nothing. Just like reporting people for being unskilled in LoL.
    Well I cant talk about LoL, since I never played it
    But you could enlighten me

But you could enlighten me
    One of the report type in LoL is "unskilled player". This report type serves no purpose. Any angry gamer can pick someone to blame in game and report for unskilled player. Some LoL players in here told me that it has no function other than decreasing the chance to play with the player that you reported.

It's so obvious that Riot ignore this option while investigating reports but somehow players still think that it does something.

One of the report options in LoL is "unskilled player". This report type serves no purpose. Any angry gamer can pick someone to blame in game and report for unskilled player. Some LoL players in here told me that it has no function other than decreasing the chance to play with the player that you reported.

It's so obvious that Riot ignore this option while investigating reports but somehow players still think that it does something.
    huh, weird one, I guess.

If you really think Valve would waste their resources for such moronic report option that yells "abuse the fuck out of this", you are terribly mistaken. There is a simple solution for that. Just lock regions but I really prefer current state rather than region locks.
    So much resources wasted on creating a script. We live in the age of computers.

---------- Post added 2012-12-04 at 11:45 PM ----------

Again, scripts to flag suspicious or legit reports.