So, Dotabuff shut down for now, shame, really liked that site :/ What are you opinions on the new private/public stuff for 3rd parties Valve implemented?

Deleted
    I think its a nice idea to shut those sites down, never liked the fact that someone checks you / judges you because of some weird raiting.

Just right now I had a game with a sven who threw around "Bronze scum" like confetti.

I think it's pretty low of DB to mislead with their users with title "Valve shuts down Dotabuff" and think that getting their users to spam Valve and IF is going to help them.

In a way they kind of asked for this, though. My somewhat optimistic theory would be that Valve has something (arguably) better being developed and they don't want a 3rd party to become the standard in ranking players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really sad i liked dotabuff alot because i could track all playtime with my heroes much more easier then the ingame client.
    Big outcry currently http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=70504&page=36

Intel i5 3570k, Gigabyte 7870 OC 2GB AMD RADEON, Kingston Hyperx T1 2x4GB 1600mhz,
    Seasonic 520w M12, Asrock Z77 Pro4, WD 500GB Blue

Well that's a shame, I only had around an hour to joke about ranking higher than my friend!

Their statistics was interesting as well, was it shut down just because of the ranking system? Or was the other info infringing on privacy, or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    statistics was interesting as well, was it shut down just because of the ranking system? Or was the other info infringing on privacy, or something like that?
    https://dotabuff.com/pages/2013-01-25-shutdown

i couldnt care less for rating but i really liked site as a whole

Deleted
    The irony when the community is mad because people are given a choice XD

Quote Originally Posted by Daraiki View Post
    The irony when the community is mad because people are given a choice XD
    I think the real irony is that the strongest (or most common) argument for people who oppose Valve and previously opposed private ratings was pretty much "you don't want your stats shown because you're trash, just get good instead of crying", which perfectly exemplifies the kind of behavior public stats cause in other games and everyone wants to avoid.

I rejoice at the tears of every wannabe-elitist pouring their rage into the internet right now.

Deleted
    It was their own fault. The site was just fine before, but they had to try milking some money out of it with the rating shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I rejoice at the tears of every wannabe-elitist pouring their rage into the internet right now.
    I agree completely. This post really about sums up my entire set of feelings on the matter.

Good to see dotabuff devs take it like men with the misleading title and an appeal to the community to spam valve and icefrog.
    I figured they were scum because they also make Elobuff which is even scummier than dotabuff
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

10+ Year Old Account
    Managed to check my rating just before Dotabuff got shut down.

22%, Silver. Hoooly shit, get lower then me and win a prize! To be fair, Dota2 was my first moba, and my W/L ratio was technically negative (~45 losses, 40 wins, 2 abandon), so I guess I can't really be surprised lol.
    Last edited by Xothic; 2013-01-26 at 02:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    my gf left me, should i Just go gay?
    Xothic - Prot Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Enkidulgaa View Post
    Good to see dotabuff devs take it like men with the misleading title and an appeal to the community to spam valve and icefrog.
    I figured they were scum because they also make Elobuff which is even scummier than dotabuff
    Tharuler has been acting like the community owes him a whole lot for a while, I wouldn't be that surprised. Kinda sad to see them shut down the entire site though. While I disagree with ratings being public (I could see percentiles being shown ingame, but not number ratings - look how that works for HoN), it'd be nice to have some sort of indication of how well you're doing. I don't care about other peoples' ratings, and I don't play for either winrates or k/d-ratio. I play to get better at the game, and I realize I have a pretty long way to go still. It caught me by surprise that I was that high (yeah, I'd say 96th percentile is high (even though I would never refer to myself as a "good player")), but it was encouraging to see that I had been improving from how absolute trash I was a year ago.

Deleted
    How's everyone liking AR so far? For me it's been great, unusual team comps on both sides making the game interesting. Plus it's always funny to get 'the feeling' thinking about what hero you get and then either getting disappointed or happy when you actually see the hero.

About dotabuff, it was a great site, but seeing all the misleading titles about Valve shutting them down, if I'm not mistaken they can still collect all the data that was available before the update, just DBR not working. Now they got all sad and think that they're over Valve and will get valve to apologize them and revert everything back. That guy is an douche.

10+ Year Old Account
    After playing about 80 games of dota 2, I realized that i'm bad at LoL AND dota 2! Tried to play a few games of LoL after playing dota 2 for awhile and I don't get much satisfaction in LoL anymore, guess DOTA 2 is more intense, and it feels way more gratifying when I win a game or get kills. I also hate stat scaling on abilities now lol, hate ratios on abilities! Also, thought I would hate Magnus, no way he's fun as hell. Derp post.

Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    How's everyone liking AR so far? For me it's been great, unusual team comps on both sides making the game interesting. Plus it's always funny to get 'the feeling' thinking about what hero you get and then either getting disappointed or happy when you actually see the hero.
    I won't queue AP any longer, that's for sure. I've played six games thus far, and they've all been more fun than my average AP game. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by eemuman View Post
    AR is kind of "default" mode for me, i started playing dota way back with dorm buddies, and we exclusively played AR mode. Probably made me more versatile player, although i still disdain hard carries. Even if it is unbalanced because of random comps, weirdness is refreshing from average ap game.

It's always Single Draft for me, would probably play Least Played or All Random if I played more. All Pick is just impossible to bother with right now.

I've yet to try AR, seems like a good way to get out of my rut of playing the same few heroes. I'm so used to waiting until our team's nearly full to pick, and surprise surprise, support nearly every game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rest in pieces, Dotabuff. I'm actually really hoping that Valve kills them off for good now.