Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I don't understand people that would spend their money on chests to have a chance at a courier. Its literally mind boggling to me.
    Yea why would someone want to show gratitude and support a company that has given them a completely free game that you've spent tons of hours playing?

What is this, Bizarro World?
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    Yea why would someone want to show gratitude and support a company that has given them a completely free game that you've spent tons of hours playing?

What is this, Bizarro World?
    Supporting a business that offers a product you enjoy I get. Gambling money on a 1 in 250 chance of a courier which offers no advantage other than different artwork is different. Finish this quote for me...

"A ____ and his money are soon parted."

bought one cuz im poor, got jug one its amazing
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Supporting a business that offers a product you enjoy I get. Gambling money on a 1 in 250 chance of a courier which offers no advantage other than different artwork is different. Finish this quote for me...

"A ____ and his money are soon parted."
    I get it. Is it foolish to think you'll get the courier on the first few tries? Probably. But giving a free-to-play business money when they are offering you a little something extra in return seems like quite the ideal time to support said company. But hey I'm probably wrong.

I tip my waitresses and from time to time I buy dota 2 chests. I am a fool and will soon be a dirt poor hobo.

7+ Year Old Account
    I get it. Is it foolish to think you'll get the courier on the first few tries? Probably. But giving a free-to-play business money when they are offering you a little something extra in return seems like quite the ideal time to support said company. But hey I'm probably wrong.

I tip my waitresses and from time to time I buy dota 2 chests. I am a fool and will soon be a dirt poor hobo.
    You don't need to be so defensive and hyperbole. All I stated was I find it mind boggling someone would choose to use their money to gamble for a vanity item.

That is hardly applicable to tipping a waitress who serves you food or drinks and provides a service.

And no the saying a fool and his money are soon parted does not mean if you buy the occasional fluff item like chest or set item piece for $5 here, or a $10 there, a $20. It does not mean you will end up "a dirt poor hobo". But it does add up and Valve do pretty well for themselves. There are much more noble causes to use your money on that would help more artists out and this maybe increase the quality of the game is a less direct way. But anyway. Its your money its your life do what you want. GL for t-rex courior...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I swear to fucking god why is eul's still in the game? It's literally cheating on a stick. Light Strike Array, Sunstrike, countless other spells that are balanced around not being reliable suddenly become reliable 13 minutes into the game and you can basically write your own paychecks from that point on if you aren't terrible.

Item needs to either cost 4200 gold or it needs to lose ALL of the stats on it - movespeed, int, mana regen, everything. At this point I'd say it's on par with blinker in terms of giving heroes an insanely overpowered ability, except blinker is (pretended to be) balanced by not having any stats while eul's gives you a ton of stats that would be worth building the item for even if it didn't have cyclone.
    They should remove the move speed from the item, make it have 9 charges and make it a part required to build the sheep stick. I think that's how the item was in the past, or something similar. At least you can buy your own euls to dodge the euls setups from the enemy team. Euls for days!

Lotus orb could be a little cheaper too. It's a fun item but very rarely worth the money.

And on the new treasures, I opened one and got the Rubic set. Pretty much exactly what I wanted. As a bonus I also got 11 compendium levels. I don't understand the hype around the courier tho. I swear it's gonna get killed 5 times more than any other courier. Might as well paint a red cross on top of the big purple circle.

Lol I already said I got your point. At first I thought you were complaining about people who spend money on cosmetic items, but you cleared that up. Now I'm just harping on the uselessness of your actual intended statement.

You're "brain boggled" about people gambling. That's kind of the point, isn't it? That's why they call it a gamble? It's going against obvious logic for the shot at a payoff. Having the need to express how shocked you are that people choose to play against the odds is like when someone goes up to a smoker and says "Hey, smoking is bad for you".

In the smoker's mind, I'm sure they're thinking: "No shit. Everyone knows smoking is bad for you. It says it right on the pack. You saying it just makes you seem autistic or socially retarded to some degree."

But yea, while we're on the subject of actually wasting money, making the 13 mil prize benchmark a BB announcer was a bad decision in my opinion. Anyone with 30 seconds of practice can do a near perfect bristleback impersonation. TJ Ramini does the lamest voices in all of dota (timber, bristle, sky, abaddon) and I think it would have been way cooler to pick someone voiced by JPL (ds, doom, aa, pudge, sf, earthshaker). He just sounds great.

I don't understand people that would spend their money on chests to have a chance at a courier. Its literally mind boggling to me.
    Because

The 2nd one I sold for like, $75?

7+ Year Old Account
    $75 for a courier? Yeah nah I'm good, I'll stick with using my money on things that are not a rip off. Do you have any idea how many games you could buy on steam for $75 for one example.

$75 for a courier? Yeah nah I'm good, I'll stick with using my money on things that are not a rip off. Do you have any idea how many games you could buy on steam for $75 for one example.
    Uh, yes. That's why I SOLD it. In case you missed that, kinda sounds like you're thinking I bought it. I only spent $2.50 on it, since I unboxed it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Uh, yes. That's why I SOLD it. In case you missed that, kinda sounds like you're thinking I bought it. I only spent $2.50 on it, since I unboxed it.
    I didnt say you did buy it, I was being flippant. SOMEONE has to buy it. Its good for you yes, you got some money from a sucker. The person who would spend the $75 needs their head checked.

It reminds me of that party hat crap in runescape.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2015-06-06 at 04:09 AM.

I didnt say you did buy it, I was being flippant. SOMEONE has to buy it. Its good for you yes, you got some money from a sucker. The person who spend the $75 needs their head checked.
    To some people, $75 is a drop in a bucket. They want something cool to show off, and don't want to waste the money opening crate after crate? That's great, I was able to help them, and they gave me a heck of a lot more than I paid for the courier. I'm good with my Azuremir, which is why I sold the Doomling too.

I'm not gonna buy tons and tons of the current crate until I get the Faceless Rex personally, but if I happen to get one, I'd be happy.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    To some people, $75 is a drop in a bucket. They want something cool to show off, and don't want to waste the money opening crate after crate? That's great, I was able to help them, and they gave me a heck of a lot more than I paid for the courier. I'm good with my Azuremir, which is why I sold the Doomling too.

I'm not gonna buy tons and tons of the current crate until I get the Faceless Rex personally, but if I happen to get one, I'd be happy.
    By all accounts you got pretty lucky and made a profit, that will be one of the rarer cases haha. But anyway, I've said my bit. I'm just glad I have more sense with my money and can see it for what it is. If $75 is nothing to someone and they choose to waste it on a video game for a vanity item I wouldn't want to know them anyway. Donate it to an animal shelter or the red cross. That would feel better than "Wow cool courier man"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeafmuncher View Post
    At least you can buy your own euls to dodge the euls setups from the enemy team. Euls for days!
    I was watching one of the MVP v RAVE games and there was a point where one guy was literally hit with a cyclone four times in a row. Lina lifts him, he lifts himself to dodge the stun, then two other guys on the other team lift him sequentially and he gets hit with a stun as he lands the 4th time and gets obliterated.

Stupidest fucking shit in the world.

Lotus orb could be a little cheaper too. It's a fun item but very rarely worth the money.
    Seems to be an item good mostly only against bad players, and also somewhat useless. Rexxar is still going to stun you - his teamfight contribution is his stun, so he doesn't care if he gets stunned in return. It's also obviated (whee, fancy word!) by AOE effects, which includes Nyx stun, Lion stun, burrowstrike, fissure, etc. Probably too expensive for its limited usefulness, but they also need to be very careful about buffing it because it's the kind of item that could rapidly end up being overpowered.

- - - Updated - - -

Some clarification on False Promise since people still don't understand it, apparently:

- When False Promise ends, all healing received during the buff is doubled and then applied. Immediately afterwards, all damage taken during the buff is applied as direct HP Removal, killing the target if possible. The kill is credited to whoever did the fatal damage. The damage is stored and dealt in instances in the same order and the same amounts they were recorded in.

- Shallow Grave will prevent someone from dying to False Promise. Borrowed Time will turn the damage into a heal (but only if it's already active when the damage is applied, since it will otherwise immediately kill Abbadon, bypassing Borrowed Time as per normal mechanics for that skill.) Axe can dunk someone through False Promise and someone affected by Ice Blast can still shatter.

- Since the healing is applied before the damage, it doesn't matter how much healing you absorb during False Promise. If you take damage equal to or greater than your total health, you will instantly die when False Promise ends. The only situation where healing absorbed matters is when you took less than your total health in damage - so False Promise is pretty terrible for actually preventing someone's death when they're being focused by the enemy team, it just delays the inevitable.

- False Promise is much better used proactively as a constant strong dispel on a target, basically a super BKB for them. Anything they're hit with will be almost immediately removed, so it's essentially up to 8 seconds of playing with IDDQD for them. False Promise is very strong used offensively and very weak used defensively.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    - When False Promise ends, all healing received during the buff is doubled and then applied. Immediately afterwards, all damage taken during the buff is applied as direct HP Removal, killing the target if possible. The kill is credited to whoever did the fatal damage. The damage is stored and dealt in instances in the same order and the same amounts they were recorded in.

- Since the healing is applied before the damage, it doesn't matter how much healing you absorb during False Promise. If you take damage equal to or greater than your total health, you will instantly die when False Promise ends. The only situation where healing absorbed matters is when you took less than your total health in damage - so False Promise is pretty terrible for actually preventing someone's death when they're being focused by the enemy team, it just delays the inevitable.
    This is evidently false. A level 3 Aghanims Scepter Laguna Blade can't kill a target under False Promise if you heal it enough even if the target has less maximum health then Laguna Blade has damage. In my test a level 1 Troll Warlord with no items and 473 HP will not die when put under False Promise, an enemy Lina uses a level 3 Aghanims Scepter upgraded Laguna Blade on him (950 damage), an Omniknight casts 1 Purification (360 heal x2 =720 health) and Troll Warlord is reduced to 255 health and Troll Warlord does not die. If it worked like you suggest he would die. Instead he takes 950-(360x2)= 230 damage which for some reason I do not know in practice is 218 in the game and the combat log.

damn it, i want the dk set so bad :/
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

By all accounts you got pretty lucky and made a profit, that will be one of the rarer cases haha. But anyway, I've said my bit. I'm just glad I have more sense with my money and can see it for what it is. If $75 is nothing to someone and they choose to waste it on a video game for a vanity item I wouldn't want to know them anyway. Donate it to an animal shelter or the red cross. That would feel better than "Wow cool courier man"
    i have dropped like 650 dollars on dota two and i only got hats and tournament tickets in return
    to me that's not much money at all, but i understand how it is a lot of money to most other people on earth.

i dont see how spending disposable income on a hobby is "wasting money" at all

I'm off to the animal shelter forums to wag my finger at them for spending money on dog food instead of dota chests.

I'm off to the animal shelter forums to wag my finger at them for spending money on dog food instead of dota chests.
    I love you when I'm not disagreeing with you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of shelters, don't you have a home to go too? I already tried saying twice I had said my bit for you to drag it up again to get the last word.