Deleted
    just a quick question anyone here got exp with refurbished HDDs?
    looking to improve storage capacity and those are rather good priced :P

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    just a quick question anyone here got exp with refurbished HDDs?
    looking to improve storage capacity and those are rather good priced :P
    Wouldn't touch used electronics with a 30 foot barge pole.

Yeah, unless you can see (or get a screenshot of) S.M.A.R.T readings before purchasing, I would stay far away from them. HDDs, PSUs and GPUs are the worst things to buy used. On the other hand though, RAM/CPUs/mobos/disc drives/cases all have very little that can go wrong with them over time.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'm using a 3770k with 2x 7950 OCs in CF. All used and cost £800 total. Setup like with would cost twice that if bought new.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodNewsEveryone View Post
    I'm using a 3770k with 2x 7950 OCs in CF. All used and cost £800 total. Setup like with would cost twice that if bought new.
    You mean the CPU and two GPUs cost 800, or the whole computer cost 800? Because a new 3770K and two 7950s costs less than 800 pounds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£242.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) (£269.72 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £782.34
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    My i7 2600k was 6 months old when I bought it from a friend, no problems with it. It went from one board into another, no risk of damage. Graphics cards are another matter, they get really dirty and the fans wear out or start squeaking. Anything with a motor or spindle in it, I wouldn't touch on the used market, at least if you know where you are buying a used CPU from, it's less risk. Plus the warranties are like 3 years anyway.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to break a CPU nowadays unless you turn off all safety restrictions and pump voltages through it and melt the damn thing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Too bad the Fractal Node 650 lacks optical drive mounts, otherwise I would be all over one like flies on horse shit

Do you really need one? Get an USB one that you can use for all your current and future builds instead. Works great for slim notebooks without optical drive as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Asus-External-.../dp/B003YT578O that one is really slim and neat.

Deleted
    You mean the CPU and two GPUs cost 800, or the whole computer cost 800? Because a new 3770K and two 7950s costs less than 800 pounds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£242.90 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £782.34
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    Entire tower minus cooler and case which were from a previous build. Sabertooth Z77, Agility 3 120gb, Corsair HX 850 and 2x1TB Seagate drives were included in the £800 budget.

Quite suprised more people out there don't buy used parts especially with the rate technology evolves. You can get a 3570k on ebay right now for £100 and it's quite a bit better than the old 2500k especially if you're rocking a PCI 3 board with a next generation card.

XFX graphic cards also offer a double warranty for the used buyers if your in the States (doesn't apply in Europe) so even the most worried gamer has an option to get a high end card for a lot less.

Deleted
    btw anyone got exp with using warranty on headsets because of the wire having some issues creating static :S (corsair 1500 that is)

They tend to do that, for some reason. I don't remember where I was reading it, but adding the microphone makes a lot of conflict apparantly with the cables and frailty. I have no idea whether it's isolation or what.

If you have to replace them, I'd recommend you a pair of headphones with a detachable cord. So you can just replace it if it goes bad, but it rarely do as often in headphones as in headsets.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    They tend to do that, for some reason. I don't remember where I was reading it, but adding the microphone makes a lot of conflict apparantly with the cables and frailty. I have no idea whether it's isolation or what.

If you have to replace them, I'd recommend you a pair of headphones with a detachable cord. So you can just replace it if it goes bad, but it rarely do as often in headphones as in headsets.
    well i'd rather hope i get a new pair back because i like them allot or isn't such a thing covered by warranty?
    (don't got that much exp with returning stuff only twice with ssd/mobo which were insta replacements no questions asked)

I would call them and ask them what typical damages the warranty cover at all, if you want to find out. I'd not mention what your issue is and see if it comes up.

Deleted
    seems worth a shot i've put in a tech support ticket for now on the corsair site. (checked retailer site and they suggest direct contact for faster service)
    guess i'll see what happens.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Do you really need one? Get an USB one that you can use for all your current and future builds instead. Works great for slim notebooks without optical drive as well.
    http://www.amazon.com/Asus-External-.../dp/B003YT578O that one is really slim and neat.
    For my Blu Ray player, yes I need a drive bay. USB is way too slow to play HD films consistently.

This seemed like the appropriate place to post this, i'm looking to buy a new new rig from the ground up and was wondering if i could get some info on the rigs on the front page (puppy, dolphin, etc.) just thoughts complaints comments etc, problems i may have to face, anything really

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snikdagit View Post
    This seemed like the appropriate place to post this, i'm looking to buy a new new rig from the ground up and was wondering if i could get some info on the rigs on the front page (puppy, dolphin, etc.) just thoughts complaints comments etc, problems i may have to face, anything really
    Hi Snik, this actually isn't the appropriate place to post this. This is a thread aimed at random-chit-chat vaguely related to computers/tech, a place for MMO-C's tech community to unwind.

What you want to do is make a thread in the Computer Build / Upgrade Help forum, make sure you go through the stickies first - you will find a massive range of great sample builds, great links and a format to use when making a thread (just simple stuff like your budget, purpose, etc etc). The rigs that Chaud posts on the front page are alright for *starters*, but there is very little variety since he has to try and summarize everything in 4 builds lol.
    I recommend basing your questions on Marest's Sample Builds instead, it's in the sticky in Computer Build forums.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-10-08 at 02:38 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

okay, thanks for the help, i don't forum much, but basically that was the answer i was looking for

10+ Year Old Account
    ....continued from Gaming Setup thread to avoid off-topic infraction:

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    It doesnt have to be anywhere bass has no direction, ideally forcing a direction is best. The corner on a solid shelf or desk would be about the same as a the floor in a nice corner.
    Not entirely true, depends what the floor is made of, how well it responds to vibrations and whether the user wants the vibration coming through the floor or not.

E.g. I have a wooden floor (room is upstairs) and I prefer being able to feel the bass via my feet, it gives a true sense of "power" to the beats in the music and makes drums FEEL like actual drums - you don't just hear it, you feel it. For me placing the sub on the floor vs placing it on the desk had a notably different effect...and my sub isn't even directional!
    In the specs it says "Fourth-order closed bandpass enclosure design", which is gibberish to me but it's something to do with the sub drivers being enclosed in a box and going out equally in all directions....I think.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze