Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    My pile of components is growing!
    Looks sweet! I placed my first order yesterday. Not sure if I'll go with the Extreme4 as I really want a black/red motherboard. The Z77 Performance has almost all the features I want at about the same price but it lacks that PCI-E x1 slot just above the main PCI-E 3.0 lane and the SATA ports location/design makes me feel like the board was designed 5 years ago.
    The Z77 Professional is closer, but at that price I want it to be more or less perfect and since the 1st PCI-E x1 slot is blocket it isn't. And the ASUS Maximus V Gene is just mATX. That's basically all the boards I know that has red/black design.
    The Extreme4 has all the functionality I'm looking for though at a fairly acceptable price too. I don't like that it's a slimmed ATX board though...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    I would go with the NH-D14 instead of any of the Corsair all in one water coolers.
    I would too, but I just don't like the look of a huge 140mm cube hanging in the middle of the case. Plus the noctua fans would make it look silly (black/gold/silver theme throughout, and then I go dump cream/maroon fans in it...yeah).

Ultimately I want to have a custom loop, but you know what it is like with money. Never there when you want it. My initial design was to build inside the NZXT Switch 810, with an Asus board, blocked graphics card, lightning blue LEDs and UV tubing with a tube res down the back of the optical bays, but that would have run over €650 just for the loop, so half the cost of the computer again.

What I thought I could do with the Arc Midi and the Extreme4/6 was to have black tubes, white/very light blue LEDs with a bit of white muslin over them to diffuse the light, so you would get a nice soft glow throughout the case and the light wouldn't glare off the tubes (think the difference in lighting effect between a clear light bulb and a milky light bulb).

I also want to get into case modding (primarily a window). The thing I dislike about many cases is the window. They either have a fan mount in it (which rather defeats the objective of having a window in my opinion), are a wierd shape (what is wrong with a simple rectangle?) or go too far right (so you can see half of the hard drive cages). By making my own I could get it just right.

The Extreme4 has all the functionality I'm looking for though at a fairly acceptable price too. I don't like that it's a slimmed ATX board though...
    The Extreme6 is a full-size ATX board but is about 30 bucks more iirc.

Is there a noticeable difference between the WD Caviar Blue and the Caviar Black hard drives? Both are 7200 RPM drives, but the latter is considerably more expensive. It would be used for storage and for games that don't fit on the SSD.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-04-12 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'm not too happy about that either. I didn't even realize that until I read the Anandtech review after I had already ordered it, although I still would have likely chose it. The Extreme6 just doesn't have anything over the Extreme4 that I need, the only real big difference is the one extra PCIe slot (which is 2.0 x4) and that floppy header...

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Is there a noticeable difference between the WD Caviar Blue and the Caviar Black hard drives? Both are 7200 RPM drives, but the latter is considerably more expensive. It would be used for storage and for games that don't fit on the SSD.
    Nah, you won't notice much of a difference if you're only using it as a storage drive.

---------- Post added 2012-04-12 at 02:07 PM ----------

PCIe SSDs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5743/i...ing-in-1h-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    looking at it though, perhaps the computer forum is too moderated, not naming names, but some moderators seem to take things too seriously
    Duly noted. I personally think I'm giving it way too much slack, and looking at the other forums, I do.
    But this is not the place for that either way.

Seeing as Ivy Bridge-E is currently looking shelved, I'm considering picking up a z77 Sabertooth, another HD6970 if I can find it cheaply enough, and the AX 850 with purchased braiding cables (looks much better than most custom braids that people use, imo, whilst still being easier to manage), or go for a genuinely better PSU.
    Or forego the HD6970, or just go for two of the upcomming dual GPU cards with Accelero Xtreme's. Still not sure which. If the GTX680 hadn't skimped so much on GPGPU and their CUDA, and their later driver issues, green team'd be an easy choice. Now, I don't know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's what i'm looking at getting for a next build in the summer:

CPU: i7 3770k
    Motherboard:Either a extended gigabyte assassin or asus maximus z77 board if they come out with them.
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
    Hard Drive: WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 2x
    SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 4x in RAID0
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 680 2x SLI
    Case: Silverstone TJ11 OR Case Labs T10
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 1200W

All is going to be watercooled.

Money is not really an issue so that is why im going all out, want this build to be pretty awesome
    Feedback is appreciated!
    Last edited by Nyq; 2012-04-12 at 10:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyq View Post
    Here's what i'm looking at getting for a next build in the summer:

CPU: i7 3770k
    Motherboard:Either a extended gigabyte assassin or asus maximus z77 board if they come out with them.
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
    Hard Drive: WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM 2x
    SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB 4x in RAID0
    Video Card: EVGA GTX 680 2x SLI
    Case: Silverstone TJ11 OR Case Labs T10
    Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 1200W

All is going to be watercooled.

Money is not really an issue so that is why im going all out, want this build to be pretty awesome
    Feedback is appreciated!
    If you're really interested in a lot of feedback, you can consider making a thread in the computer build help subforum.

My input - wait for the 685 (if they actually come out with them) and get 2 of those instead of the 680s.

Also, get low profile RAM, imo, because it looks nicer.
    Go with the T10 case.
    Last edited by Uggorthaholy; 2012-04-12 at 10:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    If you're really interested in a lot of feedback, you can consider making a thread in the computer build help subforum.

My input - wait for the 685 (if they actually come out with them) and get 2 of those instead of the 680s.

Also, get low profile RAM, imo, because it looks nicer.
    Go with the T10 case.
    What is some good low profile ram?

Corsair makes a low-profile Vengeance RAM, G.Skill Sniper is pretty low-profile, as is Mushkin Blackline (which is my personal favorite).

Deleted
    I just thought this was hilarious
    Sup, want a slight overclock for 12 hundred bucks?
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2012-04-13 at 06:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    This is so going to devolve into a Mac vs. PC (Yes, I know "Wintel" would be better but ffs it's the established terminology) thread but here goes.

1) The current Mac Pro lineup is ancient, everyone is hoping Apple will refresh it soon (approx. 2 years since refresh).
    2) All OEMs charge a lot for minor upgrades.
    3) It's a workstation, not a gaming machine, those who buy workstations tend to care very little about a few hundred or thousand dollar price differences, you don't build your own workstations for all employees who need them, you buy a bunch that fit your use case and deploy them, that way you don't have to fix them yourself, you just ship them back to the manufacturer. $1,200 per seat is peanuts when you've got $10,000+ worth of software and custom expansion cards installed on each machine.
    4) It's Xeon CPUs, while those are fairly old Xeons are pretty expensive compared to Core iX CPUs.

Just picked up a Dell U2414M for $300 thanks to NewEgg's 10% off all Dell Monitors coupon! All that's left now is my CPU (and potentially the water loop if I decide to go that route).

Deleted
    Just picked up a Dell U2414M for $300 thanks to NewEgg's 10% off all Dell Monitors coupon! All that's left now is my CPU (and potentially the water loop if I decide to go that route).
    Sweet :-)

Unfortunately I can't use my Dell until my new PSU arrives. Sucks having just one power cable. Got my old LG standing right infront of my Dell atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    This is so going to devolve into a Mac vs. PC .
    only if you make points of argument

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mludd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/s8YQO.png
    This is so going to devolve into a Mac vs. PC (Yes, I know "Wintel" would be better but ffs it's the established terminology) thread but here goes.

1) The current Mac Pro lineup is ancient, everyone is hoping Apple will refresh it soon (approx. 2 years since refresh).
    2) All OEMs charge a lot for minor upgrades.
    3) It's a workstation, not a gaming machine, those who buy workstations tend to care very little about a few hundred or thousand dollar price differences, you don't build your own workstations for all employees who need them, you buy a bunch that fit your use case and deploy them, that way you don't have to fix them yourself, you just ship them back to the manufacturer. $1,200 per seat is peanuts when you've got $10,000+ worth of software and custom expansion cards installed on each machine.
    4) It's Xeon CPUs, while those are fairly old Xeons are pretty expensive compared to Core iX CPUs.
    To expand on this, the first CPU is an Intel Xeon W5650 the retails for ~$1,000; the second CPU is an Intel Xeon W5670 the retails for ~$1,400. With two CPU's that's $800 extra, so the $400 premium isn't that bad for an Apple, let alone any computer (I can guarantee Dell wouldn't be significantly different)

@noteworthynerd let me know how the U24 is in gaming...I need a new monitor sometime
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    @noteworthynerd let me know how the U24 is in gaming...I need a new monitor sometime
    A bit faster than the U2410, whom is quite decent indeed for gaming. If you want an IPS gaming monitor, I'd recommend the PA238Q, or that one if you have to have 16:10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    A bit faster than the U2410, whom is quite decent indeed for gaming. If you want an IPS gaming monitor, I'd recommend the PA238Q, or that one if you have to have 16:10.
    Eizo Duravision FDH3601. Anything less is not worthy of Lldemonll.

How easy would it be to put a window in a side panel (and make it look nice)?

Depends on how handy you are, and if you are decent at DIY and have the appropriate tools, I don't think it is too difficult. I plan on doing a side panel window like this to my Arc Midi: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1019278

Will look something like this:
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-04-14 at 12:11 AM.

Deleted
    Depends on how handy you are, and if you are decent at DIY and have the appropriate tools, I don't think it is too difficult. I plan on doing a side panel window like this to my Arc Midi: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1019278
    Thinking about maybe a window in the arc midi too. More so just b/c of the god awful space for a fan on the side that I think just ruins the case ^^ Will have to see how I live with it, again doesn't seem to difficult.

On another note, got my Extreme4 today! Might just put it in the case to see what it looks like more than anything else, although waiting for the white sleeving might be even more fun to set up at the same time :P

Have you decided on cooling yet NWN?

I'm thinking maybe just splurge on one of those xspc kits with a dual bay res and get an external DVD burner for the one time every 3 months that I need it (or use the laptop to turn the disc into an iso or something).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-04-14 at 01:47 AM.